Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
Now if only they would put so much effort into the Mac lineup
Construction workers don't work at Apple
Yes they do! My friend works at Apple and that's why they have engineers. My friend actually a programmer every other day and operates the crane too. From what I heard Tim Cook is the only person working on Macs and Jony is busy with the iPhone due to high demand. If only Steve Jobs still alive he would have done everything himself. But since he's been doing it for awhile his health has deteriorated. Phil said once the Apple Watch will solve all their health issues all the Apple employees will be working 24/7 with just a little nap and proper breathing.

Last edited:
Reactions: jwkay

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Tesla: Building the world's biggest battery factory and the world's largest solar panel factory so they can turn the entire transportation and energy industries on its head, providing everyone in the world with inexpensive, clean power.

Space X: Building the world's largest rocket so we can colonize Mars and become a multiplanet species.

Apple: Building a large office building so they can continue iterating on products that have hardly changed in the last decade.

Pixar: Toy Story 4!

You're selling Elon Musk short if you think he's "the next Steve Jobs". Elon Musk is basically Tesla, Edison, the Wright Brothers, Einstein, Vanderberg, Hawking, Von Braun, Boeing, Steve Wozniak, and Steve Jobs, all rolled into one. Granted, he had all of those giants to stand on, but so did everyone else alive today, and I don't see anyone doing half as much as he is.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
Oooh. I want a joggling trail!
We all thought it was typo before, but that is the second time it's been mentioned here on MacRumors. Either there is lazy editor here, or it really is a trail for the rare sport of Joggling.

Is there some high-up person at Apple we know likes Joggling?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Tesla: Building the world's biggest battery factory and the world's largest solar panel factory so they can turn the entire transportation and energy industries on its head, providing everyone in the world with inexpensive, clean power.

Space X: Building the world's largest rocket so we can colonize Mars and become a multiplanet species.

Apple: Building a large office building so they can continue iterating on products that have hardly changed in the last decade.

You're selling Elon Musk short if you think he's "the next Steve Jobs". Elon Musk is basically Tesla, Edison, the Wright Brothers, Einstein, Vanderberg, Hawking, Von Braun, Boeing, Steve Wozniak, and Steve Jobs, all rolled into one. Granted, he had all of those giants to stand on, but so did everyone else alive today, and I don't see anyone doing half as much as he is.
I like a lot of Elon's ideas (though some are just...stupid.) and the guy is incredibly smart. But let's not hype up him as if he's a savant in the fields he's investing in. He's incredibly hands on, which I admire, given that he can speak at length on the technical aspects of almost every subject he's involved in. But let's get real, he's got the resources financially to do what he'd like, he's not an inventor in his own right.

I admire the guy in most ways, but lets not pretend that he's tinkering in a workshop actually inventing the technologies he's interested in. I will give him all the credit in the world for identifying and looking at problems holistically and finding the talent needed to advance those fields, which in my personal view is where the analogs to Jobs come into play.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
In a future Planet of the Apes movie, it is iconic enough to make it the ending scene when the astronauts discover they were on earth. After the ending credits, the scene where the astronauts later learn the Mac Pro was never updated too.

Reactions: lincolntran

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Might be a dumb question, but, is a circular shape really the wisest design choice here? Seems like it would take much longer to reach point A to B given that there is no middle, and you'd have to walk all around the circle to reach the other side?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I like a lot of Elon's ideas (though some are just...stupid.) and the guy is incredibly smart. But let's not hype up him as if he's a savant in the fields he's investing in. He's incredibly hands on, which I admire, given that he can speak at length on the technical aspects of almost every subject he's involved in. But let's get real, he's got the resources financially to do what he'd like, he's not an inventor in his own right.

I admire the guy in most ways, but lets not pretend that he's tinkering in a workshop actually inventing the technologies he's interested in. I will give him all the credit in the world for identifying and looking at problems holistically and finding the talent needed to advance those fields, which in my personal view is where the analogs to Jobs come into play.

You're right - apart from investing and hiring, he isn't all that hands on with Tesla and Solar City. The actual engineering brains at Tesla belong to JB Straubel. Solar City... IDK enough about them to say who is really responsible for the major breakthroughs with their factory. But Elon is both the CTO and CEO of SpaceX. If he didn't have the company working on it with him, he'd be working on it alone.

Reactions: NT1440

amegicfox

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2016
nyc
let's keep spending money left and right and not releasing new macs!

Tim that's the way to go

mcfrazieriv

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
At the Media event in September 2017, Apple will introduce Campus 2.
And you'll see why September 2017, won't be like "September 2017."

1984-2004.jpg

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010

So much ignorance and bitterness in this post...

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
The workforce behind this project should be very proud. Seeing those lights on is spine tingling.
Not watching anymore of the videos now till opening day. (shied away from watching this one)

Last edited:

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
Might be a dumb question, but, is a circular shape really the wisest design choice here? Seems like it would take much longer to reach point A to B given that there is no middle, and you'd have to walk all around the circle to reach the other side?

I think their point was to make it so that no matter where you walk, the longest walking distance between two points are always 1/2 the length of the building. In addition, team members are usually sitting close together in a room anyway, so it's not a problem either. Plus, if they do it right, a circular shape will give more offices with windows so the poor developers can see the sun instead of being stuck in a windowless room like most corporations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.