Apple Begins Selling Refurbished 2018 15-Inch MacBook Pro Models in United States and Canada

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 20, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has added 2018 models of the 15-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar to its refurbished store in the U.S. for the first time. Prices are discounted by roughly 15 percent compared to the equivalent brand new models.

[​IMG]

Quantities are limited, so we recommend acting fast or using Refurb Tracker to monitor when inventory is replenished.

Apple says refurbished MacBook Pro models are thoroughly inspected, tested, cleaned, and repackaged, with all manuals and cables included in the box. In our view, a refurbished MacBook Pro is virtually indistinguishable from a brand new model, so this represents a good opportunity for savings.

Note that third-party resellers sometimes offer better deals than Apple's refurbished prices, so be sure to monitor our deals roundup.

A refurbished MacBook Pro comes with Apple's standard one-year warranty effective on the date the notebook is delivered. The warranty can be extended to three years from the refurbished purchase date with AppleCare+ for Mac, which costs $379 for the the 15-inch MacBook Pro in the United States.

Apple has also added refurbished 2018 models of the 15-inch MacBook Pro to its Canadian store at a 15 percent discount.

Apple began selling refurbished 2018 13-inch MacBook Pro models earlier this week.

(Thanks, Kevin Z.!)

Article Link: Apple Begins Selling Refurbished 2018 15-Inch MacBook Pro Models in United States and Canada

2. Naimfan Suspended

Naimfan

Better off buying new from B&H or Adorama. Brand new, full warranty, less expensive on average than refurbs.

3. bhenny1 macrumors regular

bhenny1

I’d agree, but I’m trying to use my Apple Barclay Card for 0% over 18 months. Trying to figure out if I should take this refurbished or brand new. I feel like there’s no difference. And all signs are pointing to no real pro update at the end of the month?

4. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Not to mention the stock models are a little light on specs. Even B&H has CTO.

5. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

Just to clarify, Apple refurbs also have the full warranty, including the option for Apple Care. :)

6. Naimfan Suspended

Naimfan

Yes, I know. Many people seem to assume warranty is somehow reduced if it is not purchased from Apple.

7. ZipZap macrumors 603

Be sure to check and see if BH is collecting sales tax. They are starting to collect. At least for MD they are.

8. lambertjohn macrumors 6502a

A pro update?? Seriously? Apple just did a pro update six months ago. The event at the end of October is about iPads and the new MacBook Air, not the MBP's.

9. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

Oh, you mean like a 3rd party seller, but new, right, gotcha! Yeah, one of our machines, an it-just-won't-die :D 2010 MBP was from B&H, even waited till just a couple of weeks before the one year basic warranty to grab AC (which if course is now way over ...)

10. lambertjohn macrumors 6502a

Agree 100%. All refurbs come with an Apple one year warranty, same warranty as any new Apple product. And refurbs have been looked over head to toe by an Apple technician here in the U.S. before they're resold. Any issues, updates, whatever, and they're fixed to like-new standards then packaged in a new box with all the stuff a new MacBook comes with. I've always purchased refurb Apple products and never had one single issue. They are a much better deal than buying new, IMO.

11. abbstrack macrumors regular

i bought a 2017 top of the line MBP 15" Refurb and have no regrets (other than not wait for the 2018 models). came practically brand new with no discernible difference from if I had purchased it new.

12. bhenny1 macrumors regular

bhenny1

Lol no need to freak out. I don’t follow Mac news as much. I was basically stating the same thing.

13. notabadname macrumors 65816

notabadname

Nice. Higher specs will appear eventually. I’ve bought more than half of all my Macs as refurb. Always looked absolutely new, not a mark. And fully warranted, why not.

14. sharpimage macrumors newbie

sharpimage

The article says the ”The warranty can be extended to three years from the original purchase date with AppleCare+ for Mac

Does that really mean the original purchase date or the date the refurb was purchased?

If it means the Original purchase date, how do you know what that is before you purchase the refurb as you may be losing 4 or 5 months off the extended warranty period.

15. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

No (re: the bold), it's the "new" purchase date of the refurb.

https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/refurbfaq_popup

16. puma1552 macrumors 603

I just use the student discount, I don't feel bad doing that to save $100-200 when I buy a $3k+ machine once every decade.

Hey, Apple's the one who doesn't enforce it and openly allows anyone to purchase from the education website with no credential verification, so whatever.

/Flamesuit on

17. SVTmaniac macrumors 6502

I’ll take a Refurb over new any day. Refurbs have been gone through and checked to ensure everything is 100% correct. A brand new machine rolls off the line and out the door after a few tests.

18. otternonsense, Oct 20, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2018

otternonsense macrumors 6502a

otternonsense

Still a terrible value for money IMHO. I’m really curious what will Apple come up with after the abysmal touchbar MBP generation.

19. max.ine macrumors regular

max.ine

Still $3000 after tax here in Canada. With that plus all the bad stuff I’ve heard about this year’s model from its current owners, I’m a bit hesitant...

20. Moi Ici macrumors regular

and Washington state

21. BWhaler macrumors 68030

BWhaler

Junk keyboard? Tiouch bar?

I’ll pass at any price, and I need a new laptop.

22. jlc1978 macrumors 68020

jlc1978

AppleCare Plus now needs to be bught within 60 days.

23. ibivibiv macrumors regular

Sadly I would't even buy this line of the MacBook Pro at the discounts from the refurbish store. Between the keyboard malfunctions and the lack of connectivity on the one I was given for work..... I just can't see paying premium dollar for a machine that just isn't a premium. I never use the stupid Touch Bar so whatever that is costing in the build process is wasted money. Apple, for real. Please make a truly "Pro" laptop that is well made and reliable again and I'll replace my personal one from 2012. Until then I just can't see spending the money on any version of this new model.

24. jterp7 macrumors 6502a

What? Nooooo

Still regret missing that $1300 deal couple weeks ago now

25. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

Oh yeah, I know the AC+ rules are different from when I was buying "regular" AC - I was just clarifying that a (authorized) 3rd party seller like B&H doesn't introduce anything different in terms of warranty, time for AC purchase (or AC+, whatever the Apple direct rule might be).

That being said, it never hurts to mention it again :)