Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple and Mercedes-Benz today announced that native support for Apple Music's spatial audio feature with Dolby Atmos is rolling out to select Mercedes-Benz vehicles worldwide, including the latest Mercedes-Maybach, EQS, EQS SUV, EQE, and S-Class models.

Apple-Music-Mercedes-Benz-Spatial-Audio.jpeg

As noted by The Verge, spatial audio requires a Mercedes-Benz vehicle with a Burmester 3D or 4D sound system, which can cost thousands of dollars extra.

Apple Music has been available directly through the MBUX infotainment system in newer Mercedes-Benz vehicles since last year. Spatial audio provides an immersive surround-sound listening experience that makes it sound like the music is all around you. Spatial audio launched last year on Apple devices like the iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Apple TV, and now the feature is available natively in a car for the first time.

"Spatial Audio is revolutionizing the way artists create and fans listen to music, and it's an experience that is impossible to explain in words; you have to hear it for yourself to appreciate it," said Oliver Schusser, Apple's vice president of Apple Music and Beats, in a press release. "Together with Mercedes-Benz, we now have even more opportunities to bring wholly immersive music to our subscribers all over the world."

Article Link: Apple Announces Spatial Audio Support for Five Mercedes-Benz Vehicles

Kar98

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2007
> impossible to explain in words

I guess? Because to me it seems, with AirPods Pro, they simulate the source of the music remaining stationary even if you turn your head, as if you were listening to fixed speakers instead of minor headphones.
Last I checked, headphones are bolted to the car and don’t move around.
Get a better sales pitch than “can’t describe it in words” LOL

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
Happy for you all without any noticeable hearing-loss, tinnitus and hyperacusis to get som new cool audio related stuff to enjoy. :)

I hope we one day find a cure to help people suffering from these quality of life affecting problems.

Apple, could you help speed up the researchers find a cure? I think you would get many new Apple Music subscribers and AirPod customers. :)

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
I wonder if spatial audio will ever come to aftermarket receivers? Even then, I don't know if I have any music/audio that'll take advantage of it. Too bad I probably wouldn't even notice anyways. Not that I need more distractions while I drive.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
So when you turn the car the audio keeps going the other way. Sort of like the Doppler effect. :rolleyes:

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
Happy for you all without any noticeable hearing-loss, tinnitus and hyperacusis to get som new cool audio related stuff to enjoy. :)

I hope we one day find a cure to help people suffering from these quality of life affecting problems.

Apple, could you help speed up the researchers find a cure? I think you would get many new Apple Music subscribers and AirPod customers. :)
Apple actually has done a lot of work on this for the hearing impaired. Everyone who has AirPods should adjust them to their audiogram, but if you have hearing loss the difference could be profound.

https://www.reddit.com/r/airpods/comments/xrih04

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Is the C class customer not premium enough for a feature $100 headphones provide?

Someone make a list of all the different apple features available on cars. I have to get a BMW or Genesis if I want car key? But an EQS class or S class for spatial audio? And then which of these cars will provide next gen CarPlay?

Woof.

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
Apple actually has done a lot of work on this for the hearing impaired. Everyone who has AirPods should adjust them to their audiogram, but if you have hearing loss the difference could be profound.

https://www.reddit.com/r/airpods/comments/xrih04
Yes, I'm aware of that and it's cool and all. I know it makes a difference for many people. But still would be even better to not have to do that. And the tinnitus is still there (if you have it) and could mess things up depending on its severity of course – like an unwanted sound in the mix. And some have hyperacusis so much that music can't be enjoyed on the same level as before or at all. Many are also afraid of using headphones

If you want you can read the story from this guy named Scott:

I have a constant high pitch kind of electrical sizzle/hiss in my ear that isn't too loud but more or less constantly noticeable because of it's high pitch that gives this kind of ”laser through the head” feeling. It is more or less constant torture. Piercing.

Wish the inner ear hair-cells and synapses in humans would regenerate, but it doesn't happen in mammals. There is potential however – the stem cell like cells that sits next to the hair cell in the inner ear could do once more what they did when we were in the womb. It happens in crocodiles if their hair-cells gets damaged! And in birds. Not in humans… :( And eventually we would all benefit from curing hearing-loss as we all (to a varying degree of course) will get problems as we age.

But tinnitus needs a fix too. It is pure torture (depending in how sever it is perceived of course – a mild variant is quite common but usually doesn't bother people during the day).

Sorry for being long-winded, but my life just isn't the same since I got this ear problem one and a half years ago now. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: japanime and Huck

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
Yes, I'm aware of that and it's cool and all. I know it makes a difference for many people. But still would be even better to not have to do that. And the tinnitus is still there (if you have it) and could mess things up depending on its severity of course – like an unwanted sound in the mix. And some have hyperacusis so much that music can't be enjoyed on the same level as before or at all. Many are also afraid of using headphones

There can be so many symptoms that comes come from hearing damage and hearing-loss.
I have a constant high pitch kind of electrical sizzle/hiss in my ear that isn't too loud but more or less constantly noticeable because of it's high pitch that gives this kind of ”laser through the head” feeling. It is more or less constant torture. Piercing.

Wish the inner ear hair-cells and synapses in humans would regenerate, but it doesn't happen in mammals. There is potential however – the stem cell like cells that sits next to the hair cell in the inner ear could do once more what they did when we were in the womb. It happens in crocodiles if their hair-cells gets damaged! And in birds. Not in humans… :( And eventually we would all benefit from curing hearing-loss as we all (to a varying degree of course) will get problems as we age.

But tinnitus needs a fix too. It is pure torture (depending in how sever it is perceived of course – a mild variant is quite common but usually doesn't bother people during the day).

Sorry for being long winded, but my life just isn't the same since I got this ear problem one and a half years ago now. :(
Did you see this advancement this week? The article makes it seem like it’s a big deal but this isn’t my field. https://news.ohsu.edu/2022/10/12/ohsu-scientists-discover-mechanism-of-hearing

• Love
Reactions: star-affinity
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.