• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

113535-gartner_4Q10_us_trend.png

Apple's U.S. Market Share Trend: 1Q06-4Q10 (Gartner)
Research firms Gartner and IDC yesterday released their preliminary quarterly personal computer shipment data, offering up a picture of market performance during the fourth quarter of 2010 and for the year. Overall, the PC industry exhibited small growth on a worldwide scale, with unit shipments growing by about 3% between the fourth quarters of 2009 and 2010. But shipments in the U.S. actually declined year-over-year by about 5-6% according to the two firms. IDC in particular points to the iPad as having a detrimental effect on PC sales.
Growth steadily slowed throughout 2010 as weakening demand and competition from the Apple iPad constrained PC shipments. In addition to relatively high market penetration and a 'good-enough' computing experience with existing PCs, consumers are being more cautious with their purchases and competing devices have been vying for consumer dollars. This situation is likely to persist in 2011, if not worsen, as a wave of Media Tablets could put a dent in the traditional PC market," said David Daoud, research director, US Quaterly PC Tracker and Personal Computing.
According to Gartner's report, Apple matched its fifth place in the U.S. market from a year ago in grabbing a 9.7% share, up significantly from a 7.4% share in the prior-year quarter. The number is down slightly, however, from a 10.4% share in the previous quarter, although Apple typically sees a decline in market share in the fourth quarter of each year as it comes off of the strength of its third quarters buoyed by educational sales.

113535-gartner_4Q10_us.png

Gartner's Preliminary U.S. PC Vendor Unit Shipment Estimates for 4Q10 (Thousands of Units)
Apple's U.S. unit growth for the quarter was 23.7% year-over-year, well ahead of the overall U.S. industry trend of a 6.6% decline.

IDC's report paints a slightly different picture, but still shows Apple gaining market share in the U.S. as it experienced significant growth in a declining market. According to IDC, Apple's U.S. shipments grew 15.2% year-over-year for the fourth quarter, bucking the trend of the overall industry's 4.8% decline and allowing Apple to move from 7.2% market share in the fourth quarter of 2009 to 8.7% in the fourth quarter of 2010.

For the year, IDC's numbers show Apple being edged out by Toshiba for the fourth position in the U.S. market, with both companies claiming 8.8% market share and Apple shipping over 6.5 million computers. That share number was up significantly from 7.8% for calendar year 2009, and came on 18.4% unit growth. As usual, neither Gartner nor IDC covered Apple's worldwide performance for the fourth quarter or the full year, as the company does not rank in the top five by global shipments.

Article Link: Apple Boosts Market Share in Slumping U.S. PC Market

dacapo

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2010
This is market share in terms of "units shipped", right?

I wonder what the market share is in terms of $.

Comment

infiniteentropy

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
Almost up to double-digit market share. Impressive! I know everyone that I know is now on a Mac. Even my mother-in-law got a new MacBook Pro at over 60 years of age and loves it. Once you go Mac, you never go back, it appears. I know that's how it went for me! :apple:

Comment

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando

Yes, this is units shipped. In $, I've usually seen Apple placed higher on the scale, though still not top (although if you only measure profits, I'm not so sure, but that's much harder to find accurate numbers to compare).

Almost up to double-digit market share. Impressive! I know everyone that I know is now on a Mac. Even my mother-in-law got a new MacBook Pro at over 60 years of age and loves it. Once you go Mac, you never go back, it appears. I know that's how it went for me! :apple:

Yep, they even dipped into the double digits late last year. Remember too this is in units shipped that quarter, not installed base. Their installed base is going to be in the double-digits by now probably, considering the numbers being shipped. I could be wrong, though.

jW

Comment

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009

Apple actually used to have a bigger share in US market. So "you never go back" paradigm clearly is incorrect ;) Besides, the share declined even compared to previous quarter despite release of new MBA models (which for Apple was an unusual thing to do in fourth quarter).

Last edited:
Comment

chainprayer

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Before we know it apple won't be "different" :)

Comment

Nicksd84

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2010
Atlanta, GA
That really is impressive. Kudos to Apple for their work. It's a great testament as well that even with such high growth they still have high quality and service.

Side story, I tried to convince a buddy of mine last year when he was buying a laptop to go with a MacBook. He ended up getting a Dell and a year later is hating it. I basically did the told you so speech and he agreed he made a not so wise decision. His words now are in a year or two he'll dump the Dell, get a "pimped out desktop" and an iPad.

Comment

Tailpike1153

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
Bellevue, WA
Good to see the little fruit company doing well. Now as long as i get my 27" iMac, life will get a little bit better. Still waiting for the jesus phone.

Comment

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
Welp guys, this is it.

This is when black hats all over the world begin to go full throttle on the Mac OS platform.

Forget everything you thought you knew about security. It's irrelevant now. The growth is too irresistible. Suit up with a good anti virus. I hear Norton is pretty good....

We're all doomed.

//disconnects internet

Comment

Blu101

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2010
Apple actually used to have a bigger share in US market. So "you never go back" paradigm clearly is incorrect ;)

Not necessarily. Just because market share goes down doesn't mean people are switching from Apple back to PC, it just means that more people bought PCs than Macs, and this can come from new customers and/or repeat buyers (replacements/upgrades/2nd computer) ;)

Comment

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Welp guys, this is it.

This is when black hats all over the world begin to go full throttle on the Mac OS platform.

Forget everything you thought you knew about security. It's irrelevant now. The growth is too irresistible. Suite up with a good anti virus. I hear Norton is pretty good.

We're all doomed.

//disconnects internet

These numbers are actually just for US. Apple's market shared worldwide is nowhere near 10% (last number I saw was 4%)

Comment

kirky29

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England

+1
Once I went Mac, I haven't looked back!
My mom uses a MacBook
My Dad uses an iMac
And my G'dad should be getting an iMac

Comment

Eriamjh1138@DAN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
BFE, MI
Wow. Just... wow.

This is fracking amazing. 10% Marketshare was inconceivable in 2006 (actually, I predicted it - just open ended).

Good products that are useful trump price.

By the way, I think marketshare is usually in dollar volume. It's the easiest to measure.

Comment

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Yes, this is units shipped. In $, I've usually seen Apple placed higher on the scale, though still not top (although if you only measure profits, I'm not so sure, but that's much harder to find accurate numbers to compare).

While growth in "units shipped" category is clearly a good thing, the same can not be said about the $ share. For us, as consumers, higher dollar numbers reflect higher Apple prices which is a not so good thing :(

Comment

JimEJr

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2008
What if iPad was included?

Wonder what those #'s would look like if the iPad was included in Apple's count as a computer. I've been using it for heavy business purposes since it came out as my primary computer, especially since I was able to get multitasking as a dev months earlier. It really is a computer! Apple would definitely be in third place...at a min.

Comment

ipoppy

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
UK
All what I think of right now is if should I go short on AAPL before earning announcement next week or hold it.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Comment

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
I'm glad to see Apple holding strong in the PC Market...In these days with all the headlines for the iPhone, iPad, and the iPod it's nice to see Apple have success with the product that started it all.

With or without "Computer" at the end of their company name, they will always be, in my mind, a computer company first. Although I am glad for the success of the "gadgets"...no doubt they have helped bring some of the converts over as well.

Comment

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
All what I think of right now is if should I go short on AAPL before earning announcement next week or hold it.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I think it's a little early to go short on AAPL. Besides, what's the rush? I suspect that once the stock starts falling it'll be a long process.

Comment

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I wonder if it will ever go above 15%? Well Lion help? Macbook Air for $499? iMacs with i7 CPUs for $999? More commercials? Steve Jobs as a cyborg? Daily Apple Media events on every TV channel in the home?

Comment

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Wonder what those #'s would look like if the iPad was included in Apple's count as a computer. I've been using it for heavy business purposes since it came out as my primary computer, especially since I was able to get multitasking as a dev months earlier. It really is a computer! Apple would definitely be in third place...at a min.

Well, analyst estimates for the quarter are for around 6 million iPads worldwide. I can't remember off-hand what the estimated splits are for U.S. vs. international when it comes to the iPad, but in the prior quarter 43% of the company's overall revenue was from the U.S. So that would make somewhere around 2.6 million iPads sold in the U.S. during the quarter as just a very rough guess.

Given that none of the other major PC manufacturers are really selling tablets in major quantities (don't know sales numbers for the HP and Dell tablets, but Apple is said to have in the neighborhood of 90% share), you can basically just add the 2.6 million to Apple's number and the total number to recalculate: Apple would come in at about 4.4-4.5 million units to pass Dell for second place. Apple's overall market share in that scenario would be a bit above 20%.

Comment

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
I wonder if it will ever go above 15%? Well Lion help? Macbook Air for $499? iMacs with i7 CPUs for $999? More commercials? Steve Jobs as a cyborg? Daily Apple Media events on every TV channel in the home?

the only person i know with a Mac, found it after it was lost at his place of work and never claimed. it's a macbook from 2007 or so.

everyone i know won't buy it due to the cost. in 2011 no one wants to spend more than a few hundred $$$ on a computer unless they are building a gaming PC. the same people love their ipods, iphones and iPads but will never spend $2000 on a laptop unless it has a killer nvidia card for gaming. the last person who asked me about a MBP he was considering i told him that any laptop with similar battery life will run you about the same amount of money. most people use their laptops only at home and don't care about battery life

Comment

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain

Apple made a profit of 14bn in 2010, Dell made a profit of 1.4bn.

Think that speaks for itself.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Before we know it apple won't be "different" :)
Whatever will the elitists do? :D

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.