Apple Blogger John Gruber Hints at NFC For iPhone 6 [Update: iWatch Too]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I need to "+1" this one. It sounds like this is going to be a non-standard version of PayWave, and I'm struggling to see the benefit.

2. RiddlaBronc macrumors 6502a

RiddlaBronc

3. chocolaterabbit macrumors regular

What was the story with Gruber switching networks and why was it taking a dump on his listeners? Personally I had 0 problems with it, nothing appeared to change on my end.

4. fjfjfjfj, Aug 28, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2014

fjfjfjfj macrumors 6502

5. kdarling macrumors P6

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    The reason why many retailers ignored it so far, is because they could.

The difference now is that credit card companies have set deadlines for Fall of next year, for US merchants to support EMV cards. Most of the EMV terminals will include NFC support.

If Apple never existed, NFC payments would be coming anyway.

Merchants have little choice. Therefore Apple has little choice as well.

6. mwiz123 macrumors newbie

Never used NFC with my S3 because there was never enough places to use it... now its everywhere :D Might Finally use it!

7. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Without going into it too much/to put it simply, he tried to pretend Dan Benjamin did not exist when he made the transition.

8. JPSaltzman macrumors regular

JPSaltzman

Like I am going to trust Apple with my credit cards. They can't even keep the iTunes Store secure.

9. engg2000 macrumors regular

In Canada, tap-to-pay has become standard.

Huge drawback to credit card companies because if someone's credit card gets duplicated, the CC company has to cover the $ that was charged.

Adding fingerprint scan from your iPhone and tapping to pay is secure, fast and convenient. Less cards to carry around.

It's a huge benefit to both the credit card companies and the consumer.

----------

It will be locally stored and you can select which card to use.

10. danielsutton macrumors 6502

If you have a MasterCard PayPass, Visa PayWave, or other contact-less payments-enabled card, then yes, your card supports NFC-like payments

11. proline macrumors 6502a

Your opening line is very misleading because it omits key info. While tap to may machines are becoming prevalent (certainly not standard) in Canada, merchants either have to cover the cost of quick and easy fraud or else make the customer sign for every purchase. As they get burned one by one, they are increasingly moving back to making customers sign. So they are actually slower and worse than chip cards- the workflow is similar to the old swipe cards still used in the U.S.

I agree with the rest of your post. As I said, Apple's implementation will provide real benefits, not the nonsense NFC offers today.

12. coolspot18, Aug 28, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2014

coolspot18 macrumors 65816

It's already being done ... in Canada and probably other countries. Only "obstacle" is that you need to switch to a payment compatible SIM card (free I think, but a hassle nevertheless).

Probably because MasterCard and Visa is rolling out such technologies in countries like Canada. Android devices already support such technology, so if Apple is not onboard ASAP, the market will pass them by.

Yes, but even better - you won't need to carry your credit/debit cards anymore, just your phone!

It's funny how many Americans were so excited about the "Coin" wallet ... sad to see so many on Kickstarter contributed money to such a device when it was outdated the day it was announced.

13. Iconoclysm macrumors 68020

Iconoclysm

Long overdue to actually be a relevent feature - hopefully this would help it take off.

14. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

NFC will be nice on the iPhone for payments but, that's not why Apple is putting NFC in the iPhone 6. The reason why Apple is putting NFC in the iPhone 6 and most likely all their other devices, is as an interface for the iWatch.

NFC has many more uses besides purchases.

15. Iconoclysm macrumors 68020

Iconoclysm

There it is, the "revolutionary" straw man. This NEVER happens.

----------

That will be BLE not NFC. There is no reason to choose NFC as the data transfer method when only the new phone could use it.

16. kdarling macrumors P6

kdarling

Not quite, but they're very closely related.

Early RIFD contactless cards

The early versions of RFID contactless cards, like PayPass/PayWave, were semi-dumb and not very secure. They basically replied with whatever is on their magstripe, and thus could be read remotely, and a magstripe version cloned. That is what gave rise to all those aluminum wallets. They did also reply with a non-repeating number, so you could not replay a purchase over the air.

EMV contactless cards

If your card is an EMV contact/contactless card, then it cannot be cloned, which is why credit card fraud has dropped up to 90% or more wherever it's been adopted. And there's no need for metal wallets :)

EMV contactless comms build on top of RFID standards.

NFC mobile payments

Going one step further, NFC builds on top of both RFID and EMV contactless communication standards, and is compatible with them.

Thus an NFC equipped phone can act like an EMV card on steroids. Unlike the EMV card, a phone also has direct connectivity over the internet, allowing payment apps to also present coupons, decide on payment methods, use local hardware to authenticate you, and so forth.

Other NFC abilities

Besides being able to emulate contactless cards, NFC devices can also read RFID tags, which many people use to trigger actions on their phone.

Devices can also follow NFC standards to communicate with each other as peers. This is the famous "bump" data transfer or automatic WiFi/speaker setup you hear about.

17. Iconoclysm macrumors 68020

Iconoclysm

That would be a horrible idea, the watch needs to talk to iPads, Apple TV, MacBooks, etc. and not just new ones.

18. Fenez macrumors regular

Once again people will ignor the facts and just speak...with the exception of a few....this is being implemented by Oct 2015 whether apple is on Board or not..the reason they will use NFC now is because they have no choice..its going to be the standard, most will rewrite history and say "apple made it huge" its going to be huge because its going to happen like it or not..
    They caved to NFC because they have to, just like caving to larger sized phones... They have to or get left behind.

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Having NFC is a good move. I've used Google Wallet on my Android phones and it's quite nifty to use. It's really not the same experience on the iPhone.

20. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

21. krravi macrumors 65816

If NFC and the payment network for it gets a wide installed base, it would be the epitome of easy payment. Completely eliminates the wallet.

It has been used widely in Japan for a decade or more for paying vending machines,grocery stores, gas stations,transport(Air,Train etc..)

Now will Apple push its payment system widely?

VISA and others should be wary....unless Apple piggy backs on them.

22. wigby macrumors 68000

Perhaps the carriers hampered Google Wallet because Google didn't SELL it to them or consumers. Great technology must be followed up with great marketing otherwise no one will care. Apple learned this the day the company was born. Google has not learned is lesson yet.

----------

All you're saying is that Apple has great timing. Large phones might be inevitable but they are not selling that well right now compared to smaller phones. Apple will accelerate that process greatly but if you prefer to look at it like they waited for just the right moment to get into that size market, then have fun. We all know the large phone category will blow up like never before after September 9th. Same thing with NFC and payments. We don't call it caving in. We call it good timing followed by good execution.

----------

There's no reason that both Bluetooth and NFC can't be included and do the same thing but in different ways. If anything, I'm still more excited about Bluetooth because of its range. It's kind of annoying to have to keep your iWatch 3 inches away from your iPhone in order to sync the two which is what NFC would require.

23. chasemac macrumors 6502a

chasemac

24. kdarling macrumors P6

kdarling

Phones with displays larger than the iPhone are selling quite well. That's why Apple is doing an about-face after saying that 4" was the right size.

As of the first quarter, over 1/3 of phones being sold were 5" or larger (i.e. phablets). In China, phablets are getting close to 1/2 of sales.

That doesn't even count all the popular 4.5" to 4.9" phones.

25. wigby macrumors 68000

Are you speaking from any real experience? You do realize that Apple has securely managed 2x more credit cards than Amazon, right? That will count for something with any credit card company, not to mention merchant and consumer confidence.