Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daniel L

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009
The Airport Extreme (3rd Gen) was the first router I've purchased that was 100% reliable. I think routers have come a long way though. The built in router of my fiberoptic modem has been completely rock solid as well so the 6th gen Airport Extreme is just collecting dust.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
I’m glad I snagged an extreme from Best Buy last weekend. Didn’t want to replace all my network equipment just yet.

iriejedi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2000
Nor Cal
Replaced with new Lynksys Velop Tri Band System - Love my apple products - but have to be honest - the Velop System is pretty sweet for a 2 story home with the Internet in a top corner room....and a man cave i a concerted garage - oppisite corner.. Still have some dedicated devices linked to old Apple System... for now... maybe the AirPort Team can work on that new Modular Mac Pro. LOL

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015
Apple's last good product. LOL at this company, what a sad ending to what was once a truly forward thinking tech company.

Reactions: rafark

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Just got back from the docks, picked up a whole pallet of these, that umm, fell off a truck ... if you're interested, ask for Vinnie.

Macwick

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008
I'd not want to replace my $2000 high end speakers in case my Airport Express fails.

What kind of Airplay adapter are you referring to, can you suggest any specific hardware (preferably in the price range of the Airport Express)?

There is no alternative, that's the problem.

Unless - and I hate to waste money doing this - why not just hook up an ATV audio out? Any reason that wouldn't work?

SIGH they only have HDMI out. I guess add one of these suckers to the mix: https://www.amazon.com/RCA-GANA-Composite-Converter-Adapter-Supporting/dp/B01KXI8LZE

alexandero

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2004
There is no alternative, that's the problem.

Unless - and I hate to waste money doing this - why not just hook up an ATV audio out? Any reason that wouldn't work?
I have no first hand experience with AppleTV, but afaik it needs to be connected to a TV/display. I don't own a TV, and the only displays I own are my Apple laptops. But maybe there is a hidden way to use a ATV as Airport Express replacement, even without any display?

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
Enjoyed my ebay purchased previous extreme
Even got it sold with late2013 MacBook Pro.
Honestly, what a solid router the extreme was-amazing.
Only gripe was one USB port.
Managed to try old printer and usb external drive via usb hub-only part worked though was fun watching remote printing from a non wireless Epsom printer-happy tech memories indeed.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Apple only sold 600,000 HomePods in the last quarter according to that latest report. I'm curious how many AirPorts they usually sell, and how many they would have sold if they had kept updating them.

The best comparison I've read about this was Gruber talking in his podcast about how Apple used to make laser writer printers back in the day because all the other printers sucked. Apple did the same with WiFi. Now there are lots of good options out there with beautiful aesthetic and advanced, easy to setup mesh networks, so Apple feels like their work here is done just like when they got out of the printer business. Though as a child of the 90s I can assure you that those printers were not always very easy to use and had lots of problems. Printers haven't really advanced much in the past 20 years if you think about it. So maybe that's not the best comparison after all, lol.

exi

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
Apple's last good product. LOL at this company, what a sad ending to what was once a truly forward thinking tech company.

Wish we had a downvote option on MR.

Curious as to others' thoughts: two-story house, about a dozen connected devices. Using a latest-gen AirPort TC. Virtually no functional issues anywhere in the house but would optimize throughput at the more distant devices if I went with one of the in vogue mesh setups.

If it were you, would you (a) "upgrade" to Orbi/Eero/Velop, or (b) purchase another AirPort TC and stay the course? Best I can tell, it would be moving up to higher consistent throughput on a more supported device but at the expense of integrated Time Machine natively (tried the Synology 2600AC, didn't much care for it), assuming fairly bulletproof functionality from the mesh setup as my TC has been overall.

ksnell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2012
Looked a bit at this, but it seems (a) to have some complexity and (B) required a decent investment for router, switch (with power for wifi points), one or more wifi points, and possibly a "controller" - added up to $400+ just for two wifipoints.

I would agree it is not cheap but it is a definite upgrade from anything Apple offers (offered). As long as you have general networking/computer knowledge and take the time to set it up, it is great. I coughed up the dough for their 24 port PoE switch and took the time to hard wire 2 access points in my house and run the software on my home server so I don't need a Cloud Key Controller. Any computer on the home network (preferably always on) would work too.

I often forget about the tech because I never have to touch it or reset anything unless I feel like playing around with features. Has a good iOS app too.

Macwick

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008
Wish we had a downvote option on MR.

Curious as to others' thoughts: two-story house, about a dozen connected devices. Using a latest-gen AirPort TC. Virtually no functional issues anywhere in the house but would optimize throughput at the more distant devices if I went with one of the in vogue mesh setups.

I moved from Airport Extreme to Google Wifi a year or so ago. Initially it was flaky but for the last 6 months or so it has been rock solid. I have 4 APs covering our three story house + backyard.

attiland

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2011
UK
Have you given Ubiquiti a try? Their Unifi system is incredible and has been extremely stable for me. They also have a more consumer friendly system called Amplifi which I have not tried.
Ruckus’s app are the best. In small and large implementation beat all above.

I really wanted these to be updated though due to its time machine support and good price point.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Bought a 2TB Time Capsule the day the discontinuation was announced. Previously I was using an older 802.11n Time Capsule, which is now in the basement and connected to the new one through Ethernet. I have excellent coverage on my whole property now. Too bad Apple neglected and is now getting rid of a good product line.

thewap

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2012
I have been stuck overseas for a while in a house built in the 18th century, with walls of stone two feet thick, wifi has been a problem to say the least with the standard modem provided by the service company. Literally I have had to be near the same room that the modem was in to get wifi, which was upstairs in the office room. Upstairs other rooms wifi was compromised, as well as downstairs - very sketchy with wifi signal at 10% only on good days.

I have had airports since the original saucer, and my house in the states still using the Airport Extreme - no problems. But I decided to try Ubiquiti Amplifi HD in the house overseas, as the founder of that company used to be on the original airport development team at Apple, so I gave the Ampli with two mesh points a shot.

Set up was super easy as in automated easy with the iphone app, I found the app with it's features better than airport - (and I love airport). Now the ancient 3000sq' house has wifi with no dead spots, and the mesh points signal 86% wifi strength which I consider amazing considering how the old house is and how it was built.

The online chat and linked mail assistance by Amplifi was instantaneous, and very helpful, I daresay that company support is second to none. So I feel pretty good about the Amplifi HD unit and its mesh points, but not happy at all with the direction Apple is going with their *ecosystem*.

I keep thinking to myself, "why didn't Apple build something like the Amplifi to stay competitive?" .
I guess an ex Apple airport team developer had to do it, but Tim can't..

Last edited:

Mizouse

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2014
Ugh was hoping they'd eventually update the airport express to AC.

I Picked up a 2TB time capsule a year ago and like it a lot. Useful as a 2nd time machine backup location.

Just wanted an airport express since the wifi in my room is slow and wanted one as an extender.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
I have no first hand experience with AppleTV, but afaik it needs to be connected to a TV/display. I don't own a TV, and the only displays I own are my Apple laptops. But maybe there is a hidden way to use a ATV as Airport Express replacement, even without any display?

It should still work. You'll need to connect to a display to setup the ATV, but after setup is done you should be able to just use the HDMI/optical converter and AirPlay to the ATV.

palebluedot

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
The worst part of all this is that a lot of people who dont know better are goign to go to mesh or other routers that are "Cloud" connected aka leak data to servers for minimal user utility.

I'm probably going to pick up an AC Time Capsule to keep me going until someone better comes alone or Ubiqiti proves their mettle for the long haul (and privacy consciousnesses). I cant believe how many people willingly give Google network level access to all of their traffic. RIP "dumb" but usable technology.

Reactions: ignatius345

alexandero

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2004
It should still work. You'll need to connect to a display to setup the ATV, but after setup is done you should be able to just use the HDMI/optical converter and AirPlay to the ATV.
Thanks. So the only possible replacement at the moment is a ATV with a good digital-analog converter connected to the HDMI-port. If only I wouldn't have to ask my neighbours to borrow their tv whenever the ATV needs to be setup (I assume that will be necessary on e.g. each OS update).

Edit: as Apple allows third party manufacturers to build Airplay compatible hardware, I wonder why no one yet released a simple Airplay adapter in the $100 price range – it seems the only Airplay compatible items are all-in-one speaker systems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.