Apple Begins Selling LumaForge Shared Servers With Up to 200TB Storage and Prices Up to $50,000

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

LumaForge today announced that its Jellyfish shared storage solutions are now available for purchase from Apple's online business store, with ultra-high capacities up to 200TB at ultra-high prices of up to $50,000 in the United States.

Jellyfish servers enable video production teams working on Macs to collaborate throughout the content creation process. Designed by professional filmmakers, editors, and colorists, LumaForge says the Jellyfish is compatible with major pro video and audio apps like Final Cut Pro X, Premiere Pro, and DaVinci Resolve.

There are three shared storage solutions:Jellyfish Mobile - 32TB for $11,995.95 or 80TB for $19,995.95: Portable enclosure designed for small teams or teams without a server room infrastructure. Four 10-Gigabit Ethernet ports. Four 1-Gigabit Ethernet ports. 2,300 MBps available bandwidth. Enough to power 4K-8K workflows.
Jellyfish Tower - 120TB for $39,995.95: Designed for teams that have larger capacity needs. It's the size of a large PC tower. Eight 10-Gigabit Ethernet ports. Eight 1-Gigabit Ethernet ports. 4,400 MBps available bandwidth.
Jellyfish Rack - 200TB for $49,995.95: Identical in functionality to the Tower, but designed to easily fit into existing server racks.Macs can be connected directly to a Jellyfish server using standard 1- or 10-Gigabit Ethernet cables. Once connected, the Jellyfish Desktop App for macOS automatically completes the setup process. All three have RAID protection.

LumaForge said that more than 200 companies, including Activision, Adobe, BBC, CBS Interactive, Disney, Google, NASA, Pandora, Reuters, Sony, and WeWork, rely on Jellyfish servers for video storage and collaboration.

In related news, LumaForge announced that Steve Bayes has made a significant financial investment in LumaForge and will join its newly formed Board of Advisors. Bayes was the senior product manager of Final Cut Pro at Apple for more than 12 years before retiring from the company in July 2018.

Article Link: Apple Begins Selling LumaForge Shared Servers With Up to 200TB Storage and Prices Up to $50,000

wigby

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2007
Apple moving into the server market?! What have we come to ...
As someone else already pointed out...Xserve.

But also, Apple is going to be increasingly relying on revenue from services. Reselling expensive video servers is hardly a revenue win for Apple here but it's a small step in that direction. A few years from now, Apple could be competing directly with Amazon, Google and Microsoft over worldwide server marketshare.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
"32GB for $11,995.95"

:eek: That has to be incorrect.
That's about inline with what Apple charges.

These storage volumes sound kind of insane to me. Isn't a TB good for hundreds of hours of raw footage? What are you working on where you need immediate access to tens of thousands of hours of raw footage?

I'm under the impression that there's another, cheaper solution for archiving petabytes of stuff just for incase, where being able to have dozens of people access it is... not a requirement.

Edit: I am being told that a TB is not good for hundreds of hours of footage - people are telling me it's good for between half a minute and 90 minutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: pweicks

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
Home is everywhere and nowhere.
Why is this even news...:rolleyes:

Very...VERY few people here on MR are in the market for this if any at those prices.

And then those prices

$ XX,995.95

Bloody hell, I would never buy from a company which have similar pricing, if I need things like this I would say to the seller, make that $1000 less.

ronno

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2014
Yeah, I'll take the 32GB version for $12K. I'll need 6 of these just to backup what's on my iPhone though...that could add up to real money.

Reactions: dabotsonline

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
At $50k it's not a huge jump to get into a real SAN rather than whatever this little appliance is. This seems like a very niche product.

edit to add: and if you think about just the cost of raw storage in these they have a very significant margin for something that seems like a pretty basic NAS appliance with some 10GbE ports.