Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has added 2018 models of the 15-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar to its refurbished store in the U.S. for the first time. Prices are discounted by roughly 15 percent compared to the equivalent brand new models.

2018-macbook-pro-side-800x403.jpg

Quantities are limited, so we recommend acting fast or using Refurb Tracker to monitor when inventory is replenished.

Apple says refurbished MacBook Pro models are thoroughly inspected, tested, cleaned, and repackaged, with all manuals and cables included in the box. In our view, a refurbished MacBook Pro is virtually indistinguishable from a brand new model, so this represents a good opportunity for savings.

Note that third-party resellers sometimes offer better deals than Apple's refurbished prices, so be sure to monitor our deals roundup.

A refurbished MacBook Pro comes with Apple's standard one-year warranty effective on the date the notebook is delivered. The warranty can be extended to three years from the refurbished purchase date with AppleCare+ for Mac, which costs $379 for the the 15-inch MacBook Pro in the United States.

Apple has also added refurbished 2018 models of the 15-inch MacBook Pro to its Canadian store at a 15 percent discount.

Apple began selling refurbished 2018 13-inch MacBook Pro models earlier this week.

(Thanks, Kevin Z.!)

Article Link: Apple Begins Selling Refurbished 2018 15-Inch MacBook Pro Models in United States and Canada

Last edited:

bhenny1

Cancelled
Sep 12, 2015
Better off buying new from B&H or Adorama. Brand new, full warranty, less expensive on average than refurbs.

I’d agree, but I’m trying to use my Apple Barclay Card for 0% over 18 months. Trying to figure out if I should take this refurbished or brand new. I feel like there’s no difference. And all signs are pointing to no real pro update at the end of the month?

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
I’d agree, but I’m trying to use my Apple Barclay Card for 0% over 18 months. Trying to figure out if I should take this refurbished or brand new. I feel like there’s no difference. And all signs are pointing to no real pro update at the end of the month?

A pro update?? Seriously? Apple just did a pro update six months ago. The event at the end of October is about iPads and the new MacBook Air, not the MBP's.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Yes, I know. Many people seem to assume warranty is somehow reduced if it is not purchased from Apple.

Oh, you mean like a 3rd party seller, but new, right, gotcha! Yeah, one of our machines, an it-just-won't-die :D 2010 MBP was from B&H, even waited till just a couple of weeks before the one year basic warranty to grab AC (which if course is now way over ...)

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
Just to clarify, Apple refurbs also have the full warranty, including the option for Apple Care. :)

Agree 100%. All refurbs come with an Apple one year warranty, same warranty as any new Apple product. And refurbs have been looked over head to toe by an Apple technician here in the U.S. before they're resold. Any issues, updates, whatever, and they're fixed to like-new standards then packaged in a new box with all the stuff a new MacBook comes with. I've always purchased refurb Apple products and never had one single issue. They are a much better deal than buying new, IMO.

abbstrack

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2008
SoCal
i bought a 2017 top of the line MBP 15" Refurb and have no regrets (other than not wait for the 2018 models). came practically brand new with no discernible difference from if I had purchased it new.

Reactions: lionkin

sharpimage

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2018
The article says the ”The warranty can be extended to three years from the original purchase date with AppleCare+ for Mac

Does that really mean the original purchase date or the date the refurb was purchased?

If it means the Original purchase date, how do you know what that is before you purchase the refurb as you may be losing 4 or 5 months off the extended warranty period.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
The article says the ”The warranty can be extended to three years from the original purchase date with AppleCare+ for Mac

Does that really mean the original purchase date or the date the refurb was purchased?

If it means the Original purchase date, how do you know what that is before you purchase the refurb as you may be losing 4 or 5 months off the extended warranty period.

No (re: the bold), it's the "new" purchase date of the refurb.

https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/refurbfaq_popup

Apple Certified Refurbished Products
Frequently Asked Questions:

(1) What are Apple Certified Refurbished Products?
Apple Certified Refurbished Products are pre-owned Apple products that undergo Apple's stringent refurbishment process prior to being offered for sale. While only some units are returned due to technical issues, every unit is evaluated to ensure it meets Apple's quality standards.

Each Apple Certified Refurbished Product:

• undergoes full functionality testing and any defective modules identified in testing are replaced.
  • Apple Watch and Apple Pencil devices that require replacement parts are not included in the Apple Certified Refurbished Program.
  • is put through a thorough cleaning process and inspection.
  • is repackaged (including appropriate manuals, cables, new boxes).
  • includes either the Operating System originally shipped with the unit or, in some cases, a more recent version.
  • is placed into a Final QA inspection prior to being added to sellable refurbished stock.

Refurbishment procedures follow the same basic technical guidelines as Apple's Finished Goods testing procedures.

(2) What should I expect when I purchase an Apple Certified Refurbished Product?
  • Substantial savings
  • A fully functional unit with complete documentation
  • The assurance that the unit meets Apple's premiere quality standards, and that its defective components have been replaced by genuine Apple components

(3) Can I purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan for my Apple Certified Refurbished Product?
All Apple Certified Refurbished Products are covered by a one-year limited warranty. For extended coverage, you have the option of purchasing the AppleCare Protection Plan with your Apple Certified Refurbished Product. The AppleCare Protection Plan extends the complimentary coverage on your Apple Certified Refurbished Product to up to three years of world-class support for Mac, and up to two years of world-class support for iPad, iPod, iPhone, Apple Watch, and Apple TV.

(4) A refurbished item that I wanted is no longer available. How can I ensure that I get an item when it's in stock?
Refurbished supply is usually very limited and we often run out of refurbished inventory. We recommend that you act quickly if you see an item that you like. A product will be reserved for you once you've completed checking out and we've received full authorized payment. Please note that some payment methods take longer than others and that availability of a refurbished product is not guaranteed until we receive your full payment.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
I just use the student discount, I don't feel bad doing that to save $100-200 when I buy a $3k+ machine once every decade.

Hey, Apple's the one who doesn't enforce it and openly allows anyone to purchase from the education website with no credential verification, so whatever.

/Flamesuit on

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Oh, you mean like a 3rd party seller, but new, right, gotcha! Yeah, one of our machines, an it-just-won't-die :D 2010 MBP was from B&H, even waited till just a couple of weeks before the one year basic warranty to grab AC (which if course is now way over ...)
AppleCare Plus now needs to be bught within 60 days.

Reactions: Rhartford

ibivibiv

macrumors regular
May 5, 2015
Sadly I would't even buy this line of the MacBook Pro at the discounts from the refurbish store. Between the keyboard malfunctions and the lack of connectivity on the one I was given for work..... I just can't see paying premium dollar for a machine that just isn't a premium. I never use the stupid Touch Bar so whatever that is costing in the build process is wasted money. Apple, for real. Please make a truly "Pro" laptop that is well made and reliable again and I'll replace my personal one from 2012. Until then I just can't see spending the money on any version of this new model.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
AppleCare Plus now needs to be bught within 60 days.

Oh yeah, I know the AC+ rules are different from when I was buying "regular" AC - I was just clarifying that a (authorized) 3rd party seller like B&H doesn't introduce anything different in terms of warranty, time for AC purchase (or AC+, whatever the Apple direct rule might be).

That being said, it never hurts to mention it again :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.