Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shk718

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2007
That's not the definition of vaporware. In general, vaporware is a product that company claims it's working but it never shows a preview to customers and no ship date is given.

This was a tactic that Microsoft and IBM used to employ back in the 1980s and 1990s. They would announce that they were working on a piece of software and show a few glossy pictures of it. However, they wouldn't give any indication as to a release date, and in many cases, they ended up not even shipping it. It was a tactic designed to intimidate competitors into shelving their software development plans.

By this definition, Windows 8 is vaporware. All we have seen is a graphical overlay of it. We have not seen it demoed in person. No timeline for release has been given.

Lion is not vaporware. Even back in October, we actually saw it demoed in person. Also, a clear release timeline was given.

Microsoft is still using this tactic - the folio comes to mind

Nipje

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2010
Wait a second, does this mean that Lion and new Macbook Airs will not be released this week?????

Just a few hours ago, they reported that it would be out this week. And now there is an actual email talking about submitting apps? I thought that it would take a week or more to release it, after the apps are submitted. :eek:

Lion can be released, even if apps are still being submitted.. They will just be added tot the app store later. I dont think that lion is on hold until all apps are submitted haha

Undecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
California
Full screen apps

As someone who regularly drags and drops between apps (or finder and apps), or likes to keep an eye on something going on in a separate window while working on the front window, I'm less than enthusiastic about the prospect of being forced (if that's the case) to work full screen only.

The desk metaphor seems to have served us well over the years - and I don't only have one item going on at a time on my desk.

hustle7

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2011
July18th or 25th?

Shouldn't Apple make any kind of announcement by now if they intend to release it on Thursday, July 14?

I have a strange feeling Mac OS X Lion will be released on a Monday (the 18th or the 25th) in this month of July.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
As someone who regularly drags and drops between apps (or finder and apps), or likes to keep an eye on something going on in a separate window while working on the front window, I'm less than enthusiastic about the prospect of being forced (if that's the case) to work full screen only.

The desk metaphor seems to have served us well over the years - and I don't only have one item going on at a time on my desk.

Fullscreen is completely optional.

MacNewsFix

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
Twin Cities
I'm guessing that all Mac App Store submissions from day 1 have required compatibility with the rebuilt Finder in Snow Leopard (10.6), which should mean basic stability with 10.7. My impression of 10.7 is mainly new APIs to take advantage of for new GUI and gesture features, should developers choose so.

Doubting there will be as much griping as there was from 10.5 to 10.6 when a lot of apps broke. The only exceptions will be those running old software requiring Rosetta. I'm guessing schools with ancient Macs running really old educational software will be the epicenter for any frustration. However, the fact that most of those Macs won't be able to even run 10.7 should keep any vitriol relatively muted.

Undecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
California
The only exceptions will be those running old software requiring Rosetta.

I happened to recently launch MacTheRipper, and now when I launch it, it says I have to install Rosetta to run it (with a button to do so). I'm on 10.6.8. Isn't that odd? Why would that be the case now, under 10.6.8?

About 6 months ago I migrated to a new Mac - was Rosetta an optional install? Perhaps it is and I never bothered to install it on the new Mac.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I happened to recently launch MacTheRipper, and now when I launch it, it says I have to install Rosetta to run it (with a button to do so). I'm on 10.6.8. Isn't that odd? Why would that be the case now, under 10.6.8?

Rosetta isn't installed unless you try to run a PPC app.

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
As anyone who has been using OS X for a while knows, anyone who adopts a new OS X version or update will suffer serious issues, poorly implemented features, bugs, etc. until at least the first or second updates are released.

Apple has a crappy record releasing new software to the masses...

An anecdote to combat your FUD.

I bought my first Mac on the day of Leopard's release. No problems.

I upgraded to Snow Leopard on the day of its release. No problems.

MacNewsFix

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
Twin Cities

About 6 months ago I migrated to a new Mac - was Rosetta an optional install? Perhaps it is and I never bothered to install it on the new Mac.

Yep. Rosetta was an optional install for 10.6:
http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/snow_leopard_installing_rosetta/

Further worthwhile reading:
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/the-impact-of-installing-rosetta-on-snow-leopard-spoiler-none/4786

I tried opening MacTheRipper, and it crashed. It is listed as PPC Code. I hadn't noticed the problem, as I've been using RipIt with greater success the last three years. The developer seems very proactive about updating the software whenever the studios try to throw a monkey-wrench into digitizing the newest blockbusters.

One other group I forgot in my previous post was those using Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac due to it being the last incarnation to offer Visual Basic for Applications until the newly released Office 2011 for Mac. However, due to all the changes to OS X in the last seven to eight years, it would definitely behoove companies to upgrade for the added stability and functions. Everything I've read seems to indicate old templates using VBA and written for Office for Mac 2004 work in the 2011 edition. Hurrah!

Obi Wan Kenobi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2011
London, UK
So no Lion this week, the text clearly reads:

"Submit your apps for review now so they can be available when Lion ships"

I agree. I fear this means the release date will be another two weeks, say Friday 22nd or 29th July. That allows time for Apps to be approved and for Lion to be installed on all machines.

Last edited:

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
10.1 September 25, 2001 Tuesday
10.2 August 23, 2002 Friday
10.3 October 24, 2003 Friday
10.4 April 29, 2005 Friday
10.5 October 26, 2007 Friday
10.6 August 28, 2009 Friday

I can tell you that Apple loves Fridays for OS launches

10.7 July 29 2011 Friday, anyone?

rebecca-black-friday.png

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Dang! I was really hoping that today was the day. I hope they accelerate the approval of these, it's not like they need to install all these apps on a computer now before they announce Lion.

Bring on 10.7, and bring on the minis!

MBABuyer

macrumors regular
May 4, 2011
VA
I agree. I fear this means the release date will be another two weeks, say Friday 22nd or 29th July. That allows time for Apps to be approved and for Lion to be installed on all machines.

#1 When they say shipped, it is not actually being "shipped," it means be available on the app store.

#2 The apps that will come pre-installed with computers with lion will have already been done, I am pretty sure this email sent out was not directed towards apps large enough that they would already be on the computer.

I could be completely wrong, anyone agree or disagree with me?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.