Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
I can understand Apple's concern here it could give the impression to an uneducated user that it is OK to jailbreak their phone since they are being encouraged to by what would seem like a legitimate source. I don't think it's much of an issue for Scion owners though as they are probably used to sub-par performance.

From the legal point of view it is ok. There should be better education about the risks when jailbreaking and how to protect better against those. But you can legally jailbreak and protect against most risks (if you do it right)

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
I don't see how Apple asking Toyota to take the theme down can be considered controlling or dominant by Apple? It's a question they could have said no. Unsurprisingly their relationship with Apple is more important than an ugly theme made with 30 minutes of Photoshop...

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
Honestly, I hope Toyota tells Apple to stuff it.
Too late. They already agreed to pull it.
I was more disappointed in Cydia's public response to the request. If the want to appear more legitimate, they should assume that conversations with 'clients' are confidential.

BTW - Apple can reasonably be expected to want iOS to be portrayed in a specific light. I think it's fine for Apple to have asked for the take down, so long as they did not threaten to take action against Toyota.

M2M

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Low! Apple just low!

nazaar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
Get the F over it Apple...
I just recently JB'ed my iPhone and it's sooo much better.
It's my device. I paid for it. I should be able to do what ever I want with it.

Don't give in Toyota!

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
But Toyota wasn't jailbreaking. Didn't the courts rule that Apple couldn't stop the jailbreak community?

Yes, but the ruling was based on the fact that it's all for 'personal use.'

Once they start taking $$$ from multinational corporations it sure seem less like 'personal use,' doesn't it?

I'm not a lawyer so I can't say for sure, but I sure thought Cydia was opening up a can of worms when I read about this yesterday. It's probably good for them that Toyota pulled out. I could see the jailbreak community getting less leeway with courts in the future if they start raking in millions of dollars. Then they suddenly start looking like a competing company trying to steal Apple's business, don't they?

It may be legal for Cydia to do this, but I was quite worried that it would make their lives very unpleasent in the future if they kept it up. I like how all the jailbreakers in this thread are acting like this was a good thing. It honestly could have ended up being the thing that caused the most damage to jailbreaking!

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
I'm fine leaving my phone un-jal broken. But I think Toyota and other companies should cater to the jail broken community too. Its understandable that Apple would ask. But hopefully it doesn't go beyond asking.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
How one big multinational company arguing with another affects your phone, I don't quite understand. Oh, wait...you're saying you WANT to make your homescreen a Toyota ad?

I tell you what, all you "I demand my freedom" folks confuse me more and more. The right to let Toyota advertise to you was never a big arguing point in the past for the radicals I used to read about.

I just don''t like to see Apple flex their power to do things they cannot legally force under the DMCA (per The Library of Congress).

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Me too.

I wish Apple wasn't so anti-jailbreaking. When I had an iPhone 3G jailbreaking was almost a requirement so I could get a lot of features I needed.

Apple is just trying to protect the user experience for their product.

Yes, it is ours to use and do with whatever we want once paid for, but.........
Every jailbroken iphone user will complain and tell somebody that their phone always freezes up or isn't working right.

They are not going to say in most cases it freezes, because I jail broke it!

That info makes it look as if it is Apples fault that things don't work.

Dr. Scott

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2010
Apple is strict. This request is not unusual for them. Piss them off and you get excluded from having your apps on the worlds coolest gadgets... And no corporate sluts want that to happen.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
i saw the thumbnail and thought "oh no! tell me that's not an iOS5 screenshot!!"

and it wasn't. it was an UGLY scion ad theme.

Hideous!
one of the nicer things about Apple's iOS than the other brands OS is the look of it.

osxtasy

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2009
Toyota quality>or= to Apple quality of late....

"Toyota had agreed to do so to "maintain their good relationship with Apple," "

Toyota has a relationship with Apple, good or bad? Why? I don't see the connection.

Well, to be honest, BOTH of there "Quality Assurance" (or rather lack thereof) has gone severly downhill in the last couple years. Oh yea, I say this as an owner of BOTH companies products....sadly:(:(

Now "HOW YA LIKE THEM APPLES STEVE JOBS??" 

DomC

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
That takes some balls. Perhaps Toyota can have a say on some Apple product? I thought it was genius of Toyota to do the theme. They probably found the Scion buyer is the same demographic that jailbreaks a phone. Sounds like good marketing to me.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
So uh what exactly would Toyota lose if they tell Apple to stick it? At best all I can guess are licenses to use use an iPod trademark or something similar to integrate into the car stereo, if they even have that option. I can't think of anything else.

mikeapple

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2010
Toyota is not obligated to do anything... BUT i doubt they want to burn any bridges with the most innovative and powerful tech company on the planet...

If I was Toyota, I'd be honored to get a call from Apple... surely anyone can make a jailbreak theme, but it takes being close with another company for them to be asked to take it down.

kwjohns

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2007
The few hours they paid someone to make this theme has netted Toyota many news articles/discussion of "free advertising" that has come of offering the irrelevant skin and now the followup stories of them being asked to remove the theme.

+1 for Toyota for succeeding in this marketing campaign.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.