Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Actually its not

See if i tell you to take care of my cat (iPhone) for 17 months, your responsible for it but at the end of the day its my Cat, you can buy all the toys for it (iPhone Accessories) its mine unless i fully say its your cat (iPhone) to keep

For those who don't understand the story, even though you have purchase the iPhone for $199/$299 its technically not yours but it is your responsibility until you pay every cent for 2 year contract

No offense, but that is a terrible analogy.

And who cares if Apple manages to get jailbreaking considered illegal. Developers will still create methods of doing so and will use different channels for distribution. It will never go away.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
As much as I enjoy my iPhone, I have no problem switching to another device if jailbreaking somehow wasn't available any longer. With that said, jailbreaking isn't going away.

Same here. I wouldn't go to Android crap though. I'd just get a regular phone and save some cash. After having an iPhone, everything else is a step down.

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
It's funny how people on a contract think it's "their phone".

It's the carriers phone, and until you pay back the subsidised cost via your monthly bill over 18/24 months, it remains the carriers.

That's why I bought mine SIM free from Apple, because then it is truly mine and I'm not in debt to a carrier for two years.

....and this means absolutely nothing to the point of jailbreaking.

mad-dog-one

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2009
I would think that Apple would be more cautious about this kind of conversation that might prompt anti-trust (monopoly) questions about their own business practices.

Supraking

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2010
This is stupid.

Is not like somebody forces you to jailbreak your iPhone, it's all up to you to do it. The iphone, for me, wouldn't be that great if it wasn't for the jailbreaking. I'm really against piracy but they got to understand that not everyone jailbreak their device to just to pirate apps. I really like what the jailbreaking community offers like customization, apps and other great stuff like tethering.

I personally believe Apple doesn't like jailbreaking because having we have the future apple features.:)Like most of ios 4.0 features were available for those jailbreaked devices or through Cydia.

STEVE JOBS, I REALLY APPRECIATED THE DEV TEAMS AND THE JAILBREAKING COMMUNITY. AND YOUR IDCEICES WOULDN'T BE THE SAME WITHOUT THEM. SO FU FOR THIS ONE

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey

It's the carriers phone, and until you pay back the subsidised cost via your monthly bill over 18/24 months, it remains the carriers.

That's why I bought mine SIM free from Apple, because then it is truly mine and I'm not in debt to a carrier for two years.

Not sure I buy that argument, if I bought a new iPhone 4 tomorrow on a new contract, AT&T charges me $199 for the phone, if I cancel say 2 days later, the phone is still mine, AT&T just charges me $325.00 because I want to cancel my contract, still the phone is mine?

If Apple really wanted to they can push updates out to your phone, or force a non Jailbreaking scenario, they are trying to get the Government to do this so they do not have costs involved, kinda smart if you ask me, otherwise they have legal fees, and would have to pay developers to prevent JB phones.

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas

This logic would make sense if AT&T decided to reduce the monthly cost if you bought the phone off-contract, thus implying that you are not being subsidized monthly for a cheaper phone. At this time, however, they will charge you the same whether you buy the phone outright or on a two-year contract. If you decide to break the contract, of course you will have to pay back a part of the ETF. However, I see absolutely no point in buying a phone off-contract until I can get a break in my monthly bill similar to what T-Mobile does.

Leet Apple

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2009
Canada
No offense, but that is a terrible analogy.

And who cares if Apple manages to get jailbreaking considered illegal. Developers will still create methods of doing so and will use different channels for distribution. It will never go away.

None taken :p

If Jailbreaking was deemed illegal it would cause slower releases of programs like redsn0w

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Lots of comments on this post, but they all missed the ownership point in relation to this thread about jailbreaking:

It might be your phone. It might be the carrier's. But it sure as heck isn't Apple's !!

That may be a half true, the hardware isn't Apple's. But the iOS software is owned by Apple. And since the software is what is being modified in a jailbreak, that is what matters.

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010

How much did you pay for your SIM free iPhone? is there really an Apple issued SIM free iPhone? please let me know b/c in June 2011 I dont want to be on a 2yr contract with at&t.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
That may be a half true, the hardware isn't Apple's. But the iOS software is owned by Apple. And since the software is what is being modified in a jailbreak, that is what matters.

I was just about to ask if jailbreaking changes the code.

This is kinda interesting stuff. So if a person buys software they are not able to change it? I'm asking this out of ignorance, not rhetorically...what is illegal about a person buying something and then doing whatever they want with it as long as they don't steal something proprietary and then try to profit from it?
I can understand the argument about modifying the phone to do things on the network that Apple has specifically tried to limit. Like 3G Unrestrictor, for example. But what is wrong with jailbreaking a phone and doing purely cosmetic things to it?

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
$699/$799

But that is the price they offer at local at&t store if you want to buy it w/o contract, but it'll still be locked with the local carrier (in this case at&t) right? I meant factory, real factory unlocked.

Goldinboy17

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
San Francisco, Ca
As much as I enjoy my iPhone, I have no problem switching to another device if jailbreaking somehow wasn't available any longer. With that said, jailbreaking isn't going away.

I couldn't agree more. I've already messed around with a ton of other phones. I still prefer a jailbroken iPhone. However, if I could no longer jailbreak it...

Leet Apple

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2009
Canada
But that is the price they offer at local at&t store if you want to buy it w/o contract, but it'll still be locked with the local carrier (in this case at&t) right? I meant factory, real factory unlocked.

Purchase an iPhone out of contract and unlocked from Canada or the UK those are factory unlocks

if you purchase in america it will still be locked to AT&T

walie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2010

come to canada

Rooftop voter

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2010
Personally, I like iOS the way it is. I've been using it for years and never even thought of jailbreaking it. But if you think Apple sucks maybe you should switch to Android :)

Good. Dont jailbreak. I thought the phone was fine the way it was, then I jailbroke it and it made the phone 10x better, to the point where if I couldn't get certain jailbreak apps like bite, sbsettings, my3g etc, I wouldn't buy an iPhone. I couldn't go back to stock.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
I was just about to ask if jailbreaking changes the code.

Jailbreaking modifies iOS.

This is kinda interesting stuff. So if a person buys software they are not able to change it?

They are only able to modify the software in accordance with the license that Apple grants them. And within the limitations to Apple's exclusive copyrights listed in copyright law.

I'm asking this out of ignorance, not rhetorically...what is illegal about a person buying something and then doing whatever they want with it as long as they don't steal something proprietary and then try to profit from it?

IP is different than physical property. Copyright right law gives Apple exclusive rights to reproduce, distribute, and prepare derivative works of iOS subject to certain limitations.

I can understand the argument about modifying the phone to do things on the network that Apple has specifically tried to limit. Like 3G Unrestrictor, for example. But what is wrong with jailbreaking a phone and doing purely cosmetic things to it?

Basically, you agree to a contract (Software License Agreement) that prohibits you from doing those things.

Realistically, Apple isn't going to sue you if you jailbreak to change some icons or whatever. They're main concerns with jailbreaking are likely that it enables app piracy and allows things like tethering that are against some carriers' contracts.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Good. Dont jailbreak. I thought the phone was fine the way it was, then I jailbroke it and it made the phone 10x better, to the point where if I couldn't get certain jailbreak apps like bite, sbsettings, my3g etc, I wouldn't buy an iPhone. I couldn't go back to stock.
I could go back to stock but it would suck. It would be like watching HD and then having to go back to SD. Blech.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
I still haven't come across anything that lets me take this "report" seriously.

I've traced it to this: http://www.wect.com/Global/story.asp?S=13839395 posted Jan 13.

WECT seems to be an NBC affiliate in North Carolina. Unfortunately, they don't provide a source for the Apple quote, which sounds suspiciously like an EFF summary of the position Apple took a year ago when they were actively trying to stop the Copyright office declaring jailbreaking legal (the Apple document doesn't actually use the word "illegal") (http://www.copyright.gov/1201/2008/responses/apple-inc-31.pdf)

Nothing makes me think Apple is trying anything new to get jailbreaking made illegal.

Last edited:

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I'm a bit confused by the article linked to by the OP. I wanted to read the original article, but there's no link there to one ("reported by NBC"). The only stories I could google for relating to Apple and making jailbreaking illegal date from almost a year ago. The US copyright office already made a statement in July about this, and it won't be modifying that for another 2 1/2 years.

So before getting high and mighty about an unsourced article on some random website, how about linking to a more reliable source?

well there is this…

http://www.walb.com/Global/story.asp?S=13828282

WALB is apparently an NBC affiliate.

Still it seems rather odd that no other NBC news outlets are readily corroborating this "NBC" story. If one small NBC affiliate publishes something, does that equate "Says NBC"? Kinda pretty sure they have a clause that makes sure they're not held to that.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004

Ah, that was posted a day earlier than the WECT report I found, which looks like a word-for-word copy. The whole story smacks to me of some filler material an intern posted.

Hasn't stopped it becoming the meme of today - http://www.google.com/search?client...pyrights+in+those+programs"&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Edit: Actually, this looks like it might be the original source:
http://www.thegrio.com/news/college-student-makes-jailbreaking-a-business.php

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.