Apple Announces Winners of Shot on iPhone Challenge

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced the 10 winners of its Shot on iPhone photography challenge that ran from January 22 to February 7.

Dina Alfasi from Israel, shot on iPhone X

The winners are Alex Jiang, Blake Marvin, Elizabeth Scarrott, Andrew Griswold, Bernard Antolin, and LieAdi Darmawan from the U.S., Darren Soh from Singapore, Nikita Yarosh from Belarus, Dina Alfasi from Israel, and Robert Glaser from Germany. A variety of iPhones were used, from the iPhone 7 through iPhone XS Max.

Photos from the 10 winners will be featured on Apple billboards in select cities, in Apple retail stores, and on Apple's website and social media accounts. Each of the winners will receive a licensing fee from Apple.

Apple's international panel of judges included its marketing chief Phil Schiller alongside a group of Apple employees and well-known photographers Pete Souza, Austin Mann, Annet de Graaf, Luísa Dörr, Chen Man, Kaiann Drance, Brooks Kraft, Sebastien Marineau-Mes, Jon McCormack, and Arem Duplessis.

100 years ago today the Grand Canyon became a national park. It is a source of wonder and inspiration -- one of America's greatest treasures. "In God's wildness lies the hope of the world." -- John Muir #shotoniPhone by @austinmann pic.twitter.com/KcnUj4PEml - Tim Cook (@tim_cook) February 26, 2019

View all of the photos on the Apple Newsroom.

Article Link: Apple Announces Winners of Shot on iPhone Challenge

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
“Apple announces a contest where they don’t properly compensate the winners” would be a more accurate headline....
If you don’t like the terms, don’t play the game. Everyone knew what they were getting into. There was no deception—no bait and switch.

Whining about such a thing is akin to complaining about not getting a paycheck after volunteering.
[doublepost=1551191459][/doublepost]
Do you people talk **** without doing any research at all?
Yes. Yes they do, in fact.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I don't know enough photography terms to even ask this, but how do they get that flat look as if you are very backed up from the subject yet the subject fills the frame, such as with the apartment complex? I feel like if I took that same photo with my iPhone it wouldn't look like that. Or really like any of those photos.

Reactions: Mansu944

PickUrPoison

macrumors 601
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
ARTISTS SHOULD BE COMPENSATED FOR THEIR WORK
Apple agrees! But there will always people who don’t understand art.

Apple believes strongly that artists should be compensated for their work. Photographers who shoot the final 10 winning photos will receive a licensing fee for use of such photos on billboards and other Apple marketing channels.

Reactions: Gasu E.

mollyc

macrumors 68020
Aug 18, 2016
Not a single portraiture :)
There is an envirommental portrait of a little girl in front of mountains.

I don't know enough photography terms to even ask this, but how do they get that flat look as if you are very backed up from the subject yet the subject fills the frame, such as with the apartment complex? I feel like if I took that same photo with my iPhone it wouldn't look like that. Or really like any of those photos.
You just have to keep the camera square to the subject to keep the lines. And stand close enough to the building so that it extends out of the frame, but far enough away to give context to the building.

dangerly

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2009
European Dis-Union
The photo has been retouched with sophisticated software such as Lightroom and/or Photoshop, or other less sophisticated and less expensive software.
The originally converging lines of the apartment building have been digitally straightened, it has been resized, exposure has been corrected, contrast enhanced and colors made more vivid.
With digital photography, it's normal to digitally postproduce the photos.

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
??? Almost all images are edited in some way. Why is that bad for a photography competition? Unless it is a strict journalistic contest I would expect editing.
The intent of the contest is "shot on iPhone", not "shot on iPhone and then edited to death with third-party software".

IMO, all editing should be done on-phone using only Apple-bundled software (like the Camera app). In other words, it should showcase what anybody could (theoretically) produce using just an iPhone.

mollyc

macrumors 68020
Aug 18, 2016
The intent of the contest is "shot on iPhone", not "shot on iPhone and then edited to death with third-party software".

IMO, all editing should be done on-phone using only Apple-bundled software (like the Camera app). In other words, it should showcase what anybody could (theoretically) produce using just an iPhone.
There are plenty of free or low cost apps designed to edit right on the phone. I would expect anyone shooting on an iPhone for an iPhoneography contest to edit in one (or more) of these apps. Although I have no idea what editing steps were used, any of these could have easily been taken and edited using only an iPhone.