Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WitchDoktor

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2020
True story: was driving home and was passed by a gas-driven Tesla company van.

I confess to laughing a little.

• Haha
Reactions: DeepIn2U

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Not good. He must have been offered an excellent compensation at Ford to make the move.
No.

he has anger with Tesla and with the offer with Ford he wants to Prove Ford can do better than Tesla. Considering fords mustang mach e (a poor name altogether) is hurting in sales in N.America he pretty much has the reins of control over his destiny there.

just 40 days ago we’ve herd Watch team head would be moving to Apple’s secret car project and that May have set off this guy.

lesson for Apple: STOP are-hiring employees that have left more than once. They obviously do NOT want to be with Apple. Stop being a stepping stone.

very few employees left Apple once and returned and stayed: original VP of iPad Pro TChai and Craig previously worked at Apple then returned. TChai was pushed out due to Newton failing and **** down but returned.

Schismz

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
Isn’t it actually:

Tesla: Runs straight into nearest emergency response vehicle as soon as you turn on FSD.
Elon means well, and at least the car won't email your mom for being a dangerous (non)driver. There's just... a few bugs left; kinda like macOS and iOS and every OS, except it's a super-fast car hurtling along at very high speed driving itself, which makes it all way more exciting than just having core dumps all over your directories!

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
Difficult to say anything about the success as the availability is quite constrained due to the component shortage. In the short run, Tesla wins, because they can deliver. My local Tesla dealer said I could have a Tesla Model Y this month if I signed today. My local Ford dealer whispered "maybe May".

EV’s are still not a guaranteed thing. If the political winds change in the next few elections then I’m sure most US automakers will be happy to keep making petroleum based vehicles. They and their distributors make money on the regular servicing and the high number of moving parts that can require maintenance that ICE cars have.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Isn’t it actually:

Tesla: Runs straight into nearest emergency response vehicle as soon as you turn on FSD.
That behavior isn't unique to Tesla - every Traffic Aware Cruise Control from any automaker will crash into stationary objects because radar is very poor for detecting them.

It's why Tesla started to phase out including the radar hardware a few months ago, and they'll be sending out an update within a month to switch to having the existing vehicles use cameras exclusively for object detection.

ValueArb

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2010
That behavior isn't unique to Tesla - every Traffic Aware Cruise Control from any automaker will crash into stationary objects because radar is very poor for detecting them.

It's why Tesla started to phase out including the radar hardware a few months ago, and they'll be sending out an update within a month to switch to having the existing vehicles use cameras exclusively for object detection.

That's not why Tesla is phasing out radar, it's because they couldn't figure out how to make it work without it triggering phantom braking incidents. Fortunately that's not a problem for most every other car maker, whose automated braking systems actually work well.

But quality has never been job one at Tesla. Elons fixation on vision only is just one more delay in the last half decade of delays on the road to FSD, before he realizes it will never be achievable with their current hardware.

• Disagree
Reactions: ArtOfWarfare

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
That's not why Tesla is phasing out radar, it's because they couldn't figure out how to make it work without it triggering phantom braking incidents. Fortunately that's not a problem for most every other car maker, whose automated braking systems actually work well.

But quality has never been job one at Tesla. Elons fixation on vision only is just one more delay in the last half decade of delays on the road to FSD, before he realizes it will never be achievable with their current hardware.
Well when the expectation is for AP to not run into a truck crossing your lanes of traffic (a feat I don't think anyone expects any other car maker to do) and you have a company that for better or worse tries to fix it, well here we are. It is just like the sudden expectation that Tesla's not run into emergency vehicles which no other automaker has to worry about.

ValueArb

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2010
No.

he has anger with Tesla and with the offer with Ford he wants to Prove Ford can do better than Tesla. Considering fords mustang mach e (a poor name altogether) is hurting in sales in N.America he pretty much has the reins of control over his destiny there.

just 40 days ago we’ve herd Watch team head would be moving to Apple’s secret car project and that May have set off this guy.

lesson for Apple: STOP are-hiring employees that have left more than once. They obviously do NOT want to be with Apple. Stop being a stepping stone.

very few employees left Apple once and returned and stayed: original VP of iPad Pro TChai and Craig previously worked at Apple then returned. TChai was pushed out due to Newton failing and **** down but returned.

so if Apple had this policy, they’d have no Craig Fedaspaghetti?

Reactions: DeepIn2U

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2014
If Apple wants to sell their own car, they would have to have something that nobody else has, to make it cool and desirable. Just better carplay integration or the same self driving as Tesla wouldn't be enough. Plus it would be another lock-in to Apple's ecosystem, meaning like Tesla you would have to take it to Apple for any service, parts, etc. Right now Tesla already has that market. I'm not really seeing Apple's typical profit margins on this type of product either, as they would have to set up dealerships and repair centers like Tesla has done as well. Very long term project if they want to enter this. I could see "Apple versions" of other car maker's models though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.