Apple can be preparing for a June/July 'iPhone 5' launch and WWDC announcement

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ThatsMeRight, May 28, 2012.

1. ThatsMeRight, May 28, 2012
    Last edited: May 31, 2012

ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Hello everybody!

Today I'm writing an article about why I believe Apple might be preparing an iPhone 5 to launch in June or July.

Thus-far, there are three main reasons why I believe Apple is preparing for a new iPhone launch in the near-future.

Controlled leak? WSJ: Apple ordering screens of 'at least 4 inches' for next-generation iPhone.
    http://www.macrumors.com/2012/05/16...at-least-4-inches-for-next-generation-iphone/
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303360504577407610487811698.html
    The Wall Street Journal reported that Apple is ordering screens of 'at least 4-inch'. The Wall Street Journal is one of the sources Apple uses for controlled leaks.

Now here is the thing: Apple usually does not leak information months before a product launch and it just wouldn't make sense for Apple to leak information about a product that's still many months away from a launch.

We can never be 100% sure whether or not this is a controlled leak, but as a tool I'm using an article written by an former Apple employee (a Senior Marketing Manager at Apple): http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/how_apple_does_controlled_leaks/. Coincidentally, this former Apple employee uses a WSJ article as an example.

So, why do I think this is a controlled leak?

- Two writers are involved: Lorraine Luk and Juro Osawa
    The exact same situation as described in the article.
    Reference from the article: "Walt Mossberg was bypassed so that Mr. Mossberg would remain above the fray, above reproach. Also, two journalists at the WSJ were involved. That way, each one could point the finger at the other and claim, "I thought he told me to run with this story! Sorry.""

- Publication released at an unusual time
    No one can claim Apple is trying to manipulate the stock market.

Read the article of this former Apple employee. Than read the WSJ article: it's got all the signs of a controlled leak. And timing? Perfect. The controlled leak about the iPad was 3,5 weeks before the iPad announcement. If Apple is going to announce a new iPhone at this WWDC, than this article was published 3,5 weeks before an announcement.

Controlled leak? Bloomberg reports: Steve Jobs 'Worked Closely' on Design of Next-Generation iPhone with Larger Display
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1372634
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...an-overhaul-of-iphone-with-bigger-screen.html

Again, this article just screams "CONTROLLED LEAK!" It's again a source Apple has used in the past to leak information. This article was also published at an unusual time so that no one can claim that Apple is trying to manipulate the stock market. Again two people have written the article so they can blame each other if there is a problem.

Third possible evidence: the pay raise for retail staff
    http://9to5mac.com/2012/05/26/apple...s-three-month-advance-on-employee-pay-raises/

This might be nothing, but a pay raise originally scheduled for September, will now go in effect in June. Does this mean a big product launch is forthcoming? I think it might be.

Edit: Possible next-generation iPhone design leaks
    - http://www.macrumors.com/2012/05/31...on-processor-unknown-sgx543-graphics-variant/
    - http://www.macrumors.com/2012/05/30...phone-front-panel-design-with-4-inch-display/
    - http://www.macrumors.com/2012/05/29...de-front-panel-with-centered-facetime-camera/

There's a lot of information leaking right now about a possible next-generation iPhone. Now it is not impossible for information to leak five months before an October launch (as most assume), but it is very rare. Usually, rather accurate information (with photos for example) leaks out only a few week before an announcement of a new product. It just happens to be so that we're just two weeks away from Apple's biggest keynote this year.

-------------------------------------------------
    If you put all this information together, I think there is a chance that Apple will announce a new iPhone during the WWDC of 2012.

However, there are also other factors you must take into account: non-controlled-leaks reports tell us that the design has not yet been finalized (which it should have been by now) and there are still conflicting reports about the screen size. On the other side: a 4-inch screen has already been reported in 2011 (before the iPhone 4S launch) and they have apparently been working on the design for some time too.

Other reasons for Apple not to move back to the June cycle, is that when they introduce an iPhone in September or October than they are right in front of the holiday season.

----------------
    Conclusion
    While I'm not certain at this point whether or not Apple will announce a new iPhone, I do think that there is at least a good possibility they will because of the (I assume) controlled leaks and the pay raise which has been moved forward.

What do you think? Discuss!

2. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

3. andyx3x macrumors 65816

For the one millionth time, the next iPhone is not coming out until the fall.

4. ThatsMeRight thread starter macrumors 68020

For the one millionth time, I don't read all your posts. How are you so absolutely one-hundred percent sure that Apple will not release an iPhone this Summer? As I said, it's unlikely they will, but in the post I have written I clearly explained why there at least is a possibility.

5. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

I think it's wishful thinking.

At this point, whenever a site/publication needs to hit advertising numbers for the month, they'll come up with some Apple rumor that's sure to drive the hits to their site.

Other than last years launch of the 4S, Apple has kept a relatively straightforward upgrade path for the majority of their devices.

I think that WWDC is going to be focused on iOS 6 and OS X Mountain Lion.

6. hakuna-matata macrumors 6502

For the 2 millionth time, you DON'T know this for sure.

7. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

June is too soon for a couple of reasons.

1: iPad just released. Apple won't want to compete with itself with 2 new launches close together.

2: iPhone 4S only 8 months old.

8. andyx3x macrumors 65816

OK, if will make you guys happy, I'll play along.

The next iPhone is coming out in June. Make your plans accordingly.

9. tworth23 macrumors regular

No update until Fall here's why!

All,

Apple ALWAYS releases a new OS with new iPhone hardware. They ALWAYS seed this new OS to developers for a minimum of approximately 90 prior to OS being released. That new ios then gets released along with the hardware. JUNE WWDC EQUALS SEPTEMBER/OCTOBER hardware release.

10. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

So far, apple has never released two phones inside of a year. One would think a benefit to this is that a lot of people will update once a year, probably not twice though considering the prices.

I think the iPhone 4 had an extended run because a lot of stuff happened with that device. First there was antenna gate, then the white model issue, then the VZW launch. Whether it's right or wrong, all of that did extend the life of the 4 past the usual year. the October launch was so insanely successful, even compared to other iPhone launches, that I think they will stick with it for a little while. It keeps the 4S people on that ready to trade up timeframe, it looks great to drop a new gadget right before Xmas, and it spreads out device releases into different quarters which looks good for the whole company and its investors.

iPod's used to be the big fall Apple toy, but since they are no longer the king of the mountain, I think they will keep the iPhone in a fall cycle at least for a few years. Once something that sells better comes along they will probably reevaluate their game plan.

11. ThatsMeRight thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks for your good and honest reaction. While I do agree with all of what you say, all I am saying is that there is a possibility for Apple to announce a new iPhone this WWDCnbecause of the presumably controlled leaks.
    That's definitely a good point. I still find the leaked rumours unusual.

1) That didn't bother thrm with the iPhone 4 (which became the best-selling iPhone ever at that time).

2) While Apple normally only upgrades their products once a month, it should be noted that 8 months is like forever in the tech world.

Indeed, it's likely but definitely not certain.

That is correct. Apple's upgrade path however has been unusual in 2011 anyway. Take the iPods for example: no upgrades at all.

I agree with most of you. What I, however, am pointing out is that there is an unlikely possibility for Apple to release a new iPhone is WWDC.

12. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

First of all, no one knows if they're controlled leaks or not. You speak as if you're almost certain they are controlled leaks. And controlled or not, There is no way the next iPhone will be announced in June for one simple reason... No iOS6. I dont know how anyone still has hopes for a June launch. Its not happening. No way, no how. Sorry.

13. chokem macrumors 6502

We went through all this with the 4S. No one knows, period. But my money is it won't be released till at least Oct.

14. iphone X macrumors regular

iphone X

i agreed we havent seen any betas for IOS6. so hopefully will see the next iphone late august - early september.

15. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

OP is just stating their opinion. Come ON guys, knowing Apple deep down, anything is possible :apple:

I remember last year, nobody saw the 'the no new iPhone at WWDC', everybody thought Apple had some grand plan in store since it waited a few months for a newer iPhone. Yet we got the 4S. :rolleyes:

I remember a user saying on here that a July release would help the new iPhone supplies gather up for holiday sales.

iOS 5 has LTE support as well. So anything still goes.

16. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

This guy is right.

Delete this thread.

17. WakeRider macrumors newbie

I think all or most of what the original poster is true.

My view: The current iPhone design is 2 years old, that's a long time to come up with the new phone. I think it's VERY possible that a june/july launch is going to happen.

I never counted the 4S as a new phone, new camera/A5(big deal) and Siri is just software.

My HTC rezound decided to go for a swim yesterday so I can only hope. ^^

18. nfl46 macrumors 603

2 weeks until we see what iOS 6 is all about. I miss the summer iPhone releases. But, its doubtful we'll see a July iPhone release. iOS 6 will take months until its ready for a GM releases...not weeks.

19. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

not that I think this is what's going to happen.... but it is possible for Apple to release a new iPhone without a new iOS. Again, I don't think they will, but they have surprised me before with weird stuff.

I am really hoping that iOS 6 floors me. I am honestly looking forward to it more than the next iPhone. My expectations for iOS 5 fell a little short. The only new feature I really use is the lock screen camera button. I can't stand notification center, I actually thinks it's worse than the old notifications, which were pretty bad.

20. irDigital0l Guest

WWDC 2012
    -New MacBook Pro (15 inch, Retina Display, USB 3.0, etc.)
    -Mac OS X Mountain Lion
    -iOS 6
    -New iCloud stuff

Apple wont release it in June...WWDC focus will be on those 4 things above ^

21. bushman4, May 28, 2012
    Last edited: May 28, 2012

bushman4 macrumors 68000

Good possibility,However much depends on whether or not Apple needs the product launch to make its numbers for the quarter. Also as we all know iPhone 5 will be the biggest launch ever and Apple needs time to build up inventory.
    Bottom Line: WWDC only two weeks away ........we'll know soon enough. Hopefully there is an announcement

Samsungs Galaxy3 on tues may also push Apple into a sooner launch

22. ThatsMeRight thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks. :) It's just a possibility and at this point I think it is unlikely Apple will announce a new iPhone: the possibility is there, however.

23. google macrumors regular

As far as I can tell, when parts start leaking it usually means the product is near release with Apple. There has been case prototypes which is not made by Apple previously and it never came true for the tear drop design. This is very close to release and I am certain we might see a summer launch. And no it will not compete with iPads as they are two different products. If that was the case they would never would have produced the iPad to begin with.

24. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

25. saud0488 macrumors 6502

What blows my mind is that people still believe that Apple doesn't do leaks. With how much control they have over their supply line, you guys REALLY think that these part leaks are really from insider sources? And that the beer-gate thing was really an accident? Apple saves millions upon millions in advertising by doing stuff like that and letting the lot of you spread this stuff for free publicity.