Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Care to enlighten me?

first to my original post, I only lol at the fact that i do not feel an increase of 10% in the new model a year later even warrants mentioning.

Your original response was defending the fact that apple does not make the batteries,which your not telling the forum something they don't already know.

I'm not even sure what difference it makes who manufactures the battery,

Appleusergerman

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2013
wow 5% more battery power.....that is SO impressive! I have to pay another EURO 799 for that!

What a joke! Worst product launch ever - even the guys on the stage were not impressed!

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
get a battery case, really improved the overall experience.
Not necessarily true. Some battery cases increase the amount of heat inside the iPhone; which in turn decreases the overall health of the battery. Sometimes up to 30%. It's ideal to charge your iPhone out of its case to reduce internal heat, effectively preserving the health of the battery.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
I disagree. In fact, most people I know with iPhones have worse battery life than I do and I'm the only one registered on macrumors. It's not like we are encoding videos on our phones. We use it for social networking, pictures, phone calls, texts. Same as just about everyone else with an iPhone.

The numbers show that less than 10% of users run out of battery in a day.

Much like any complaint in these forums, it seems like a bigger issue than it is as the other 99% aren't saying anything. When the most recent Mac mini had video issues, these forums blew up. People here acted like it was a crazy widespread issue. In reality, less than 1% of owners had the issue. It just seems more widespread because for those that don't have a problem, they aren't heading to a support forum to complain about it. You don't see the thousands of happy customers.

Same deal with battery life. Your friends that don't have any problem with the battery capacity don't actively bring it up to you. Battery capacity generally ranks fairly far down on the list of complaints from phone users.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California

Much like any complaint in these forums, it seems like a bigger issue than it is as the other 99% aren't saying anything. When the most recent Mac mini had video issues, these forums blew up. People here acted like it was a crazy widespread issue. In reality, less than 1% of owners had the issue. It just seems more widespread because for those that don't have a problem, they aren't heading to a support forum to complain about it. You don't see the thousands of happy customers.

Same deal with battery life. Your friends that don't have any problem with the battery capacity don't actively bring it up to you. Battery capacity generally ranks fairly far down on the list of complaints from phone users.

It's a common trend you see on all forums. No one is going to wake up today and create a thread about how his iPhone is working perfectly.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
I do not believe that.... If Apple says: It lasts 9 hours, the truth is it lasts 5 to 6 hours

Same with Laptops

incorrect. apple's battery benchmarks have been rated as very accurate. the articles i read mention the real world use as slightly higher, not lower.

----------

I don't buy that, everyone I know with an iPhone 5, myself included, has lousy battery life. Before iOS 7 I got 5 hours of usage, after iOS 7 I get about 3-4 hours. Not only that, the battery bleeds out even when its asleep. This is true of everyone I know who has an iPhone 5.

everyone you know is not most people.

let me throw some more anecdotal evidence -- i get awesome battery performance. all day. i charge once per day...

----------

How about 50% more? That would change things a bit. A phone that doesn't last all day is a bit of a joke - however, it seems to be the standard now.

it speaks to the basic limitations of batteries.

The 5 barely squeaks by until the evening and if I dare use it more than just a little bit, it dies long before the sun sets. Ridiculous.

i really have no problems at all and use my phone through out the day. i charge once per day.

even normal apps run in the background for up to 10 minutes after they're backgrounded.

you are mistaken. background apps will go into a suspended mode unless running one of the special process times allowed -- file transfer, music, GPS.

That's wrong - the OS should take care of shutting down BG apps, and it also needs to be more efficient in handling the various things happening in the background.

it does. youre just mistaken:

http://speirs.org/blog/2012/1/2/misconceptions-about-ios-multitasking.html

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011

I'm part of the 90% who doesn't run out of juice too, but not because the phone lasts all day but I plug it in when I'm in the car.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Leave Facebook app open and it will drain your battery like crazy. I shut down all apps after I use them so battery has been great for my iPhone 5.

absolutely no reason to shut down your apps.

----------

I wish there was a standard way to gauge usage; I use my phone in what I would describe as moderately and by the end of the day (8AM - Midnight) I'm left with around 40%.

go into Settings > General > Usage

----------

I'm assuming by "shut-down" you mean delete it from the multitask app area? As I understand it, that does nothing.

that is correct.

----------

shouldn't a "smart" phone be able to be "smart" without shutting everything down just to get a days use?

1) you dont need to that. its a misconception out of ignorance.

2) my smartphone gets 24-hour use.

----------

Isn't amazing how Apple put a plastic in a preimum product and calling it iPhone 5C while leaving the premium pricd tag of last year model? Downgrade everyway! This is suppose to be cheaper and affordable. All this time we have been bashing Samsung for their plastic use and now this. *smh* Shame on you Apple!

huh? iphone 3G and 3GS were plastic, and cost $100 more when they were first released.

your entitlement is great.

----------

A truly revolutionary iPhone would have doubled the battery capacity,

yes, and changed physics!

the Fingerprint sensor is a pointless add-on, unnecessary, will end up unused by 99% of users after the gimmick wears off

riiight. keep telling yourself that now, while you still can.

(like siri)

i use siri all the time for reminders, appointments, and short texts.

----------

By shutting down I mean double tapp the home button, hold down the app on the multi-tasking bar until it starts wobbling and I click on the "x". If you leave FB app open in the background it will drain your battery since it works in the background looking for updates on your accounts, new postings, etc...

full of fail. 1) FB app doesnt do that. 2) removing items from the multi-tasking tray doesnt do anything because most apps going into the suspend state seconds after you push Home. only apps with special processes such as music, GPS, etc continue to run.

----------

I think it's safe to say yes you are missing something. A lot actually .

no he isnt. you mocked the battery improvement while seemingly being ignorant to the fact that the batteries are outsourced and a mature tech with little to no improvement over the years.

bawbac

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2012
Seattle, WA
Hope there's not an increase of fires...

Fatal-phone-accidents-iPhone-fire.jpg

jaymzuk

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2012
Killing one or multiple of these "bad citizens" doesn't really help, you need to make sure to keep ALL of them off the memory all the time.

If only there was some sort of quality control mechanism to ensure that apps that might impair our enjoyment of the phone as a whole were to be prevented from entering the app store

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
wow 5% more battery power.....that is SO impressive! I have to pay another EURO 799 for that!

What a joke! Worst product launch ever - even the guys on the stage were not impressed!

what on earth are you talking about? why would you buy a new phone for the 5% if you dont need it? i would wait until i needed a new phone and buy the best one for me. nobody expects you to upgrade every model, duh.

----------

Killing one or multiple of these "bad citizens" doesn't really help, you need to make sure to keep ALL of them off the memory all the time.

no, you do not need to remove normal apps from the recently-ran list.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
It's a common trend you see on all forums. No one is going to wake up today and create a thread about how his iPhone is working perfectly.

Exactly, yet so many people here believe that just because there is a 10 page post here or on the Apple discussion forums about an issue, it's a crazy widespread problem that a very large group of people is experiencing. In reality it's generally a very small number of users having the problem.

dvoros

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
battery life

Its all a scam. Phil very briefly glossed over this point. After all the hype of moving to 4G, he did not mention what the battery life is like in that network. I suspect its as poor as the total presentation on Tuesday.:eek:

Appleusergerman

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2013
what on earth are you talking about? why would you buy a new phone for the 5% if you dont need it? i would wait until i needed a new phone and buy the best one for me. nobody expects you to upgrade every model, duh.

Sorry but my 2 year contract is over...I thought that Apple has at least after 2 years something new to offer....guess my mistake....

I am really not happy that I have to start considering to move away from the Apple ecosystem bc Apple does not innovate anymore.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Sorry but my 2 year contract is over...I thought that Apple has at least after 2 years something new to offer....guess my mistake....

I am really not happy that I have to start considering to move away from the Apple ecosystem bc Apple does not innovate anymore.

What do you mean! They made a computer that looks like a cool little waste basket!

Bibbler

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2007
The Mon Valley!
iPhone

Look.. I've owned every iPhone every made and that entitles me to - - - nothing, my opinion is just as valid as a guy buying his 1st phone....

IMO, the 5C is a phone that Apple badly needed. Just the thought of selling "last years model" is, again IMO, a crummy way to sell a phone. And while the 5C is essentially last years model, Apple has made some improvement to the battery and probably a few other things. (Personally, I think Apple should continue the 4s with a few improvements like a lightning jack). I also like the new design - I'm not one of these guys who think that plastic is "cheap". Having cracked the back (and front) of my 4 and 4S, I personally believe the 5C may be a bit more durable than the glass backed phones.

The biggest problem with the 5C is price, period. But once again that is my opinion. Others may think different and buy one. The bottom line is if a product meets your wants and needs - you'll buy it, if not - you won't.

Doesn't that make a lot more sense that coming to message board and bitching for days on end at why the product won't work for you?? I make my mind up based on my needs and research, not what a bunch of hysterical ifans post.

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
So no all day battery life this year. I would like to be able to get an iPhone eventually which I can charge overnight and never need to charge again till I go to bed.

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
Really? That sucks. My three year old iPhone 4 still easily gets me through the day.

I plug my i5 in when I go to bed, and unplug it in the morning, just like I've done with every other iPhone back to number 1. Only rarely, like when I'm on a trip, to I plug it into a dock while I use Navigon and play music. Other than those times all of my iPhones have lasted all day no matter what I was doing.

Blurcrazy

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2013
This article needs to be corrected. Going from 8 to 10 is not a 10% increase, it's a 25% increase. Bad math gentlemen.

TTile

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2013

What would you like in terms of "innovation"? And for the love of god don't say a screen so big that you can't fit it in your pocket...

----------

Hope there's not an increase of fires...

The fires were caused because people were too cheap to buy an actual Apple lightning cable...or even an authorized lightning cable. It doesn't make much sense to purchase a 600.00+ piece of electronics and then put a 1.00 cable into it because you want to save money.

----------

absolutely no reason to shut down your apps.

----------

go into Settings > General > Usage

----------

that is correct.

----------

1) you dont need to that. its a misconception out of ignorance.

2) my smartphone gets 24-hour use.

----------

huh? iphone 3G and 3GS were plastic, and cost $100 more when they were first released.

your entitlement is great.

----------

yes, and changed physics!

riiight. keep telling yourself that now, while you still can.

i use siri all the time for reminders, appointments, and short texts.

----------

full of fail. 1) FB app doesnt do that. 2) removing items from the multi-tasking tray doesnt do anything because most apps going into the suspend state seconds after you push Home. only apps with special processes such as music, GPS, etc continue to run.

----------

no he isnt. you mocked the battery improvement while seemingly being ignorant to the fact that the batteries are outsourced and a mature tech with little to no improvement over the years.

This.

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
who cares about 5 or ten percent more battery for a phone?????

Does MacRumors stil have other topics than every smallest ****** about the phone?

I actually find it interesting. Thinking long run, if they can add new features, improve specs, and maintain battery life - thats good. If they do that and have an incremental increase in battery life with each generation - to me thats notable. Unless theres some major breakthrough in battery tech, this is whats going to eventually lead to bettery battery life - a cumulative 10% increase with each generation soon adds up.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009

Apparently most of the 10% are around me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.