Apple Briefly Ranked as Most Valuable Company in the World

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 9, 2011.

1. LagunaSol macrumors 601

LagunaSol

AAPL shareholder here. The stock is undervalued, if anything. The company is growing like crazy, yet its P/E sits in line with flatlined companies like Microsoft. Look at Amazon's P/E. Or Netflix. Now those are overvalued stocks.

I recently read an analysis that stated that Apple would have as much cash on hand as the entire company is currently worth in a matter of 3 years or so. And I believe that was projected at zero growth, which we know will not be the case.

I would like to see an AAPL split to remove the psychological perception that it's overpriced when the facts show that it is not.

I'm hanging on to my AAPL and not letting go.

2. CRSmoak macrumors newbie

I'm happy for Apple but in my opinion, I think they've to a certain degree let all this success go to their head. There are many examples and Blu-ray (again, IMO) is as valid as any so really, why try to degrade another mans post. Honestly, you need to get over yourself...and +1 on wanting an OPTION for Blu-ray.

3. nylonsteel macrumors 6502a

nylonsteel

re todays aapl price action

nice roller coaster ride aapl

"will worrying change the outcome?..." - kwai chang caine

4. Speedy2 macrumors 65816

This is nonsense. Apple is a huge company, in terms of employee count, revenue, profit and market cap. By which definition are they small?

As long as they make their money in accordance with the law, the profits can be as "windfall" as it gets. What kind of investigation should that be anyway? "You are making a lot of money, this is illegal!" Apple doesn't even have a monopoly it could abuse.

Go back to North Korea.

5. henrystar macrumors regular

I"ve got mine, man - I bought shares in AAPL long, long, ago, and never sold. Steve - I know you won't give them free stuff.

6. swagi macrumors 6502a

So a derived pun from a famous quote for you:

"iPads don't buy iPads"

Maybe you'll find the original and then rethink your position ;)

7. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

Hmm,
    It won't be official until the end of tomorrow, when we can finally know if XOM will take the lead again or fall below AAPL further.

On a side note, it's quite hard (at least for me) to comprehend those decimal differences in market cap as being huge numerical differences (in the hundreds of millions of dollars).

8. Skoal macrumors 68000

"Apple, Inc. is now the most valuable public company in the world!"

Awesome, now that they've achieved that can they fix Lion?

9. Eric-PTEK macrumors 6502

LOL. It's call SARCASM.

I am the biggest right wing capitalist you will find.

My point was the hypocrisy of the mostly left wing owners of Apple and Apple equipment who would take every pot shot they can at any other company of equal profit, i.e. the oil companies. It's all bad when other companies do it and the greatest thing in the world when Apple does it.

And no, in the grand scheme of things Apple is not a large company.

They outsource most of their manufacturing, their overall direct Apple staff is not exceedingly large. Mostly what they own is intellectual property.

I read they have 49k employee's, most of them are probably in the retail outfits and in corporate terms they are fodder. The real value employee's who create, design, and market Apple products is small.

How else do your think such a 'small' company gained such a large market cap on 'small' sales?

If you added up Apple's physical value outside of the patents they hold they are extremely small.

Using that metric Google is an even smaller company.

10. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

What are you talking about?

EDIT: nevermind, just saw your post above this.

11. toddybody Guest

toddybody

Where the hell is "there" ?

12. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

I'm not sure I understand your "metric" and I don't think many people do, either. Apple is profitable, and we can leave the "big" or "small" determinations based on total number of employees. What you consider as "fodder" (Apple store employees) also enables Apple to have unparalleled retail reach which is key to their strategy & sales, which makes them profitable.

I'm not sure I follow what your point is, maybe you can clarify it for us.

13. Sauron's Master macrumors regular

Most people who work in finance or trade in the markets would understand "most valuable company" to denote enterprise value, not equity value. This would, among other things, include debt (of which Exxon has a significant amount), and omit Apple's large cash stockpile, despite the fact that most of it is restricted thanks to transfer pricing.

It's sloppy because they don't clarify that they really mean that Apple's common equity is now the most valuable, that the comparison set is limited to other publicly traded multinational firms, and that it's kinda pointless given the current market tumult.

Saudi Aramco is not worth several "trillions" but there are various state-owned enterprises (including Aramco) that are worth more than Apple's common equity.

14. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

I am a PC fan though. Just an Apple PC fan. So you mean all us Apple PC fans have to stab ourselves too?

15. khkman22 macrumors member

More like $1.6 billion, or $1,600 million behind. Nice math MacRumors.

16. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

Exxon took back first place

Now that the markets have closed for today, we will have to wait for tomorrow to see if XOM will fall further or if AAPL will overtake XOM.

Currently, after markets closed, AAPL is almost $2 billion below XOM's market cap. But given the volatility of the markets, and the price of oil going down, that'll probably change by end of tomorrow.

17. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

18. a.gomez macrumors 6502a

a.gomez

and all it took was iOS... and they say Dumbing Down has no benefits :rolleyes:

19. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

And this my friend is the genius of Apple.

20. liavman macrumors 6502

This is more for fun, watching this race. When market caps are this close, the differences are meaningless. So, before we declare Apple has really become the most valuable company in terms of market cap, let there be 10 B in difference.

The reasons are:

1) Different sources quote different values for number of shares outstanding. I checked yahoo's market cap numbers and that seem to be different what is used in this thread.

2) Companies issue shares for various reasons in small quantities for employee stock ownership plan, options exercises etc. When market caps are this close, such small changes in shares outstanding can swing it one way or the other.

To account for all this, let us wait till Apple is more or less permanently atleast 10B ahead of XOM.

21. newbididewbidie macrumors newbie

Such as....

Spilling oil?

22. liavman macrumors 6502

23. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

Oil is used to make many of the soft and hard plastics we all enjoy today. So no oil equals so plastic. Plus the oil for transport fuel etc etc.

Apple on the other hand enriches so many people's lives with their products.

So you can live without oil and Apple products. But our lives are so much the better with them.

24. ks-man macrumors 6502a

While market cap is a fun stat and the run-up by Apple is certainly impressive, it certainly isn't the "end-all be-all" statistic. Apple has about $90b in cash. If they were to decide to give half of that back in a special dividend the market cap of Apple would instantly go down by over 10%. To be fair I have no idea how much cash XOM has but regardless, market cap really isn't the statistic to be used to measure a company's size. Revenues are a better metric IMHO.

Wal-mart is the #1 company on the Fortune 500 list with revenues of $422b with Apple at #35 at 65b.

25. wvmb macrumors newbie

What? Waste their money on a company with no recent innovation, ugly products, low profit margins, insolvable ties to a useless OS,..... Oh wait, you made a funny!