Apple Being Sued for 'Purposefully Slowing Down Older iPhone Models' [Updated]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 21, 2017.

1. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

Along with Youtube.

When there’s an internet point to be lost casting doubt on a linked source iscthe only way to go. It’s a semi-successful strategy that does backfire. If one thing can be manipulated they all can.

Okay, where’s your proof of causation?

2. alien3dx macrumors 6502a

alien3dx

Using 5 s now instead of new phone

3. Radon87000 macrumors 604

But since they haven’t closed down and we have Apple executives tweeting them there must be validity to them.

Why are you ignoring what I am saying? If the video was manipulated what happened with that phone in the video shouldn’t have happened on my phone. But it did happen. So what does this mean?

The very nature of a bribe is no proof. But that doesn’t mean bribes don’t happen.

4. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

Geekbench or other benchmark sites are still cited, so there must be validity to them also.

You can have two identical cars with one being a lemon...

That’s not the nature of proofs.

5. Jmausmuc macrumors 6502a

Jmausmuc

I’m impressed at how they handled this PR desaster

6. jlc1978 macrumors 68020

jlc1978

Apple isn't ruining perfectly good devices; as you point out if you do not upgrade you retain the functionality that made it a perfectly good device. I have a number of older devices that are frozen in time simply because they work just fine for what I need and so there is no need to upgrade and run into problems.

7. antonis macrumors 68020

antonis

This is not a good advice and definitely not an option. Updates improve your device's security by fixing vulnerabilities, besides fixing any bugs and/or bring unwanted "features". You cannot ignore them even if your device seems to work great. The responsibility is entirely at apple's side regarding of what they do with these updates.

8. jlc1978 macrumors 68020

jlc1978

While I agree updating for security and bug fixes is a good idea, my point was that is unreasonable to expect and older device to perform at the same level it did with its original OS when a much later version is installed. The new OS version in no way impacts the functionality of the version shipped with the device, which is what you paid for. Greater power requirements, memory usage, etc. all can impact performance on older devices and Apple, nor any manufacture for that matter, can't be expected to optimize later versions for older hardware.

9. kaielement macrumors 65816

It's funny when your almost 2 year iphone 7 runs just fine no lag or stutter. Just because you might have an issue does it mean everyone else does .People need to stop over charging their devices. My battery is still at a 92% capacity after 2 years . But then again I don't leave my phone on the charger 24/7.

10. NewdestinyX macrumors 65816

You don’t have to be overly anal about the 8 hours a night you leave it on charger. Apple intelligently disallows “over”-charging. My 7+ battery is also at 89% capacity after 2 years of moderate to heavy use.. and on charger 8 hours every night.

And battery degradation could never make a Mario game running on your phone - stutter it. That’s not the issue.

11. kaielement macrumors 65816

And I bet your battery would be in the 90's if you didn't charge it over night every night just saying.

12. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Or it might not, or might be at something like 91%, which won't really make much of a noticeable difference.