Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bb426

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
California
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

scoobydoo99 said:
Once Samsung release the Galaxy S with retina on top of the critically acclaimed Super AMOLED plus display the iphone will effectively bite the dust.

Quite an ironic post, considering Apple has filed trademarks for "Retina" display.

"Galaxy S with retina" LOL

Surprised eye care companies haven't sued yet.

iMaci7

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2011
I dont understand why Samsung wants to see Apples future products. What are they trying to prove?

And, based on Apples accusation, thats the last thing Apple would want to do right? Why give Samsung a sneak peak at their newest creations, when you acuse them of copying?

bb426

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
California
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

iMaci7 said:
I dont understand why Samsung wants to see Apples future products. What are they trying to prove?

And, based on Apples accusation, thats the last thing Apple would want to do right? Why give Samsung a sneak peak at their newest creations, when you acuse them of copying?

If the courts ask, they must give. No way around it, unless Samsung is denied. And Samsung HAS an argument; whether or not it's a good one is another story.

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
This was pretty blatant. Apple's suing them for violating its patents. Apple requests to see recently announced/released products to see if it needs to include them in the suit.

Samsung needs to see Apple's products because...???

It's completely irrelevant?

Unless they really do base their product designs on what comes out of Apple? There are easier ways to admit guilt.

Samsung did it in jest/to make a point.

Samsung claims that it needs to see Apple's future products because devices like the Droid Charge and Galaxy Tab 10.1 will presumably be in the market at the same time as the iPhone 5 and iPad 3, and Samsung's lawyers want to evaluate any possible similarities so they can prepare for further potential legal action from Apple.

un.titled

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
Samsung wants to see Apple's unreleased products right after Apple blamed them for already stealing ideas? Get the **** out.

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
If they are eating into Apple's sales, which they are, then obviously Apple's worried.

Where is your evidence that they are eating into Apple's sales? Everything I see says Apple sells 'em as fast as they can make 'em. It's not Apple's fault that the phone market is so vast that a bunch of companies can have skyrocketing sales at the same time.

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
Whats wrong with Android exactly? Since switch from iOS to Android the only thing different I can tell is my ability to skin my phone and use it however I want. Other than that they are almost identical.

Shhh! You're supposed to pretend that Apple is hopelessly outdated, far behind in functionality, and dead in the water. Instead you say iOS and Android have the same abilities. Bad for the Android camp to admit that.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Once Samsung release the Galaxy S with retina on top of the critically acclaimed Super AMOLED plus display the iphone will effectively bite the dust.

What about the software? What happened to that? You know, all the stuff that happens from when you turn the phone on to when it needs charging.

ABernardoJr

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2006
On a lighter note, it comes as little surprise that samsung happens to be mirroring Apple's request to see their products in court, much as it allegedly mirrors Apple's products. And samsung still manages to do both wrong.

azbigdog

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2011
what ??

If they are eating into Apple's sales, which they are, then obviously Apple's worried.

But its not that Apple didn't know about this.

Show me one report or chart or anything that shows that they are eating into Apple's profit. The report I saw yesterday says iPhone 4 is top selling phone at verizon, and at&t. A phone that is a year old, is still outselling the droid p.o.s. of the day. I hardly doubt that Apple is worried.

radiohead14

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2008
nyc
Implemented features competitors offer is one thing. Samsung has done more than that. Compare Samsung's tablet to the Playbook for instance. The Playbook has some unique features in the OS that distinguish it. Admittedly all tablets will be similar, but each should try to offer something new.

Nice try rehashing the old talking points though. The key word there being "old". You lose.

As for Samsung's tablet, Android itself is a problem. Google can't seem to get rid of the malware. I've heard some call it the Windows of mobile OS. I'm sure it is a fine OS but I don't have time to deal with all that. I like to pass on the news though so that Android users get it quickly. Here are some recent Android malware news to be aware of:

Android Market's Malware Flood Level Rises With Plankton Surge

Android Malware Found in Angry Birds Add-On Apps

hahaha.. i love how you think that just by saying "you lose" wins your argument. wow.. how old are you?

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
So Apple is working on iPad3 now.

Samsung will be working on their next range of Tablets also.

Apple launches the iPad3 next March, Samsung launches something very similar 8 weeks later.

Apple shout "YOU HAVE COPIED US AGAIN"

But how do you know if you are making your product too similar to someone else's product if you don't know what someone else's product is?

It's like me saying I don't want you to make the same model for our exhibition next year, but if you don't tell me what model you are making, how will I know if I'm making the same one?

It's all a bit silly.

Mind you, we should not forget, all of this is great news for us the consumers.

radiohead14

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2008
nyc
Yes everyone copies each other but there's a difference here. The difference has been explained by some very learned people inside and outside this forum; so I won't be repeating any.

As for the Blackberry and wifi-sync thing, here's my argument:

1. BBM: What is Google Talk? AIM? ACQ? Windows Messenger?

They all are more or less the same. The only difference is that they are not platform dependent. If Windows Messenger becomes restricted to Windows devices, what does it? Is it a BBM clone?

Don't tell me that a simple chat client is BBM clone.

2. Wifi-sync?

I don't know how people would comprehend this, but it just makes you look like a troll.
These are generic things which are not something that one copies from another. This would be like saying.
In 2012 Android implements GPU accelerating in Android IceCream-Sandwitch. Such a copy of other operating systems.

Weird arguments.

so by having similar looking icons is worse than implementing features from other OS? that's my point.. you die hard apple fans claim it's copying when others have similar things to Apple, but when Apple takes features from others.. it's all of a sudden ok?

BLACKFRIDAY

macrumors regular
May 23, 2011
so by having similar looking icons is worse than implementing features from other OS? that's my point.. you die hard apple fans claim it's copying when others have similar things to Apple, but when Apple takes features from others.. it's all of a sudden ok?

Are you seriously avoid the whole trade dress law suit to jump to icons?

Apple's lawsuit isn't about the icons that TouchWiz uses. It's about the entire presentation from Hardware to software to confuse the person into at the least giving attention to that product.

Leaping Tortois

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
In regards to the whole lawsuit in general, I think that the biggest place that apple has to look at is in advertising. That screen shot of the Galaxy S app list compared to an iPhone home screen does make it seem like an iPhone (I think that wasn't samsungs smartest move, gives more power to the competitor), BUT as soon as you get past those screens they're VERY different phones.

You know, the galaxy S2 actually IS a bit of a threat to the iPhone market, not saying it'd topple it, just saying that the release time, coupled with excellent phone features and Android's UI, which some people may prefer believe it or not, will lead to many people on expiring iPhone contracts to adopt this phone here and now, on top of that, the iPhone 5 or 4S or whatever will have to be AMAZING (not apple amazing, actual amazing) to even begin to take back the market share. What ever comes out second has to be far better than what came out first. For this years round of phones, the Galaxy S2 is the heavyweight (HTC Sensation is meh and let's say that while the Atrix is nice, it's not as nice as the S2 and not worth all the radiation you'd absorb from using the thing).

As for the guy going on about malware? EVERY device that can run a program can run a virus, or malware, It takes users to screw it up the most these days, and while it's true that an open platform increases the risk, the shear popularity of the iPhone, coupled with users beliefs that it's impervious to viruses, and apple unwillingness to EVER admit that their platforms are susceptible to attack makes for a good target. (http://gizmodo.com/5325703/iphone-s...llow-every-iphone-in-the-world-to-be-hijacked). This flaw later showed up on other platforms, but apple did nothing for a month, good thing these guys didn't release the code to anyone!

BLACKFRIDAY

macrumors regular
May 23, 2011
Where is your evidence that they are eating into Apple's sales? Everything I see says Apple sells 'em as fast as they can make 'em. It's not Apple's fault that the phone market is so vast that a bunch of companies can have skyrocketing sales at the same time.

Hey,

I know that Apple is going wild with their mobile business, but if you look it from the other side, the sales that are not going for Apple are going for Android-devices irrespective of the fact that Apple cannot make so many of those at the same time.

Btw: iPhone ships in the next 24 hours; so obviously they are making many and selling them as well.

42streetsdown

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2011
Gallifrey, 5124
Apple should be like "iPhone 5, what iPhone 5?"
I mean technically no one outside of Apple can say for certain that the device exists. We all "know" it does, but Apple could just decide to stop making phones now for all we know.

radiohead14

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2008
nyc
Are you seriously avoid the whole trade dress law suit to jump to icons?

Apple's lawsuit isn't about the icons that TouchWiz uses. It's about the entire presentation from Hardware to software to confuse the person into at the least giving attention to that product.

oh you mean the cherry picked images that's been rehashed all over here? look.. there's no way a sensible 'adult' will ever confuse the phones. again.. all that is aesthetics.. not actual software features like what apple has implemented recently in iOS.. i wasn't gonna point out how you ignored the Android notifications before, so i guess i'll bring that up now. how is having a set of images be worse than having a very recognizable notification system be implemented? and hardware? point to me exactly what will confuse people thinking that a 4" display phone with the name "Samsung" obviously written right up front and back, with 3 different looking capacitive buttons up front, contoured body, and running a completely different OS is an iPhone? do you really think people are that stupid?

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Weak response... Samsung's gambit is a good one...

No it's not. Samsung needs some legal basis to be allowed access to Apple's products. In fact, even if they had a good reason (and they don't), in almost every court case only Samsung's outside lawyers - not anyone at Samsung - would be permitted to have access to this information. (It would be covered by a "protective order" that determines who is permitted to see it).

As for Apple's response, it's dead on. Samsung has not expressed any rationale for needing access to Apple's information.

BLACKFRIDAY

macrumors regular
May 23, 2011
oh you mean the cherry picked images that's been rehashed all over here?

So you agree the images are cheery picked but come from Samsung PR and advertising?

look.. there's no way a sensible 'adult' will ever confuse the phones.

You are not supposed to decide for everyone. People get confused. If not exactly confused, they wish to see what's in that particular Samsung galaxy phone now that it looks like the so-popular iPhone.

again.. all that is aesthetics.. not actual software features like what apple has implemented recently in iOS.. i wasn't gonna point out how you ignored the Android notifications before, so i guess i'll bring that up now. how is having a set of images be worse than having a very recognizable notification system be implemented?

See above. A notification system doesn't imply everything. That's not the first thing you see in the operating system. Also again, the notification may be a copy to some but another rational thought explains that it's been in place for years.

and hardware? point to me exactly what will confuse people thinking that a 4" display phone with the name "Samsung" obviously written right up front and back, with 3 different looking capacitive buttons up front, contoured body, and running a completely different OS is an iPhone? do you really think people are that stupid?

People aren't stupid. It's all about tricking people into looking at something. More like phishing. You make a very product very similar to the most popular product and you sell. Simple.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
It makes total sense why Samsung needs to see the iPad 3 and iPhone 5.

How else are they going to change their future designs to match if they don't have them? Guess they may have to wait. :p

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Did Apple just accuse Samsung of "harassment" in relation to Apple secrecy around their products???

HOW DARE Samsung! Only Apple is allowed to Harass people!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.