Apple bumper scuffing silver band

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by nednarm, Jul 14, 2010.

1. nednarm macrumors 6502

I just took my bumper off for the first time in 2 weeks and saw a load of scuff marks underneath.
    Anyone else noticed this? I thought the bumper was supposed to protect the phone from this sort of damage.

IMG_5679.JPG

2. sparkie1984 macrumors 68000

Yep me too!

A few threads on this already mate your not alone

3. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Dust and debris gets in between bumper and phone, bumper has slight movement causing debris to scratch the phone. Bumper is meant to protect from a fall, most cases can cause scratching because of stuff getting in between the case and the phone and no case is air tight with no movement.

The best solution is what I did, use a full body skin on the back, front and sides, so the whole phone is protected even with a case. Scratch protection and drop protection.

I had my phone replaced, at the time I had no skin on it and my bumper did the same exact thing that it did to yours. About the same size scratch too, in almost the same spot. lol After I had it replaced, I put a skin on before I even thought about using my bumper again.

4. nednarm thread starter macrumors 6502

nice, I was thinking of just using some tape on the silver band and then putting the bumper back on.

5. iAmYou macrumors 6502

iAmYou

Even better solution is to just leave the iPhone in its original sealed packaging, and just go on ahead and leave it at the store to, as to not tempt yourself to open and use it.:rolleyes:

6. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Oh, look a smart ass. Aren't you clever.

Look some people are picky and care about scratches and resale value, if you don't then that's good for you.

I'm just as annoyed at those who abuse their phones and let it scratch to **** as you are to those who take care of their items.

7. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

eh..would work as well but when your phone is not in the bumper the skins look much nicer. They are cheap and effective, but so is tape I guess.

Here is my phone with the skins on

Also getting matte skin for the sides would most likely hide your scratch. ;)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=957983&highlight=phantom+skinz

8. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

9. nednarm thread starter macrumors 6502

I really like the look of that matte skin, I might have to invest in one. How much did it cost you? I'm having a bit of trouble trying to find a U.K distributor.

10. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

I know that Phantom Skinz shipps to the UK, pretty sure they do anyway. Not sure about prices there but it was like 17 bucks for a set of 2 full body skins using a coupon Summer2010.

The matte back and sides feel amazing and look very nice, it also fits great with the bumper and gives it a bit more snugness so it doesn't wiggle at all. The back totally removes the finger print aspect of the phone, I love it.

11. nednarm thread starter macrumors 6502

It's only $5 for international shipping on the phantom skinz site, very reasonable. Unfortunately that Summer2010 code isn't valid anymore. Anyone know other codes?

12. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Happened to me too, just took my bumper off after a couple weeks and noticed two very small scuffs on the side with the volume buttons. Not such a big deal though. Now I know how to differentiate mine from the other millions out there :D

13. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

14. ludawg23 macrumors 6502

this is actually really concerning.

I am extremely OCD regarding my phone and would HATE scratches on the metal band.

I have a Wrapsol Original kit on now and left the side pieces off because my bumper should be arriving soon.

Looks like i'll have to put on the side pieces.

Anyone with a bumper have those side pieces on? Does it fit easily?

15. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Like I said I have skins on my side and it fits like a charm, can't imagine the Wrapsol are much thicker, probably the same as any other skin.

16. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

the antenna band is stainless steel right?? polish the **** out of it!!!!

mirror finish antenna band!

17. davisjw macrumors regular

davisjw

Or just take the time to take the bumper off once a week and wipe off all the stuff inside them.... :rolleyes:

18. coasterider macrumors regular

Taking the bumper on and off stretches it out. Eventually it will be too loose to even tape from the inside.

19. Khryz macrumors 6502a

Same here. My bumper is coming Thursday. So tonight I'll need to install my Original's side pieces. Eh.

Honestly I don't even want a case that is frequently messing up peoples phones.

Hopefully there is better and safer bumpers soon (that look at good as Apple's).

20. ludawg23 macrumors 6502

The bumper will do for now. Received it as a b-day gift so it's not like I invested any money into it.

What I'm really hoping for is a Powersupport Air Jacket case, those rock.

21. teezee09 macrumors member

What color bumpers do you guys with the scratches own? My black bumper has a great fit (none of the looseness that I've read about here) and zero scratches. It's been on my phone over a week.

22. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

You guys have to realize it's not an inherent fault of the bumper or its design. Whatever case you have, dust will find a way to get in between it and the phone and it will scratch, even if there's no physical gap or play. If you're that worried about the phone itself scratching, there's no way to avoid it without installing one of those skin shields before putting it in a case.

Even that $80 bumper that everyone is talking about will have this issue on a naked phone. You'd be surprised at the places dust can sneak into.

Of course it's a matter of luck also. One person can install the bumper, leave it on for a year and come out with a perfect phone, another can take it off after 2 hours and have it scratched. There's no way of predicting, so don't take a couple of people's experiences to mean that's what will happen to you also.

23. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

every case for the most part can scuff up your phone if u dont clean the dust and crap out of it...your pockets aren't as clean as you think so sand, dust and fine grit will find its way into your case and left there friction will cause it to scratch you phone.

I clean my case at least once a week as well use a skin for the added protection

24. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

There is no air tight case, this can happen with any case. It usually does actually. Hence why like I said I only go with a case that can work with a skin.