Apple Arcade Launches for macOS Catalina Beta Users

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today flipped the switch to launch Apple Arcade for users currently running the macOS Catalina beta, which itself was updated to the golden master version just yesterday.

The launch of Apple Arcade on Mac will complete the rollout of Apple's subscription gaming service, with the service already up and running for all users on iOS, iPadOS, and Apple TV. While Apple touts Apple Arcade as having 100+ games overall, not every game is available on every platform and the Mac version of Apple Arcade currently offers about two dozen titles including Sayonara Wild Hearts, Operator 41, Big Time Sports, Card of Darkness, and more.

Apple Arcade requires macOS Catalina, and users currently running macOS Mojave are being presented with a "Welcome to Apple Arcade on Mac!" feature story in the Mac App Store. The feature outlines the Apple Arcade service and offers a "Check for Update" button, suggesting a public macOS Catalina launch may be imminent.

Apple Arcade is priced at $4.99 per month across all platforms, with Family Sharing allowing up to six members of a single family to access the service at no additional charge. A one-month free trial is also available.

Article Link: Apple Arcade Launches for macOS Catalina Beta Users

sugargliderdude

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2019
I didn't think Catalina would be out today, It can't be to long now though, but going by what all the beta testers are saying in the forums, i might hold on until its stable

Maclver

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2008
36°07′53″N 95°56′14″W
In looking at past macOS initial launches, they have been on Tuesday, Wednesday’s and thursdays... guessing next week?

Also give the fact the newest developer build was released as “candidate 1”.

noraa

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
Well damn, now I kinda want to install the GM... But Catalina has had a rough beta period :/

fmcshan

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2019
USA
Well damn, now I kinda want to install the GM... But Catalina has had a rough beta period :/
I feel the same way. I’m going to upgrade on my main Mac as soon as the public version is released so my reminders can finally get upgraded. I’m currently getting consistent error messages in the reminders app because my iPhone and iPad are running iOS/iPadOS 13 already.

Reactions: jonnysods

ersan191

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2013
It's missing a ton of games, I assume the developers have a deadline to hit for the macOS builds before Catalina officially releases. Once you see all (or at least most) of the games on there then I'd say the Catalina release is imminent.

EDIT: They seem to be slowly adding games, I'd bet Catalina is coming out Tuesday

Last edited:
Reactions: jjini

Timothy Leo Crowley

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2016
Cool. I didn't realize Arcade was on the Mac too. I have been enjoying the games on my iPad, phone and TV. I will try tonight on the Mac. Sayonara is an awesome game.

BGPL

macrumors regular
May 4, 2016
California
I wouldn't usually expect the release so soon after the GM but they want to get this thing out quick, since it didn't coincide with the new products this year. I would bet on Tuesday Oct 15.

I wonder when the big OS XI release will be....I thought they would have gone to 11.0 when they started calling it MacOS. It's just weird that they have stuck with 10 for so long. Maybe when they go to their own processor and move from Intel??

ersan191

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2013
In case anyone didn't know (I didn't), Catalina has native support for Xbox One and PS4 controllers now and they work with Arcade same as iOS and tvOS.

arvinsim

macrumors member
May 17, 2018
Although these games will probably have modest requirements, here's hoping that this would lead them supporting more GPUs *wink wink*

Reactions: star-affinity

borgeindergaard

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2017
Not renewing my Apple Arcade subscription after the free trial period is done. Very few games of interest... I’ll stay with the Nintendo Switch for games.

Reactions: Carb0n12

Vjosullivan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
Although these games will probably have modest requirements, here's hoping that this would lead them supporting more GPUs *wink wink*
That may well be correct. Although I have no interest in taking out yet another subscription nor spending my time playing what are basically children’s games, I hope it is successful and becomes a driver to improve Apple’s software and hardware.

Reactions: Marekul