Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced the "Self Service Repair" program, allowing users to complete their own repairs via a new online store dedicated to parts and tools.

apple-self-service-repair-announcement.jpg

The Self Service Repair program will give customers who are comfortable with the idea of completing their own repairs access to Apple genuine parts, tools, and manuals, starting with the iPhone 12 and iPhone 13 lineups. The scheme will be introduced in phases, adding more repairs and supported devices over time. Apple chief operating officer Jeff Williams said:
Creating greater access to Apple genuine parts gives our customers even more choice if a repair is needed. In the past three years, Apple has nearly doubled the number of service locations with access to Apple genuine parts, tools, and training, and now we're providing an option for those who wish to complete their own repairs.

The first phase of the program will focus on the iPhone's most commonly serviced parts, such as the display, battery, and camera, but more kinds of repairs will become available later next year. Apple silicon Macs with the M1 chip, including the MacBook Air, 13-inch MacBook Pro, Mac mini, and 24-inch iMac, will be next to join the scheme.

The Self Service Repair program will be facilitated by a new Apple Self Service Repair Online Store, offering more than 200 individual parts and tools to complete iPhone 12 and iPhone 13 repairs at launch.

Customers who want to perform a repair will first be encouraged to consult the Repair Manual before placing an order for parts and tools using the Apple Self Service Repair Online Store. After the repair has been completed, customers who return their used or broken part to Apple for recycling will receive credit toward their purchase.

Apple cautioned that Self Service Repair is intended for "individual technicians with the knowledge and experience to repair electronic devices," and encouraged "the vast majority of customers" to visit a professional repair provider with certified technicians for "the safest and most reliable way to get a repair."

The company also highlighted the significant global expansion of service locations with access to Apple genuine parts, tools, and training, as well as the growing number of Independent Repair Providers that sit alongside Apple Authorized Service Providers.

The Self Service Repair program will be available to users starting early next year in the U.S. and expand to additional countries throughout 2022.

Article Link: Apple Announces Self Service Repair Program, Starting With iPhone 12 and 13

Last edited:

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
This is great news. As a frequent repair for family / friends, tech, I would love the idea of buying apple direct products as opposed to the garbage 3rd party options only available sometimes. iFixIT usually has good products, but have had to go with other 3rd party options when they didn't have an option, and have regretted it many times.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
While there are plenty of Apple customers who are capable of, for example, replacing the display on their iPhone, I also foresee quite a number of people who think they are and end up doing more damage to the phone by trying repairs themselves.

There will be a photo "hall of horrors" of botched DIY iPhone repairs!

People should be more conscious - if they really aren't comfortable, let Apple fix it. It's a consumer choice, which is great to have the option, but just because you can, doesn't mean you should!

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
Apple is smart doing this, because the people complaining about right to repair are very likely to be people willing and able to try repairing their damaged products. And when someone botches their own repair, they’ll take the device into Apple for a proper fix, keeping Apple’s good name clear from what often can be shoddy and/or overpriced third party repairs.

izyreal

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
USA
While there are plenty of Apple customers who are capable of, for example, replacing the display on their iPhone, I also foresee quite a number of people who think they are and end up doing more damage to the phone by trying repairs themselves.
And those folks will learn a valuable lesson about the value of skilled workmanship. They will then take their next broken Apple device to an independent 3rd party repair shop who will repair it for them for a reasonable price using genuine Apple parts.

Haha, or at least that is what I hope happens.

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
I agree. But at least they can choose.

I have replaced an iPhone 5C battery and an iMac hard drive three times. (Much more familiar with PC build technology.) Not something I enjoyed doing, but the feeling when it works is pretty good. Luckily, so far, never had the gung-ho mender's regret.

ruka.snow

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Scotland
Great to see from Apple and delighted it is for me to do my own repairs and doesn't necessarily give random third party mom and pop shops the rights to parts as they have been arguing for in their right to repair nonsense.

Reactions: Kris28
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.