Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
That's something the conservatives who criticize diversity definitely don't have.
[doublepost=1500789088][/doublepost]
You want to know what else isn't cool? Crying about an article on the internet because you're upset that a woman got a promotion and you didn't.

No one is "making up **** to fit a quota". She's been with Apple since before you were born most likely.
[doublepost=1500789143][/doublepost]
"sjw" is a meaningless buzzword.

I cannot understand the fetishization of diversity.

You still haven't defined "diversity," by the way.

Let's say you have two candidates for an engineering position at Apple; a white man and a black man. They are both engineers. They are both equally talented. They are both polite, respectful, present well, etc., etc. There is no question both are qualified "on paper" to do the job.

The black man grew up in a middle class San Francisco neighborhood and was educated at Stanford. The white man grew up poor on a farm in rural Wyoming and received his B.S. from the University of Wyoming.

If "diversity" is defined as "someone who brings a unique background and experiences" to the company, which of these hires brings more "diversity" to Apple, the nominally "diverse" black guy, who has the same background as a lot of the other Apple engineers, or the poor farm kid from Wyoming?

I'd argue it's the latter but those who fetishize diversity would argue it is the former.

I don't think anyone is "crying" because a "woman got a promotion." I think people are rightfully pointing out the tech industry's promotion of "diversity" is really just skin deep virtue signaling bullsh!t.

Volgin

Suspended
Jul 17, 2017
Smithfield, RI
I cannot understand the fetishization of diversity.

You still haven't defined "diversity," by the way.

Let's say you have two candidates for an engineering position at Apple; a white man and a black man. They are both engineers. They are both equally talented. They are both polite, respectful, present well, etc., etc. There is no question both are qualified "on paper" to do the job.

The black man grew up in a middle class San Francisco neighborhood and was educated at Stanford. The white man grew up poor on a farm in rural Wyoming and received his B.S. from the University of Wyoming.

If "diversity" is defined as "someone who brings a unique background and experiences" to the company, which of these hires brings more "diversity" to Apple, the nominally "diverse" black guy, who has the same background as a lot of the other Apple engineers, or the poor farm kid from Wyoming?

I'd argue it's the latter but those who fetishize diversity would argue it is the former.

I don't think anyone is "crying" because a "woman got a promotion." I think people are rightfully pointing out the tech industry's promotion of "diversity" is really just skin deep virtue signaling bullsh!t.
It is bull **** but it gives Apple an excuse to showcase how "progressive" they are and the media will give them a few extra "good boy" points.

Qualifications are secondary to melanin levels now.

Reactions: LastName

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
It is bull **** but it gives Apple an excuse to showcase how "progressive" they are and the media will give them a few extra "good boy" points.

Qualifications are secondary to melanin levels now.
It’s completely transparent, obvious and laughable, so it doesn’t particularly bother me when Apple or the tech industry in general does it.

What I find obnoxious are the true believers who fervently believe in this “diversity” fairly tale and are always looking to fight about it and characterize anyone who dares criticize the idea as racist or misogynist or whatever. I wish there was a name for such fanatic and aggressive defenders of the diversity dogma...hmmm....social justice warriors?

gregorynacu

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2017
Also wondering about the Watch. If Apple forces their execs to wear an Apple Watch, that would be bad. Dog fooding is good, but it can't get to the point where it's like Microsoft forcing their employees to use Zunes instead of iPods.

columcoyle

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2017
Appointing a sales/marketing executive as HR lead is such a Tim Cook move. the guy does not know how to run company culture
[doublepost=1501060074][/doublepost]
Also wondering about the Watch. If Apple forces their execs to wear an Apple Watch, that would be bad. Dog fooding is good, but it can't get to the point where it's like Microsoft forcing their employees to use Zunes instead of iPods.

They don't force them to wear the watch, every apple employee receives a hefty one-time 50% discount on a purchase of an apple watch. so most employees take advantage of this but a lot don't and have no interest, but if you're an executive at apple chances are you're deep in the apple ecosystem already and would likely get an apple watch anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.