Apple Being Sued for 'Purposefully Slowing Down Older iPhone Models' [Updated]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 21, 2017.

1. kdarling, Dec 31, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2017

kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Not yet, AFAIK. But hopefully some resourceful tech site will examine cycle counts of their test units, and of reader phones, to see if there's a correlation.

Does anyone know where to get the Coconut battery app, btw? For some reason it didn't show up my app store search. Is it there? Or does it only run on a Mac or ??

2. Martyimac macrumors 65816

Martyimac

Runs on MacOS not iOS

3. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

4. otternonsense macrumors 6502a

otternonsense

Commercial success is unaffected by Apple's constant slipping in the product excellence department. They used to deliver better products when they weren't a money making behemoth, is all I'm saying. Maybe they need to get hungry again.

5. PavelT, Jan 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2018

PavelT macrumors regular

i feel like a lot people are missing the main problem with this whole thing. Apple says it does this "power management" aka phone killer to prevent automatic shutdowns on older phones. (of which doesn't even work, because my SE shuts down like once a day automatically because of ios 11 when its not going amazingly slow, it even charges slower with ios11) your phone doesnt suffer like that from a Monday to a Tuesday....but the principal here is Apple should not even make an ios that hurts older phones period.(they still sell SE and above on website) and most people have a phone thats 1 year old. (mine is about a year, ive had 1 replacement, mint) Apple should test the ios on all phones and batteries that are still being sold. Then make the fixes and release. this is so ethically unacceptable no matter how you word it. and the fact that they changed the battery cost to $29 is offensive to boot. for starters that should be free, so thats a second slap in the face. they admit it and still want you to pay for it.

6. tonynovak macrumors newbie

tonynovak

--- Post Merged, Jan 1, 2018 ---
    Does anyone know if the intentional slowing applies to older iPads? It seems like mine is running slower now than a few years ago.

7. jay47 macrumors member

I also think theres more going on than they admit . My 1.5 yr old SE running 9.3.5 still has 96% health after 107 cycles . Run the battery all the way down to 6% & have yet to ever have a shutdown or lag at all .

My MacBook Air used to get 12-13 hrs battery life on mountain lion & after upgrading to Sierra it dropped to 6 hrs . Restore back to mountain lion & I get 12 hrs again .

In the next few months I'm betting there will be independent tests done showing whats really happening , I'm not buying into the battery degradation claims by apple & I'm pretty sure someone is gonna prove planned obsolescence is not a theory but fact ...

8. PavelT macrumors regular

im pretty sure all ios items are affected. i would not update to ios 11.

9. macguy86 macrumors newbie

A 3-Year old battery that has been discharged and charged everyday, sometimes multiple times, is defective and not degraded? Hmm I am unaware of this magical battery that you know of that would take that abuse and last forever. Please share it with the world so we can overcome your "different issues" confusion.

10. lwells1441 macrumors member

lwells1441

You can make lithium ion batteries last decades. It's all about cell design, BMS, and thermal control.

It's also feasible for these adjustments to be applied to mobile electronics, however the cell design constraints have such a heavy emphasis on volumetric energy that they sacrifice cell calendar life.

11. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

No, only iPhones. They’ve said as much.

12. mi7chy macrumors 601

mi7chy

I wouldn't doubt it considering mine have gotten slower and more unstable with every update.

13. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

How much have they throttled the processor? Because that’s what this is about. :|

14. PavelT macrumors regular

Again, i wouldn't update to ios11 at all. they've said as much and said not as much.

15. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

You can believe whatever you want, but Apple has come out and stated they throttle phones and just phones. They even said which models and that they’re pushing them out to more phones in the future. Please don’t spread FUD.

16. PavelT, Jan 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018

PavelT macrumors regular

update to ios11 at your own risk. i know i wouldn't update until this gets sorted out. and i think majority of people would agree.. Again i say keyword "I".

17. advocate4fam macrumors newbie

advocate4fam

I have been on the phone on and off with Apple over this very issue. They claim that no one else is having this problem. Yeah, right. I told them I am not that stupid and that I have over 6888 contacts in my address book, with probably more than half of them having iphones and they all say the same thing. This is clealy being done to make us buy a new iPhone. I refuse and if worse case scenario means i have to live with it like this or change to a Samsung etc., the Apple is the one who will loose. To be honest, it feels like ever since Steve Jobs passed on, things with Apple have been going down hill very quickly. So sad!!!

18. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

I betcha anyone getting a $29 battery update has to agree to not sue.

Back after Antennagate, Apple settled with a class action over it. Each user who had NOT accepted one of those free bumpers from Apple, could get $15... plus then they could still get the free bumper or case.

19. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

I have read your posts throughout this thread, and you truthfully don't know what obsolete means. You continually keep using out of context and conflate it with obsolescence. Others have insinuated this to you, but I am directly pointing out in fact your posts are poorly portraying this in the same aspect as the throttling, which is not accurate.

20. forerunnerg34 macrumors regular

forerunnerg34

I’m not saying they are lying, but Apple my not be telling you the complete truth unless they are discovered as it happened.

21. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Nor is it difficult to delete the update either. And for the record, the update reminds you infrequently, "Nags" wouldn't be appropriate used in your context.

22. Puddled macrumors 6502a

Puddled

From the dictionary:

I also used a condition (with respect to the user) or in other words, "If you need a phone to run as it was designed, or have purchased a new phone because your old (Throttled) phone was no longer usable for you"

My understanding of the situation is fine.

23. kdarling, Jan 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018

kdarling

Nope. Unlike iPhones, iPads have room for batteries capable of supplying sufficient power for many years. Heck, I use iPads dating back over a half decade and they still keep a good charge.

Sufficient battery is what this boils down to.

That’s usually due to iOS updates, which many of us have learned should often be avoided on older devices, as they don’t add new features as much as adding bloat .

Such updates to older iPad minis, are why I finally upgraded to a newer iPad mini.

24. NewdestinyX macrumors 65816

Yep. I accidentally updated to iOS 9 on an iPad 2 - which rendered it pretty much useless.

25. kdarling, Jan 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018

kdarling

Yeah, a lot of us first went to 7 or 8 and they were so awful that we jumped on 9 hoping it would fix things. Ha. Nope.

This is why I cringe whenever some well meaning but ignorant fanboy yaps about Apple’s “longer support” and “more iOS updates”. A numerically higher version, yes. Some security fixes, okay. More features and better optimization? No, not for older devices.

The oldest iPad I have still runs fine because we never updated it.