Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Screen-Shot-2015-06-08-at-12.22.30-PM.png
What's AirPlay video? Being able to finally stream Web video from a Mac to an Apple TV perhaps?

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
When the new Mac Pro was announced in WWDC 2013, the keynote talked of how developers could unleash the compute power of the dual GPUs by saying "you know you should be using OpenCL" (sic). Now it's WWDC 2015, and Apple says "no, hmm, wait, don't use OpenCL, use Metal".

That's not serious, Apple, not serious. Even the "El Capitan" name is more serious than what you're doing to the standards you helped establish.

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
Safari-How about letting us clear the browsing history without wiping out everything else!?
Safari is the only browser without any options in that area and it's ludicrous

Zarniwoop

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2009
West coast, Finland
We'll find out soon. Before that, some clues.

On apple.com website it says:

"Metal speeds system-level graphics rendering by up to 50 percent (Footnote: Testing conducted by Apple in May 2015 using 2.7GHz Intel Core i5-based 13-inch MacBook Pro systems with 128GB of flash storage and 8GB of RAM. Tested with prerelease OS X v10.11. Not all features are available on all devices. Performance will vary based on system configuration, application workload, and other factors.)

...as well as making it up to 40 percent more efficient. (Footnote: Testing conducted by Apple in May 2015 using 2.2GHz Intel Core i7-based 15-inch MacBook Pro systems with 256GB of flash storage and 16GB of RAM. Tested with prerelease OS X v10.11. Not all features are available on all devices. Performance will vary based on system configuration, application workload, and other factors.)

...Metal allows the main processor and graphics processor to work more effectively together, boosting high-performance apps. And Metal is designed to be great for games, improving draw call performance by up to 10x and paving the way for new levels of realism and detail. (Footnote: Testing conducted by Apple in May 2015 using 2.7GHz Intel Core i5-based 13-inch MacBook Pro systems with 128GB of flash storage and 8GB of RAM. Tested with prerelease OS X v10.11. Not all features are available on all devices. Performance will vary based on system configuration, application workload, and other factors.)

...UP TO 4x FASTER PDF OPENING IN PREVIEW (Footnote: Testing conducted by Apple in May 2015 using 2.7GHz Intel Core i5-based 13-inch MacBook Pro systems with 128GB of flash storage and 8GB of RAM. Tested with prerelease OS X v10.11 and shipping OS X v10.10.3. Not all features are available on all devices. Performance will vary based on system configuration, application workload, and other factors.)"

In addition what I wrote, there is this:
https://developer.apple.com/library....11/index.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40016209

Developer Beta System Requirements
The OS X v10.11 Developer Beta supports the following Macs:

• iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)

• MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)

• MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)

• Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)

• MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)

• Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)

• Xserve (Early 2009)
So, El Capitan boots in old hardware, BUT Metal will work only in certain hardware. So far, only Intel Haswell and Broadwell are confirmed on Apple's test reports...

Last edited:

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
Here's to hoping this is a refinement OSX update. Yosemite has been one of the buggiest OSX versions I've ever used (and I've been using OSX since the beginning....dual booting OSX and OS9 for awhile). I've done multiple clean installs on my systems and still have random issues. /fingers crossed

Newfiebill

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2011
Still no Siri?

Yes, really disappointed we don't see SIRI integration this time around. I've been using Windows 10 for a few weeks and like the Cortana. It's not quite Prime Time but very useful. I really thought that with Windows 10 coming in July (29th) boasting Cortana that Mac OS X would be a no brainer..... oh well.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
So does this new MacOS run better than this last one? The last one Safari crashes more often and it loads longer and it just doesn't run as smoothly or fast as the one that came on it (My mac is a 2014 retina macbook pro that ran great until I loaded the new OS on it).

I wish I had done like some one else and stayed on Mavericks rather than update to Yosemite. The features were nice but I miss this computer being almost as fast as an ipad to load up and not pausing for memory usage every so often (I mean it has 16 gbs of ram, it shouldn't be runnign out and even when it does the pause thing it doesn't claim to be using all of it).

smartalic34

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
Could Apple seriously not come up with a more appealing name than "El Capitan"? That is the worst name for an OS in my opinion. Good thing it's features amke up for it's un-impressive name. Anyway, anyone know if those who are current Public Beta testers for Yosemite will automatically be able to beta test El Capitan, or will we have to re-register?

There aren't too many Yosemite-related names they could have used. Sure, there are sequoias in the park, but the link isn't as strong. Half Dome is the other topographical feature, but that name is arguably even worse for an OS. Just like Snow Leopard followed Leopard, Mountain Lion followed Lion, 10.11 is an optimization of Yosemite and I've yet to see a better Yosemite-related name than El Capitan (which, by itself, is a poor choice, but nice that they were able to relate the OS to its sire, so to speak).

The minor features aren't worthy of a new, strong name anyway. OS X Sequioa, featuring a few window management changes. Doesn't work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.