Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
I realise this is kind of controversial but wouldn't it be an idea (and nice) if the existing issues with the present OS i.e. Yosemite were ironed out before Apple moved onto the next version?

It is getting pretty tedious having all these tech companies churning out "the best OS ever" every 12 months. :(

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Does Safari finally remember zoom ?
I simply can't believe that I have to ask this, but it is what it is :)

Could anyone answer this simple question?

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
I stopped using Spotlight after they added Internet-wide searches to it - with no obvious way to turn it off. Elsewhere stories suggest the new version "includes more web search results" so I'm guessing it's even more useless. The Internet doesn't need to know about my search for "Mail from Brian about El Cap," no thank you.

Can that just be turned off in spotlight settings?

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
We'll find out soon. Before that, some clues.

On apple.com website it says:

"Metal speeds system-level graphics rendering by up to 50 percent (Footnote: Testing conducted by Apple in May 2015 using 2.7GHz Intel Core i5-based 13-inch MacBook Pro systems with 128GB of flash storage and 8GB of RAM. Tested with prerelease OS X v10.11. Not all features are available on all devices. Performance will vary based on system configuration, application workload, and other factors.)

...as well as making it up to 40 percent more efficient. (Footnote: Testing conducted by Apple in May 2015 using 2.2GHz Intel Core i7-based 15-inch MacBook Pro systems with 256GB of flash storage and 16GB of RAM. Tested with prerelease OS X v10.11. Not all features are available on all devices. Performance will vary based on system configuration, application workload, and other factors.)

...Metal allows the main processor and graphics processor to work more effectively together, boosting high-performance apps. And Metal is designed to be great for games, improving draw call performance by up to 10x and paving the way for new levels of realism and detail. (Footnote: Testing conducted by Apple in May 2015 using 2.7GHz Intel Core i5-based 13-inch MacBook Pro systems with 128GB of flash storage and 8GB of RAM. Tested with prerelease OS X v10.11. Not all features are available on all devices. Performance will vary based on system configuration, application workload, and other factors.)

...UP TO 4x FASTER PDF OPENING IN PREVIEW (Footnote: Testing conducted by Apple in May 2015 using 2.7GHz Intel Core i5-based 13-inch MacBook Pro systems with 128GB of flash storage and 8GB of RAM. Tested with prerelease OS X v10.11 and shipping OS X v10.10.3. Not all features are available on all devices. Performance will vary based on system configuration, application workload, and other factors.)"

They are hints as to minimum requirements, they are cherry picked hardware specs that gave them the best improvement numbers for the presentation.

GatorGhost

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2014
I agree..worst name ever...seriously thought it was a joke when I heard.

In Yosemite...I thought the actual mountain in the wallpaper was called El Capitan? My first thought today was it is the same thing as last year. However, like the name or not, I am enthused about the explanation of the new OS X version. To me it will be 10.11. I have a base retina IMac and have had no issues with the Yosemite as it is. Hopefully, the new attention given to the video system may make my unit even better. We will see!

jrc1000

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2015
I wonder if no longer spying on its users will be an included feature? Or maybe having Apple Headquarters track and record every search you do on your computer really is adding value to OS X. Does Mail.app still send your non-Apple email domain to Apple when you configure a new account? https://github.com/fix-macosx/yosemite-phone-home

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
I realise this is kind of controversial but wouldn't it be an idea (and nice) if the existing issues with the present OS i.e. Yosemite were ironed out before Apple moved onto the next version?

It is getting pretty tedious having all these tech companies churning out "the best OS ever" every 12 months. :(
I assumed that given the lack of new features it was obvious that this is what this release is?

Kavier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2010
Raleigh, NC
In Yosemite...I thought the actual mountain in the wallpaper was called El Capitan? My first thought today was it is the same thing as last year. However, like the name or not, I am enthused about the explanation of the new OS X version. To me it will be 10.11. I have a base retina IMac and have had no issues with the Yosemite as it is. Hopefully, the new attention given to the video system may make my unit even better. We will see!

I am not sure about the mountain in the wallpaper, but El Capitan is a rock formation in Yosemite Nat'l Park.

Harry Muff

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2014
And so it begins again... Yosemite just becomes stable and now a whole new OS X surfaces.

I really am going to stick with 10.10 this time, I've been burned too many times.

waysoftheforce

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2015
It's not even out yet, and the focus is on stability and performance. Maybe wait until September to reserve your judgment.

Well if the UI changes back to Mavericks style by September (which it won't) plus other niggles, then I am sticking with Mavericks.

Cmd-Z

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2014
Coyote, CA
At least they didn't choose "Half Dome" ... would lead to "Half Done" (or maybe that's what some would say about 10.10.x).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.