Apple Appoints Deirdre O'Brien to New 'Vice President of People' Role

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 21, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today announced that it is promoting Deirdre O'Brien to a new head HR role, "vice president of People." O'Brien, who previously served as vice president of Worldwide Sales and Operations, has been at Apple for nearly 30 years.

According to the news release, O'Brien will lead all HR functions, like talent development, recruiting, benefits, compensation, and business support, plus she'll oversee Apple University, where employees are trained. She will be reporting directly to Apple CEO Tim Cook.

[​IMG]
    O'Brien first joined Apple in 1988 and has had a "key role" in each Apple hardware product launch over the past 20 years. She will start her new position as vice president of People in the fall.
    Apple has recently taken to announcing high profile hires and promotions on its news site, most recently sharing the hiring of Jamie Erlicht and Zack Van Amburg, two former Sony Pictures executives who will lead Apple's original programming efforts, and the promotion of Isabel Ge Mahe to Managing Director of Greater China.

Article Link: Apple Appoints Deirdre O'Brien to New 'Vice President of People' Role

2. btrach144, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017

btrach144 macrumors 65816

btrach144

3. desmond2046 macrumors regular

desmond2046

So Denise Young Smith was Vice President of HR and recently became Vice President of Inclusion and Diversity. So what is this people thing? Are their roles overlapping?

4. Gorms macrumors 6502

Gorms

More diversity at the top level is never a bad thing. Especially as the the rest of the VP’s hopefully aren’t going anywhere. Well, most of them... there is one guy who could leave and I wouldn’t be too bothered.

5. Urban Joe Suspended

Ironically, she's over so many people she will probably be as personally accessible as God.

6. Nebulance macrumors 6502

Nebulance

7. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

What an odd name "Deirdre", how do you pronounce that name?

Good luck to her though.

8. NMBob macrumors 6502a

I wonder if Apple is their own health insurance "company"? I'd think they could afford it.

Just something HR-ish that popped into my head.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 21, 2017 ---
    deer-dra. Kinda. I'd guess.

9. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

Diversity - cool

Making up **** to fit a quota - not cool

I'm not one to know things about Apple - The Business Side, but this doesn't sound real.

Yo Apple, make me Vice President of Air. I'll make sure the campus' air quality is on par. I require 100K salary and stock though

10. Olz macrumors member

Olz

Based on the pictures Apple puts out, you'd think everyone at Apple wears an Apple Watch. It would be refreshing to see one of the execs wearing something else.

11. nicho macrumors 68020

Deer Dree.

12. Glockworkorange macrumors 6502a

Glockworkorange

Define diversity. Is it just sexual organs and skin color, or perhaps diversity of thought?

13. lazyrighteye macrumors 68000

lazyrighteye

Wait, hold on a sec - You seriously think Apple made a decision about an internal promotion based on a promotion within another company? One made 2 years ago? And further support this belief because Kathleen Hogan was recently the subject of a recurring USA Today series focussed on influential people and how they got where they are in their careers?

Dang.

14. iLoveDeveloping macrumors 6502

Most Irish name EVER! :-D By the way, its DEER DRAAA (A as in, Bark). It's a very common name in Ireland. I would assume one of her parents are Irish with two names like that.

15. DoctorTech macrumors 6502

DoctorTech

I applaud Apple for doing this. When I first started my career, the "Personnel Department" was involved in employee development and ensuring a pipeline of talent to fill open positions. They even got involved in personnel issues between front line employees and management. From my experience working for 4 Fortune 500 companies over the past 30 years, when companies shifted to the "Human Resources Department" they simply became an extension of management rather than serving more as a mediator between management and front line employees - they lost all focus on people as people and instead viewed everyone as a "resource" to be consumed, deployed, recycled or discarded.

I like Apple's emphasis on People as people rather than "resources".

16. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Thanks to the both of you, I just found a Youtube vid.

17. neutralguy macrumors 6502a

I guess Apple has too much money to squander around in frivolous positions!!!

18. Rocketman macrumors 603

Rocketman

People are literally at the core of Apple. She will have the nicest office in the spaceship.

19. TimSHB macrumors member

TimSHB

She has people skills, she is good at dealing with people! Can't you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people?!

20. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Sure seems like an overlap. Diversity & Inclusion could easily be a function/group inside of HR or just an executive council that reports to Cook at meets once a month/quarter. It doesn’t need to be a position with its own VP.

21. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

Some hipster / fancy name for "Human Resources"?

22. Boatboy24 macrumors 6502a

Ha! Glad I'm not the only one who thought that!

[​IMG]

23. Jakexb macrumors 6502a

I think the role is very real. It's HR but even broader than that since it's including culture things like Apple U.
    I think it's the name that is weird. But HR roles consistently get euphemisms. Even "HR" was an attempt to sound nicer than things that came before it. Nobody likes to admit that "employees" have "jobs" at a "company"

24. kemal macrumors 65816

kemal

The last O'Brien I remember working on people was a real peach. Left me reaching for a Victory G&T.

25. mi7chy macrumors 601

mi7chy

Dr. Dre