Apple Arcade Now Available With $49.99/Year Subscription Option

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Arcade is now available with an annual subscription option, priced at $49.99 per year in the United States, $59.99 per year in Canada, £49.99 per year in the UK, and EUR49.99 per year in many other European countries.

Until now, Apple Arcade was only available with a $4.99 per month subscription in the United States, totaling $59.88 in a year. In other words, the annual subscription effectively provides 12 months of Apple Arcade access for the price of 10 months in return for paying upfront -- a savings of $9.89.

To switch to the annual subscription plan on an iOS device, open the App Store, tap on your profile photo in the top-right corner, tap on Subscriptions, tap on Apple Arcade, and select the one-year option.

Apple Arcade provides access to over 100 games across iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, and Mac, all without ads or in-app purchases.

The annual option was first spotted by German blog iFun.de.

Article Link: Apple Arcade Now Available With $49.99/Year Subscription Option

MandiMac

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2012
Thanks - just switched and from 16.1.2020 onwards I'll be saving 10 euros a year while supporting Arcade :)

djcerla

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
No brainer. Daughter plays 6-7 games, in no-ads, no in-app purchases heaven.

PS and I’ve finished the awesome Grindstone!

Reactions: Ar40

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
No brainer option for pretty much everyone. Significant savings to be had here.
Actually, it isn't a no brainer - why spend 50 dollars if you're not going to play a lot of games. I personally don't see value in this subscription service.

I'm not saying its not useful a great service for some, but rather its not for everyone.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Actually, it isn't a no brainer - why spend 50 dollars if you're not going to play a lot of games. I personally don't see value in this subscription service.

I'm not saying its not useful a great service for some, but rather its not for everyone.
actually it is a no brainer. This is meant for people who WANT this service. No brainer doesn’t mean everyone..... but you aren’t the only one to answer this post in similar fashion. OP should add “if you want this service” before “no brainer” to make it crystal to everyone, no?

Reactions: Ar40

gnomeisland

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
Still don't play enough games to make it worth it, but hoping for a services "bundle" in 2020. I already pay for music and iCloud—although I suspect a bundle would prob only include news, arcade, and TV.

JosephAW

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2012
How much of this service requires internet access? I only have cellular data in my location. Most of the iOS games games I play now have to run without data usage.

gnipgnop

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2009
Atari VCS Asteroids cost $50 back in the 1980s. People don't have much perspective on value these days.

DempaX

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2014
Sweden
How much of this service requires internet access? I only have cellular data in my location. Most of the iOS games games I play now have to run without data usage.
I think you can run all offline. Just download any of the 100+ games to your favo Apple device and roll. I think $50/y is a bargain for so many games but since kids conservatively did not want to play even one of them yet...

Reactions: JosephAW

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I'm hoping for more Steam games to become available for Mac, alas..
Steam must be at minimum investigating, or better still, preparing a subscription service, since it looks like subscription gaming will be here to stay. They'll have the largest library for sure. Hopefully GOG won't be far behind.

Reactions: otternonsense

Killerbob

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2008
That is most certainly UNFAIR pricing. The US pays USD49.99, and that translates at Apple to GBP49.99, EUR49.99, and CAD59.99. What a joke...

The brits are getting penalised majorly, and so are the EU customers. However, the Canadians are getting a discount.

USD49.99 is: CAD65.59, EUR44.82, and GBP37.46.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Atari VCS Asteroids cost $50 back in the 1980s. People don't have much perspective on value these days.
I have plenty of perspectives because many games on the PS4 and PC still cost 50 dollars or more. That doesn't mean I'm willing to spend 50 dollars on something that has marginal value to me.

actually it is a no brainer. This is meant for people who WANT this service. No brainer doesn’t mean everyone..... but you aren’t the only one to answer this post in similar fashion. OP should add “if you want this service” before “no brainer” to make it crystal to everyone, no?
I was bolding the fact that the other member was saying it was a no brainer for everyone to get it. Yes, if you think you'll get value for it, then by all means. I don't play that many games on my phone (maybe just solitaire) so why give apple 50 dollars a year when I'll not use it *¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Riversen

macrumors member
May 31, 2009
Waco, TX
Is it just me, but is anyone else struggling with the playability of a lot these games? Or is this for a specific group of hardcore gamers only who can adapt to any means of play on any device quickly to get the ‘understood’ ways of how the game play works?

I wanted to try it and did for a trial period, but I could not figure it out. I guess I’m too old for game play today and have been out of the market too long. I just wish they had games that did not require some super expert level of play or the ability to decrypt and decipher some time-consuming maze of logic, field of play, or historical knowledge. LOL.

My 3 sons are right... I’m too old and stuck too much in my logical business systems analyst coding ways to play games that require super sonic finger speed for combinations that are apparent for them. I will have to stick with puzzles.

Reactions: profets and femike