Apple Asks Federal Government to Stop iPhone Jailbreaking

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JD914, Jan 16, 2011.

1. JD914, Jan 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2011

JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

That's a good argument.

Are you on a phone contract by any chance?

3. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

If Apple sucks, then why did you buy an iPhone, and why are you posting on an Apple forum? :rolleyes:

My iPhone isn't jailbroken, but I agree that Apple shouldn't be trying to outlaw doing so - especially by running to the government. You are right in that once purchased, the phone is yours to do with what you wish, as long as you're not pirating anything or reselling the OS.

IMO modifying the bootloader is a long way from copyright infringement...

4. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

Apple sucks because they control their own company how they want because they can. They suck because they are on top of their ****?

5. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

We all know Apple likes full control.

Even if it became illegal, it would only slow jailbreaking down.

6. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

As much as I enjoy my iPhone, I have no problem switching to another device if jailbreaking somehow wasn't available any longer. With that said, jailbreaking isn't going away.

7. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

i totally agree. the only reason apple doesnt want people to jailbreak is because jailbreaking can sometimes drain the battery and other things can go wrong. they dont people giving them a bad name because of something thats not in their control. also they want to be superior ;)

but in all seriousness everyone should be able to alter their software as long as they understand what they are doing. Apple can void the warranty if they want so they dont have to fix others mistakes but they shoudnt be so obsessive about this when they have other problems they should be fixing

8. MarximusMG macrumors 6502a

MarximusMG

This is ridiculous. But thankfully, I don't think they'll get anywhere with their requests.

9. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

sounds like it could be the Government that wants their employees to stop screwing with their free iPhones and is using Apple to do the dirty work. :cool:

10. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

It's funny how people on a contract think it's "their phone".

It's the carriers phone, and until you pay back the subsidised cost via your monthly bill over 18/24 months, it remains the carriers.

That's why I bought mine SIM free from Apple, because then it is truly mine and I'm not in debt to a carrier for two years.

11. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Highly doubt this will go anywhere. Jailbreaking is here to stay, and unless Apple gives the consumers the features they want, then it will be the only option.

Do you want to get rid of jailbreaking, Apple? Here's a good way, give the consumers what they want. Problem solved.

12. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

Personally i dont have much use for Cydia besides an Unlock but hard work goes into it, but the major downfall of Cydia is it warns you something illegal but it wont stop you

if they remove that so it will not allow you to add any repos that are illegal jail-breaking would not hurt Apple in anyway

ON TOP OF THAT AT&T isnt the only carrier available in the US anymore so really they can't possibly have nothing wrong with Unlocking

At the end of the day Apple is just going to lose in court once again

13. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

this just means Apple is going to push more people to android.

14. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

I'm totally for it. I don't wanna see fake scores in Game Center. :mad:

15. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

This is nonsense.

The phone becomes your property (and responsibility) when you take delivery of it.

16. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Wrong. The carrier agrees to provide you with the phone at a reduced/subsidised rate as long as you pass a credit agreement and take out the minimum term. The rest of the cost of the phone is covered by the monthly fee which also incorporates the cost of services (minutes/texts).

A phone on contract is not "yours" until the contract is finished.

17. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

To quote the O2 contract conditions:

"2.4 The Equipment that we deliver to you or which is collected by you, becomes your
    responsibility once it is collected or received by you at which time ownership will pass to you,
    subject to paragraph 2.5."

(Paragraph 2.5 refers to the phone being faulty/not as described etc. with the right to return the product in those scenarios).

All other carriers have similar terms and conditions.

They do this to mitigate liability on their part when you are using the phone. If they continued to own the phone during the contract period, the carrier might have more legal responsibility to repair or replace the phone in the event of fault or loss.

18. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

The loss of jailbreaking would not kill the iPhone...most people who own one do not jailbreak anyways.

19. Leet Apple, Jan 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2011

Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

Actually its not

See if i tell you to take care of my cat (iPhone) for 17 months, your responsible for it but at the end of the day its my Cat, you can buy all the toys for it (iPhone Accessories) its mine unless i fully say its your cat (iPhone) to keep

For those who don't understand the story, even though you have purchase the iPhone for $199/$299 its technically not yours but it is your responsibility until you pay every cent for 2 year contract

20. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Yet, if you don't pay your bill (ie: pay for the remainder of the phone), they can arrange to have it "repossessed".

"Ownership" in those terms is extremely vague. It's not the same "ownership" as someone who buys the phone outright, as the power remains with carrier.

I'll never enter a contract again, carriers have too much power when you're locked in.

21. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

With the fact that Apps that require a jailbreak have nothing to do with Apple's app store have anything to do with this?

I've seen iTunes prices rise since I started buying iDevices and I wonder if it's apple trying to maintain profitability because a certain segment of their userbase is not connected to their planned sours of continuing income?

If I were Apple, I'd raise the price of the phone if I couldn't stop jailbreaking.

22. Daveoc64, Jan 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2011

Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I don't know what things are like in Canada (or the US), but I know what they're like in the UK.

I'm pretty sure that carriers all over the world follow the same pattern, because the things I pointed out in my above post apply internationally.

No they can't.

Repossession doesn't work like that.

23. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Spot on.

As I said, the terms mentioned above quote "ownership" but the bottom line is that you have to pay the rest of the cost of the phone over two years. You miss a payment or fall behind, the carrier can and will reclaim THEIR property as you failed to adhere to the "ownership" terms.

Totally different to someone who buys the phone outright.

24. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I'm a bit confused by the article linked to by the OP. I wanted to read the original article, but there's no link there to one ("reported by NBC"). The only stories I could google for relating to Apple and making jailbreaking illegal date from almost a year ago. The US copyright office already made a statement in July about this, and it won't be modifying that for another 2 1/2 years.

So before getting high and mighty about an unsourced article on some random website, how about linking to a more reliable source?