Apple Black Friday Discounts Leaked?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Boy Genius Report notes that it has received an image that will reportedly soon be sent via e-mail alerting customers to upcoming Black Friday discounts on Apple merchandise. Black Friday, which is always the day after Thanksgiving in the United States and traditionally marks the start of the holiday shopping season with many retailers offering deep discounts, falls on November 27th this year.This time around, it looks as if Apple will be offering up to 30% off on all iPods (Update: excluding iPhone and iPod shuffle, sorry), up to 25% off Macs, and up to 15% off all accessories as well as Apple software and hardware. The deal is only good for the day of November 27th and if that's not good enough, "select" Apple stores will open at 6AM. This is unconfirmed but it doesn't seem too unrealistic.Unfortunately, we disagree with Boy Genius Report's assessment that this represents a "realistic" set of Black Friday offerings for Apple. While Apple does participate in Black Friday sales, its discounts have traditionally been much more modest than those suggested in the leaked image, generally only in the neighborhood of 10% and only on select items. Consequently, we are posting this report on Page 2 merely for interest and discussion.

Article Link: Apple Black Friday Discounts Leaked?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Up to 25% off of Mac computer hardware sounds great, if true. I have a feeling the MacBook and iMac are going to see the bigger discounts though.

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
That design isn't too Apple like. Seems pretty amateurish.

Someone on BGR posted that the background image was the same/similar to a generic wallpaper design.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Unfortunately, we disagree with Boy Genius Report's assessment that this represents a "realistic" set of Black Friday offerings for Apple. While Apple does participate in Black Friday sales, its discounts have traditionally been much more modest than those suggested in the leaked image, generally only in the neighborhood of 10% and only on select items.
Apple is a trendsetter, so why couldn't they break with tradition and offer steep discounts for a change?

Yeah, I know: They like to boost business but they also like their margins.

jacinto45

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
The art design is so inconsistent with Apple it's ridiculous. The bullets and the font at the top are not at all Apple style, the non-bold font at the bottom is even more different from Apple style, Apple never says anything like "NEW" in caps before a new announcement, and Apple absolutely would never use an exclamation point in an ad like this.

Of course, the discounts themselves are so unrealistic that this is all a moot point.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Meh. There’s no way they’re offering “up to 25” percent off Macs. It’ll be $101 off popular MacBook and iMac configurations like always.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Its funny. I just sold my 3 year old 2GHz C2D MacBook that I bought on the 2006 Black Friday sale and it is a little sad to see that processor tech in a MacBook has barely budged. I suppose the 9400m is better an advance over the GMA950 but still, its been a quiet 3 years.

kindablue09

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2009
Adding to the poster trashing :D

I don't think apple would gift wrap. They get so much advertising from their product boxing, I don't see why they'd want to cover that up.

Also, gift wrapping would take up valuable manpower and space, which Apple can't spare during the holiday season (very crowded stores).

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
Adding to the poster trashing :D

I don't think apple would gift wrap. They get so much advertising from their product boxing, I don't see why they'd want to cover that up.

Also, gift wrapping would take up valuable manpower and space, which Apple can't spare during the holiday season (very crowded stores).
Hence:

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I went 5 months without a personal Mac before I bought my Macbook in November of 2007. Now I can't find a reason to replace it.

Core 2 is still just a Core 2.

Dr.Pants

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
25% off the entire Mac line really tickles my fingers. Might be able to give my parents a MacIntosh. Hopefully they won't run out of Minis and/or the whole load of people hitting refresh on the Apple Online Store won't crash it :p

However, Eidorian brings up a good point, Core2 is still Core2. I'm guessing this is mainly to expand Apple's Mac users to people who normally wouldn't buy one of those machines.

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2007
Core 2 Duo is still Core 2 Duo, but 9400m is leaps and bounds better than GMA950 or X3100. I can't say I believe this flyer, but I wouldn't turn my nose up at a $750 MacBook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.