Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doc C

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2013
The idea tends to be repeated due to concerns with displacement of human labor. People need money to purchase or rent housing, buy food, clothing, etc, which we effectively mandate (even clothing is essentially mandated). If that model of society breaks down, you no longer have a functional society. This could result in any number of things, but it certainly doesn't work to assume that people will disappear if they can't find work.

Their suggestions are basically one abstract model that has come up. Since it's not a real consideration for any government that I know of today, they wouldn't have implementation details available. I see it more as recognition of a potential future problem that we will most likely have to address in some manner, probably within my own lifetime.

Keep in mind that their suggestions might sound dysfunctional, but they are most likely concerned that what we have today will stop working.

Universal Basic Income is actually already being tested in Finland, and there may be a trial in Ontario, Canada soon as well. Some form of the idea has been tossed around for over 40 years, but nobody has had the courage to really give it an honest try (nor has there been any urgency). Partisan politics haven't helped either, though Wikipedia seems to suggest that the conservative side of the spectrum is starting to warm up to the idea (my experience is that the loudest proponents are at the far left).

Part of the theory is that everyone is eligible, so there is no means test. It would free people to choose what they want to do - if they choose to work, then clearly they would make more on top of the UBI, and would have more to spend on whatever they choose. On the other hand, the administrative costs of running welfare, etc would disappear. Taxes would likely have to rise a bit, though it isn't clear how much (estimates vary, and frankly, I don't know if I trust any of them, as nobody seems to account for secondary effects).

There is a decent (though incomplete) description of the concept on Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_income

The key is that, at some point soon, we need to get our heads around the idea that the current model won't keep working. Whatever form that a new system takes, it's likely going to be a painful transition.

EDIT: Sorry to go so far off topic....just wanted to correct one little comment....

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Siri can't even figure out which "to" "too" or "two" I mean to use with voice recognition. I sure as heck wouldn't trust Apple with my life.

I have tried hard to replicate this issue of yours, just doesn't happen for me.
I feel like there is some sort of trend around here making jokes about Siri.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Nobody mentioned mapping in UK, so you are off topic. In America, it works as described mate.

Moreover, as far as Master ID, try reading your terms of service with Google and get informed. Google tells you that they link all of your data across all of the services under a single identifier, that way where you drive, what you search for, your browsing, every email you send or receive via Gmail is scanned and retained, every document you upload, every photo you upload, etc. Google makes over 90% of all of its revenue from selling you to advertisers. It hasn't a thing to do with cookies as you seem to think. You don't use cookies when you use Google Maps, you don't use cookies when someone sends you an email, you don't use cookies when you upload a document to Google docs, when you use their messaging or chats, etc., etc.

You didn't really think those services were "free" did you? LOL. Again, take the time to read your terms of service to keep from embarrassing yourself and misinforming others. If you are comfortable with their being a massive dossier on you by Google that is accessible to hackers, the government, law enforcement, intel services, and of course advertisers, by all means keep using their services. Many of the rest of us aren't, and thank heavens Apple cares about privacy. As one of the leading Intel officials quipped, if Google didn't exist, we would have had to invent it.

I see.....so it works great everywhere great in the US, and the rest of the work is irrelevant? Though do explain how it works great with no online mode in the US as that was my main gripe in the UK....do tell

Google.

It's not how it works. That identifier is not linked to you.

Let's do this rationally. Let's take the most common tracking first. Google analytics. This data uses sampling, geographical data collection and the usual site traffic info, it's anonoymous and never links to YOU. Google can sell this data , though never does it link to you . As you are just a dynamic IP given by your ISP associated with an anonymous ID in google analytics . Yes ...we spend a long time looking into this from a legal and data protection point of view. No personal information is captured

So..... this raises the issue of companies using analytics to track us . Many use GA, many use adobe etc.....guess what , Apple tracks you using analytics! So can we agree that GA is a tool that tracks a anonymous user Behaviour like other tools out there. Be it free or paid...(google has both) they all do the same thing and apple runs analytics on their apps and software, be it mobile or net?

Let's start with one. I will demonstrate to you that apple does exactly the same thing.....using an equivalent google tool to capture exactly the same behaviour . The difference , when google does it anonymous ....it's a crime , when apple does it, they they about our privacy.

Google never ever sells your personal data!!! They sell sample data that has no personal attributes . Like 95% of people in Manchester visit man united football website.... do I fit into that 95%.... maybe , maybe not, as in that's that there is not link to me. Do you get it ? Cause they never capture it in a master Id that links to me

Have you read the apple T&Cs.... I'm happy to do it with you. Just say and we can start.

You want scary....look at CDNs like Akamai. intel officials also drool over those ....guess what , again used by apple in a massive scale. So much data on our behaviour.....I know , we also used them.

Between analytics suites of software, all the tracking companies do, and a CDN.....mate....you keep residing how apple cares so much about our privacy . They collect the data just like google. And data mine the crap out of it using the same techiques. Of all the massive companies, Microsoft is actually one of the better ones in terms of data privacy .
[doublepost=1493013655][/doublepost]
I have tried hard to replicate this issue of yours, just doesn't happen for me.
I feel like there is some sort of trend around here making jokes about Siri.

Try this.

Activate Siri : say "world cup"

Siri tell you the result of the last World Cup .

Nothing about the 2018 World Cup

Activate site : say "rugby World Cup"

Siri tells you it knows nothing about a rugby World Cup.

First reference is a year is 2015.

Just used google for both results I got the 2018 and 2019 world cups. So my question to you, which is more useful?

This is the same Siri that when during the rio Olympic i asked for the Olympic medal tally and was show the 2012 one.... the 2016 olympics were on...

Sorry it's a joke.... you just need to spent some time asking both questions about the things your are interested in. Try it

Reactions: TechGeek76

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Try this.

Activate Siri : say "world cup"

Siri tell you the result of the last World Cup .

Nothing about the 2018 World Cup

Activate site : say "rugby World Cup"

Siri tells you it knows nothing about a rugby World Cup.

First reference is a year is 2015.

Just used google for both results I got the 2018 and 2019 world cups. So my question to you, which is more useful?

This is the same Siri that when during the rio Olympic i asked for the Olympic medal tally and was show the 2012 one.... the 2016 olympics were on...

Sorry it's a joke.... you just need to spent some time asking both questions about the things your are interested in. Try it

I have to admit, I don't ask Siri any sport related questions. But I will try your questions. And when I ask questions I am usually specific and I dont let Siri trying to guess what I really want. So for example if I wanted info about World Cup 2018, that's exactly what I will ask and not just World Cup. Las time I checked Siri did not have magic ball.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I have to admit, I don't ask Siri any sport related questions. But I will try your questions. And when I ask questions I am usually specific and I dont let Siri trying to guess what I really want. So for example if I wanted info about World Cup 2018, that's exactly what I will ask and not just World Cup. Las time I checked Siri did not have magic ball.

Okay. Use Siri and say "next World Cup"

Enough context? It's clear instructions to search for the 2018 World Cup. It's the biggest global sporting event.... enough instructions to get results for 2018 World Cup right .... no magic ball here.

It's gets more sad. Say "2018 World Cup" ...... how freakin' sad and of a joke the reply..... yes mate Siri is a joke!!!! Even when you feed it

The whole world and google knows the answer ...except Siri.... best u get is the result of 2014

Fiachers

Suspended
Dec 27, 2016
We don't know that Apple's plans to build a car "fell through" because we never had any actual information that they were planning on building one. All we really had to support that idea was a lot of wishful thinking accompanied by the usual fantasy renderings. Not the same thing as reality, last I checked.

Ummm. Yes, they were. You must not have been following this at all.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Ummm. Yes, they were. You must not have been following this at all.

Every bit of it. All anyone could say with any confidence was that Apple has been working on something automotive, which we knew already. The "Apple Car" hopes were based entirely on speculation and wishful thinking, and not a shred of real evidence.

Rainshadow

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2017
It's much better to be killed by a loved one than by an unfeeling machine. And it's better for the loved one, too, knowing that their distracted driving caused your death.

I don't know if you are being sarcastic or what, but you cannot be serious. First, if you're dead, you don't care "who killed you" and I would argue it would be INFINITELY better for a machine than a person who will have to live with it for the rest of their lives. Unless you are a vindictive tool, no one should want anyone to live with that guilt.

Back to my comment though. This will slowly become mainstream, not because it is "cool" or makes life easier, but because it will be safer in the long run.

I'd rather have a .001% chance of being killed by an "unfeeling machine" than a .1% chance of being killed by a "loved one" as you see it.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
I don't know if you are being sarcastic or what, but you cannot be serious. First, if you're dead, you don't care "who killed you" and I would argue it would be INFINITELY better for a machine than a person who will have to live with it for the rest of their lives. Unless you are a vindictive tool, no one should want anyone to live with that guilt.

Back to my comment though. This will slowly become mainstream, not because it is "cool" or makes life easier, but because it will be safer in the long run.

I'd rather have a .001% chance of being killed by an "unfeeling machine" than a .1% chance of being killed by a "loved one" as you see it.
Of course I was being sarcastic.

I do think you're wrong about autonomous driving becoming mainstream because it's safer. It will happen because it is convenient. Even people who say they "like to drive" will make use of features like cruise control that automatically passes the slow car in front, or a feature that automatically backs the car out of the garage, or a feature that drops them off at the entrance to the store and then goes to search for a parking space. By the time we get to level five fully autonomous automobiles, much of our driving will be autonomous already.

barmann

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2010
Germany
Of course I was being sarcastic.

I do think you're wrong about autonomous driving becoming mainstream because it's safer. It will happen because it is convenient. Even people who say they "like to drive" will make use of features like cruise control that automatically passes the slow car in front, or a feature that automatically backs the car out of the garage, or a feature that drops them off at the entrance to the store and then goes to search for a parking space. By the time we get to level five fully autonomous automobiles, much of our driving will be autonomous already.

I beg to differ .

Autonomous driving already exists, it is called public transport .
Beyond that, there really isn't anything but pipe dreams .

The future is all about eliminating individual transportation as much as possible .
As a matter of fact, most developed nations have moved in that direction decades ago .

In the meantime, companies like Apple will try to get as big a piece of that pie as they can, under the guise of supporting individual transport .

Autonomous and individual driving will not ever coexist .
It's mutually exclusive, and more complex than growing corn on Mars .

But while noone will support growing corn on Mars , or anything else, autonomous cars get a lot of press .

It just won't happen .

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
I beg to differ .

Autonomous driving already exists, it is called public transport .
Beyond that, there really isn't anything but pipe dreams .

The future is all about eliminating individual transportation as much as possible .
As a matter of fact, most developed nations have moved in that direction decades ago .

In the meantime, companies like Apple will try to get as big a piece of that pie as they can, under the guise of supporting individual transport .

Autonomous and individual driving will not ever coexist .
It's mutually exclusive, and more complex than growing corn on Mars .

But while noone will support growing corn on Mars , or anything else, autonomous cars get a lot of press .

It just won't happen .
Partly autonomous driving already coexists with individual driving. My car has radar-assisted cruise control. Tesla's version changes lanes automatically.

Autonomous driving is just a superset of features like these. When the last of these features becomes available, most people will say, "Meh, my car already does 90% of that. What took them so long?"

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
While Apple is still getting off the ground, Google Waymo is already starting autonymous ride sharing service.

Fenez

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2014
Tesla had a lot of experience also. I'd rather drive a safe autonomous vehicle in 10 years than an unsafe one today.
As soon as electric vehicles make a dent in gas sales then we can all start worrying about self driving cars all over the road.

Reactions: I7guy

Doc C

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2013
...Let's take the most common tracking first. Google analytics. This data uses sampling, geographical data collection and the usual site traffic info, it's anonymous and never links to YOU. Google can sell this data , though never does it link to you . As you are just a dynamic IP given by your ISP associated with an anonymous ID in google analytics . Yes ...we spend a long time looking into this from a legal and data protection point of view. No personal information is captured

So..... this raises the issue of companies using analytics to track us . Many use GA, many use adobe etc.....guess what , Apple tracks you using analytics! So can we agree that GA is a tool that tracks a anonymous user Behaviour like other tools out there. Be it free or paid...(google has both) they all do the same thing and apple runs analytics on their apps and software, be it mobile or net?

Let's start with one. I will demonstrate to you that apple does exactly the same thing.....using an equivalent google tool to capture exactly the same behaviour . The difference , when google does it anonymous ....it's a crime , when apple does it, they they about our privacy.

Google never ever sells your personal data!!! They sell sample data that has no personal attributes . Like 95% of people in Manchester visit man united football website.... do I fit into that 95%.... maybe , maybe not, as in that's that there is not link to me. Do you get it ? Cause they never capture it in a master Id that links to me

Have you read the apple T&Cs.... I'm happy to do it with you. Just say and we can start.

You want scary....look at CDNs like Akamai. intel officials also drool over those ....guess what , again used by apple in a massive scale. So much data on our behaviour.....I know , we also used them.

Between analytics suites of software, all the tracking companies do, and a CDN.....mate....you keep residing how apple cares so much about our privacy . They collect the data just like google. And data mine the crap out of it using the same techiques. Of all the massive companies, Microsoft is actually one of the better ones in terms of data privacy.

You provide a host of interesting information. I wonder if you could elaborate - it is certainly off-topic, so if you prefer, I am open to PM or another means of communication.

In particular, I am concerned about privacy as it applies to two situations:

Firstly, I am a physician, so I often use my devices for patient-related activity. I try to be as careful as possible with regards to patient privacy, and have always been under the impression that it was safer to use iMessage rather than plain texting or WhatsApp. I would go to one of the others, like Signal, however none of my colleagues use it, so that's not a viable option. Any guidance regarding best options and pros/cons is appreciated.

Secondly, and more importantly, I am concerned regarding my family's privacy. With the controversy surrounding monitoring of net traffic and such, I believe that, even if the government has no use for monitoring us, there is always the risk of data being released, and other actors may not be benign. The rules in Canada are stricter than in the US, however data is often transmitted through US servers, so we are still affected by changes in US legislation. We currently use free email services, however are looking into paid alternatives. From the sounds of it, Gmail may be reasonable to use, though this is contrary to the common belief. Any comments regarding this would be helpful as well

Thanks for any guidance

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.