Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has developed a training program to instruct employees on how to handle cars being used to test its autonomous driving software platform, according to documents obtained by Business Insider.

The company's "Development Platform Specific Training" document references an "Apple Automated System" and a "Development platform," alluding to the self-driving software platform Apple is rumored to be building after plans for a full autonomous electric vehicle fell through.

Click to enlarge​

Apple recently obtained a permit from the California DMV that will allow it to test self-driving vehicles on public roads, and as part of that process, the company appears to be training employees to use whatever system it's testing. According to the DMV, Apple plans to use three 2015 Lexus RX450h SUVs, which will be driven by six drivers with expertise in areas like machine learning.

Based on the documents, drivers are required to pass seven tests as part of their training before being allowed to work with Apple's software platform. Each driver must complete two practice runs and three trials to pass tests, which cover topics like taking control of the vehicle at tight U-turns, sudden acceleration, sudden braking, and more.

Click to enlarge​
According to the training packet, Apple's self-driving car uses a Logitech wheel and pedals to actuate drive by wire, and it supports one person at a time.

Pressing the brake pedal or grabbing the steering wheel in Apple's test vehicles will disengage the electronic driving mode, but drivers can accelerate without overriding the "drive by wire" mode.
Apple's work in the car industry has been something of an open secret for the past three years. The company was originally planning to create its own autonomous vehicle, but pivoted to an autonomous driving software platform following internal strife and leadership issues.

Apple is now said to be creating a driving system under the leadership of Bob Mansfield, with the car team having been given until the end of this year to prove the feasibility of a self-driving car platform. Such a system could potentially allow Apple to partner with car manufacturers as a sort of expansion of CarPlay.

With Apple ready to test the software on public roads, it appears development is fairly far along. Should the company take vehicles out on California streets, its work will need to be publicly shared with the DMV based on California law.

Article Link: Apple Autonomous Driving Training Program Confirms Self-Driving Software Platform

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
Can someone tell me who they are creating this software for? All the major automakers already investing billions in this space. They don't need Apple. Plus has Apple ever been successful being a piece of technology in somebody else's product? Unless their goal is their own vehicles for some self driving ridesharing service I see big fail all over this.

ps3zocker

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2012
Well, Apple is not building software for others here. I believe they just stopped the whole (real) car project because they thought the software is the most important thing here. Without software there is no hardware. Building the car is probably the more trivial thing here compared to autonomous driving. They can build this when the software is ready.

WhoDaKat

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
Siri can't even figure out which "to" "too" or "two" I mean to use with voice recognition. I sure as heck wouldn't trust Apple with my life.

It picks the right one for me. You have to give it context to understand what you mean. You can't just say, "to" and it expect it to know. But if you say, "I too would like to buy two flowers", it works just fine.

TechGeek76

Suspended
Jul 18, 2016
Well, Apple is not building software for others here. I believe they just stopped the whole (real) car project because they thought the software is the most important thing here. Without software there is no hardware. Building the car is probably the more trivial thing here compared to autonomous driving. They can build this when the software is ready.
They aren't building a car.... and never were.

Reactions: SeattleMoose

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Can someone tell me who they are creating this software for? All the major automakers already investing billions in this space. They don't need Apple. Plus has Apple ever been successful being a piece of technology in somebody else's product? Unless their goal is their own vehicles for some self driving ridesharing service I see big fail all over this.

Becausemost of the platforms currently run on Blackberries platform QNX and Apple believes they can play the same game as Blackberry?

that's kind of my guess

or there's legitimate belief autonomous driving is the future.

RamsayBolton

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2017
Siri can't even figure out which "to" "too" or "two" I mean to use with voice recognition. I sure as heck wouldn't trust Apple with my life.

Problem is, whether you trust self driving cars or not, you still might be crippled or killed by one.

AngerDanger

macrumors 603
Dec 9, 2008
Are you forgetting about this massively successful product?

motorola-rokr-e1-combo.jpg

…okay, maybe you have a point.

WRChris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Indiana
Maybe I'm old fashioned but I would rather drive then wait on a computer error to kill me.

Can I ride in the driver seat drunk if I'm not even driving? In the case of a computer error who would be liable for death or damages? I bet the big companies who push this tech would be as far away from liability as they could be.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Maybe I'm old fashioned but I would rather drive then wait on a computer error to kill me.

Can I ride in the driver seat drunk if I'm not even driving? In the case of a computer error who would be liable for death or damages? I bet the big companies who push this tech would be as far away from liability as they could be.
I would imagine that many of the regulations of today would still be applicable in the near future if self driving cars become reality. true autonomy is still sci-fi.

Likely rules would be
1: you must be sober.
2; you must be able to take control in case of emergency
3: you must be capable of driving

WRChris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Indiana
I would imagine that many of the regulations of today would still be applicable in the near future if self driving cars become reality. true autonomy is still sci-fi.

Likely rules would be
1: you must be sober.
2; you must be able to take control in case of emergency
3: you must be capable of driving

Yeah I figured rules would be the same but you see what I'm trying to say right? And you are assuming you have enough time to enter manual mode and correct before impact.
The owner of the vehicle would still be liable for accidents even if it was fully autonomous, which to me is reason enough to not want this useless tech.

mi7chy

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2014
So the Apple Car could be a reality again... I'm still more excited by new Macs but this is interesting.

Not Apple Car but much more likely an extension of Car Play. As futile as it sounds compared to the competition it's better for Apple to try and fail than not try at all.

WRChris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Indiana
Although the likelihood of it is far, far less than being crippled or killed by a human driver, who are responsible for enough US deaths every year to fill a large arena.
There is not near enough data to say that it's more or less likely. That data won't exist until there are equal drivers vs autonomous vehicles.
Apples to apples comparison, is the only thing that would convince me.

A calculator is less likely to make a mistake than a human but a self driving car is a little different.

Last edited:

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
This is a screenshot of an actual interaction I had with Siri yesterday morning after I got out of the shower. I had American Idiot by Green Day stuck in my head while showering, so I used "Hey Siri" to turn up the volume and play it. Or at least I tried—it was like Siri was having a stroke! The best part was after the music started playing, "Hey Siri" couldn't even hear me so that I could tell it to turn up the volume more. There's no way in hell I'd go anywhere near an Apple self-driving car!

Attachments

• IMG_3118.PNG
    IMG_3118.PNG
    737.6 KB · Views: 4,849

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Yeah I figured rules would be the same but you see what I'm trying to say right? And you are assuming you have enough time to enter manual mode and correct before impact.
The owner of the vehicle would still be liable for accidents even if it was fully autonomous, which to me is reason enough to not want this useless tech.
its really cool tech. it's a step towardsd that mythical sci-fi future.

But I'm with you. I don't really want it until it's at that ready point where it can be trusted.

and I don't see purely autonomous driving being practical until it's all or nothing. Once you get a mix of fallible humans driving, with rigid computer systems, it's a recipe for disaster. People are unpredictable and do things computers often have a hard time account for. It would take some serious AI to be ble to do so in such a complete heuristic sense, that we are still a long way from.

Plus, I really like driving. my foot on the gas. Hand on the wheels. shifting. the roar of the engine at my command.... hmmm, need to go for a drive.... in my... camry.... DONT JUDGE!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.