Apple Campus 2 Work Continues as Lights Begin Turning On

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 30, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Less than a month after the last update on the ongoing construction of Apple's new spaceship campus in Cupertino, California, a few new drone videos have been shared online showcasing the progress of the project. The biggest changes over the past few weeks center around the appearance of lights on the outside of the ring-shaped building, along with fewer construction cranes, suggesting the near-completion of the campus as work shifts from architectural to electrical and the surrounding landscape features.

In the center of the campus, the large water feature has begun receiving its foundation, but otherwise no additional progress has been made on the surrounding garden area. In the last update, the outline of the pond and large new boulders and greenery were some of the most noticeable changes.

The video shows off the progress of the underground auditorium, which Apple plans to use for future product and service reveals, as well as the beginnings of one of seven campus cafe locations appearing on the outside edge of the spaceship building. A brief glimpse of the underground tunnels connecting various parts of the campus can also be seen towards the end of the video.

In a second drone video of the construction ongoing at Apple Campus 2, solar panel installation on the roof of the main building is estimated to be at 40 percent complete. It also provides closer shots of the underground auditorium, and the collection of peripheral buildings lined up on Tantau Avenue near the campus.

Apple plans to include a few amenities for its employees located on the campus, including various exercise-focused zones like joggling and cycling trails, and courts for basketball and tennis. The project is expected to be completed by the end of 2016, with employees moving in towards the beginning of 2017.

Article Link: Apple Campus 2 Work Continues as Lights Begin Turning On

2. KPandian1 macrumors 65816

3. rolsskk macrumors 6502

4. rehlers macrumors member

rehlers

Now if only they would put so much effort into the Mac lineup

5. OneZweiThree macrumors regular

6. forerunnerg34 macrumors 6502

forerunnerg34

When a company has nothing left to even create rumors

7. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

8. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

Can you imagine the iPhone (2017) keynote there?

9. TMRJIJ macrumors 68030

TMRJIJ

Construction workers don't work at Apple

10. Supermule macrumors regular

Supermule

11. eoblaed macrumors 68020

eoblaed

Oooh. I want a joggling trail!

12. manu chao macrumors 603

Apple has outgrown it own plans. The on-campus auditorium holds about 1000 people, but the last couple of iPhone announcements have been made in front of 2000+ people. Given that the WWDC keynote is also much larger, that auditorium might only see one or two presentations per year given the recent trends. Though it is naturally possible that Apple changes its presentation MO with that new auditorium available.

Wild question: Could Apple let a car roll onto the stage there? My guess would be no, during the construction there were no tunnels visible leading to the underground auditorium.

13. doelcm82 macrumors 68040

doelcm82

No! I don't want to wait until 2017 for new MacBook Pros!

You take that back.

14. avanpelt macrumors 68030

I think those are the first parking decks I've ever seen with rounded corners. Edit: I just remembered that the parking is underground so I guess those are just additional office buildings?

15. citysnaps macrumors 601

Intel does not manufacture building construction materials.

16. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

What I'd do for a basketball court at work...

17. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joggling

Or a typo. But I hope it's a joggling trail because that would be cooler! The only thing different I suppose would be gutters on the sides to trap balls.

18. dragje macrumors 6502a

dragje

Looks very impressive. Must look really nice once all the trees are placed!

19. riverfreak macrumors 65816

riverfreak

The next Apple Watch will have dedicated joggling tracking -- a fourth ring to complete each day will be added to the activity tracker.

20. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

I wonder how they are going to handle that HUGE water fountain being that there is a drought in California and I've seen many fountains turned off across the state.
    I'm sure it's reclaimed water...but still.

21. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

and theres on tiny little shaft/toilet, just outside, thats were they Mac Pro team will be. There's wasn't any space left for them inside.

22. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

23. now i see it macrumors 68030

And to think that four levels of that gigantic ring some day will be filled legions of coders working on the next super sized emojis.

24. satchmo macrumors 68000

Not to sound alarmist, but I truly hope this place will be properly secured.
    It's a prime target for those against capitalism.

I'm guessing getting in without a proper retina and fingerprint ID scans at the least!
    Although like everywhere else, it'll be difficult to stop any homegrown terrorism or someone working on the inside.

25. El Hikaru macrumors regular

I need them to work on New York City transit. Apple campus is visibly being build.