Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RogueWarrior65

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2003
Redondo Beach, CA
How the hell does this work if there are multiple people in the vehicle? The acoustic sweet spot would normally be where the driver's head is thus leaving the rest of the passengers to suck it up. Or am I missing something?

• Disagree
Reactions: myscrnnm

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
"Together with Mercedes-Benz, we now have even more opportunities to bring wholly immersive music to our subscribers all over the world."

Rather...Bring it to only the elite rich subscribers all over the world....

Hey I'm cool of the rich elite have car accidents that don't hurt them except their wallets for repairs due to dis-orientation of joy due to Spatial Audio. Or with big huge demerit points and fines for not obeying emergency vehicle sirens ;) Yeah I'm good with that lol.

SnappleRumors

Suspended
Aug 22, 2022
I bought 2 SL500’s in 2004 (one for California and the other for Minnesota) and they’ll probably be the last MBNZ I buy. The sound system is not what draws me to the car.

• Wow
Reactions: sorgo †

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Honestly I don't know why Apple didn't just make a Music System that's easy to put in a vehicle. Makes more sense and sells more compared to putting it on a car that 99.99999% of people will never purchase or afford.
There are other cars on the way with Dolby Atmos systems. No vehicle built in nearly 20 years has an "easy" replacement for the infotainment system.

Reactions: cyb3rdud3

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
> impossible to explain in words

I guess? Because to me it seems, with AirPods Pro, they simulate the source of the music remaining stationary even if you turn your head, as if you were listening to fixed speakers instead of minor headphones.
Last I checked, headphones are bolted to the car and don’t move around.
Get a better sales pitch than “can’t describe it in words” LOL
You just described one small function Apple has included with Spatial Audio. And it's easily disabled while still having Spatial Audio.

BobSc

Suspended
Mar 29, 2020
Happy for you all without any noticeable hearing-loss, tinnitus and hyperacusis to get som new cool audio related stuff to enjoy. :)

I hope we one day find a cure to help people suffering from these quality of life affecting problems.

Apple, could you help speed up the researchers find a cure? I think you would get many new Apple Music subscribers and AirPod customers. :)
This post is so inappropriate for this thread. All it does is make me unsympathetic to your problem.

Reactions: Iconoclysm

BobSc

Suspended
Mar 29, 2020
Yes, I'm aware of that and it's cool and all. I know it makes a difference for many people. But still would be even better to not have to do that. And the tinnitus is still there (if you have it) and could mess things up depending on its severity of course – like an unwanted sound in the mix. And some have hyperacusis so much that music can't be enjoyed on the same level as before or at all. Many are also afraid of using headphones

If you want you can read the story from this guy named Scott:

I have a constant high pitch kind of electrical sizzle/hiss in my ear that isn't too loud but more or less constantly noticeable because of it's high pitch that gives this kind of ”laser through the head” feeling. It is more or less constant torture. Piercing.

Wish the inner ear hair-cells and synapses in humans would regenerate, but it doesn't happen in mammals. There is potential however – the stem cell like cells that sits next to the hair cell in the inner ear could do once more what they did when we were in the womb. It happens in crocodiles if their hair-cells gets damaged! And in birds. Not in humans… :( And eventually we would all benefit from curing hearing-loss as we all (to a varying degree of course) will get problems as we age.

But tinnitus needs a fix too. It is pure torture (depending in how sever it is perceived of course – a mild variant is quite common but usually doesn't bother people during the day).

Sorry for being long-winded, but my life just isn't the same since I got this ear problem one and a half years ago now. :(
What does any of this have to do with this thread? Can I tell you about my health issues that will probably be fatal within a few years? Let's all post about our health issues and how much they affect our lives.

icwhatudidthere

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2019
Why has Apple been so slow at bringing Apple Music integration to other cars? So far it’s only been the Taycan (is it available for other Porsches) and now these Mercedes. Or is it that manufacturers are fine with just offering Spotify.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Why has Apple been so slow at bringing Apple Music integration to other cars? So far it’s only been the Taycan (is it available for other Porsches) and now these Mercedes. Or is it that manufacturers are fine with just offering Spotify.
Because Apple offers Carplay and your typical non-iPhone owner is probably a Spotify user?

I would bet that it's about the manufacturers. Since they aren't standardized on a singular OS for their entertainment systems, creating many clients that need to be supported and updated for all of those OSes is a recipe for disaster. Just ask Microsoft with Skype for Business phones that had them maintaining 115 different Skype clients. When Teams came along, they told all manufacturers they must use Android Enterprise so they could maintain just one client.

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
Do you think Apple will support my 1998 Chevy Lumina or my 2000 Dodge Ram soon? o_O

BobSc

Suspended
Mar 29, 2020
This sounds like it could be dangerous in the car. I really don’t want to be near someone that’s hearing things coming from multiple directions on the highway.
Huh?? This statement is incredibly absurd! Ever been in a car on the highway? There are all kinds of sounds coming from everywhere. Cars driving past yours. Honks. Music from the car next to you? Motorcycles? And on and on and on. Assuming you have a car with some soundproofing, ever hear the difference in noise level between the windows open and closed? I'm sure you much always drive with the windows closed.

Apleeseed84

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2020
I'm curious as to why you have such animosity to MB owners and people who have a good job and some money. This kind of comment is so absurd and very telling.
Not really, since you would need the 3d,4d audio package in your Mercedes, a whopping extra thousand of dollars on top of the sticker price

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Spatial Audio sounds like dookie
Depends, in my opinion. Things that have been mastered with this in mind sound pretty damn cool. Music where it's been layered on after the fact can be mixed at best. I also get uneven results with TV shows too -- sometimes room tone or background sounds in the scene (traffic, ocean noise, etc) can become distractingly prominent. Spatial Audio also sounds pretty atrocious on a lot of podcasts and radio where it's mostly a person talking into a mic. I tend to flip it on and off in different listening contexts. Wish there was a button press on AirPods Max to toggle it.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
I wonder if spatial audio will ever come to aftermarket receivers? Even then, I don't know if I have any music/audio that'll take advantage of it. Too bad I probably wouldn't even notice anyways. Not that I need more distractions while I drive.
I have an old junker. I had to find a single DIN setup and I installed that. I put in Polk speakers, back and front. When I open up Music, I do get much cleaner locations for each instrument, and yes, sometimes the music comes from over my head. Not great, but lots of fun.

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
This post is so inappropriate for this thread. All it does is make me unsympathetic to your problem.

Was it really that inappropriate?
Seems quite a few people gave thumbs up. I get quite emotional when I read about new audio features knowing that it can't be enjoyed as before – and I know I'm not alone. But sure, it's not directly related. Just felt like getting it out of me. And maybe make people not aware of the problems one can get more aware (be careful with your ears). Sorry if it bothered you.

Can I tell you about my health issues that will probably be fatal within a few years? Let's all post about our health issues and how much they affect our lives.

Yes, if there article your posting in is somewhat related to your health problem I'll be happy to read it and I'll likely be sympathetic as well.

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
Happy for you all without any noticeable hearing-loss, tinnitus and hyperacusis to get som new cool audio related stuff to enjoy. :)

I hope we one day find a cure to help people suffering from these quality of life affecting problems.

Apple, could you help speed up the researchers find a cure? I think you would get many new Apple Music subscribers and AirPod customers. :)

Have you signed up to be part of Apples hearing study?

Reactions: hurley999jb
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.