Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

We're just a few months away from when Apple is expected to reveal the 2021 iPhone, dubbed the "iPhone 13." In preparation for its launch, it has been pulling in shipments of different components needed to produce the new iPhones, according to a report from DigiTimes.

iphone-13-teal-with-text.jpg

In years past, Apple released its latest iPhone lineup, alongside a new Apple Watch, during a September event at Apple Park. Due to the global health crisis last year, the company was forced to delay the launch of the iPhone 12 to October, one month off its typical release schedule. Despite the delay last year, Apple is expected to launch the new iPhones on time in September, according to well-respected Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

Apple operates under dozens of suppliers based in China, the United States, Vietnam, and India to produce its devices. Lockdowns crippled many of Apple's supplier's ability to produce and assemble devices. TSMC, one of Apple's largest suppliers, has reportedly already started producing the A15 chip for the 2021 iPhone.

The iPhone 12 featured several changes, such as an updated flat-edged design, the introduction of LiDAR for the high-end Pro models, and improved cameras. Above all, however, Apple's largest selling point for the 2020 iPhone was the inclusion of 5G technology. For the upcoming iPhones, Apple may instead focus on marketing other aspects of the device, including an all-new always-on display with 120Hz ProMotion technology, improved cameras, and more. Check out our roundup to learn more about everything we're expecting.

Article Link: Apple Begins Preparation for iPhone 13 Production Ahead of Fall Launch

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
I'm looking forward to the camera improvements. I'm also expecting the 12 to get 6GB of ram. There is no way they would put 4 GB 3 years in a row. I would also really like the White 13 to actually be white this time instead of that pale gold/champagne color.

77550071-c2e9-4b24-8630-4e331613dafe.jpeg

Last edited:

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Yay...Faster iPhone, better camera and possibly larger display... Cant wait :rolleyes:
Better cameras and Smaller notch.

I thought the same regarding the iPhone 11, before its launch. What a boring update.

But during the keynote, there were also a few surprise software features like Night Mode and Portrait Mode on front cameras that made me think in the end, it was a good update.

Although I never, and don't understand people who, upgrade every year. It's impossible to revolutionize something with 1 year of engineering.

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
Better cameras and Smaller notch.

I thought the same regarding the iPhone 11, before its launch. What a boring update.

But during the keynote, there were also a few surprise software features like Night Mode and Portrait Mode on front cameras that made me think in the end, it was a good update.

Although I never, and don't understand people who, upgrade every year. It's impossible to revolutionize something with 1 year of engineering.
The fact that you don't have to buy a ridiculously large and expensive phone to get the larger camera sensor could be worth the upgrade. As good as the standard cameras are on the 12 and 12 Pro are, they still look like camera phone photos on closer inspection. The 12 Pro Max however, is a significant improvement. The 13 version will be even better.

Paul6s

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2015
Because with the 11 Apple seemed to have changed their system. As it jumped straight to 12.
It will be the 12s. Apple now does a 3 year design cycle. Thus this year we will get the 12s following with the iPhone 13 with the major camera overhaul in 2022 then of course the iPhone 14 in 2023 with the major redesign. ( Fold maybe?)
Big, if true

/s
Yup it's not common for me to be excited over an "S" model but with the promotion display, smaller notch, and supposedly a new bronze gold it's hard not to be excited.

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2017
Oh please, that is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. It's a Phone. They didn't skip over iOS 13, and they certainly won't skip over iPhone 13.
Maybe it only affects 5% of the people. That's still billions of dollars lost because of the "13" name.

No normal person knows/cares if they're using iOS 13 or iOS 100000. But everyone will know that they're using an iPhone 13 or iPhone 12S.

apparatchik

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008
Isnt 13 a bad luck number in certain cultures? I know in the West we usually don't give two thoughts to this, but I've heard some Asian cultures avoid certain numbers with deed, including product naming. Maybe Apple will do an iPhone 12S to then jump to 14 in 2022?

jamcgahey

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2020
Maine
I really don't want to upgrade as much XS Max does everything I need it to do...but I am absolutely sick of having to charge my phone 3 times a day to get me through. I really wish I lived in a fantasy world where batteries were always reliable and never got worse with age/use.

Paul6s

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2015
My 11PM, as I've mentioned before, has ended up being my longest-serving iPhone ever, as I skipped the 12. Looking forward to the 12S upgrade!
I'm a sucker when it comes to iPhones so yes I do have the 12PM and do plan in getting the 12sPM. But that midnight green 11 Pro Max is still the best phone in my opinion. Let's just say I could not get rid of that phone lol!
Isnt 13 a bad luck number in certain cultures? I know in the West we usually don't give two thoughts to this, but I've heard some Asian cultures avoid certain numbers with deed, including product naming. Maybe Apple will do an iPhone 12S to then jump to 14 in 2022?
Lets not forget that we had an iOS 13 and they did not skip that but who knows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.