MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Car rumors continued to surface on Friday, with reports that Hyundai Group affiliate Kia has approached potential partners about a plan to assemble Apple's autonomous electric vehicle at its West Point plant in the U.S. state of Georgia (via The Wall Street Journal).

Apple-car-wheel-icon-feature-purple.jpg
Kia Corp. has approached potential partners about a plan to assemble Apple Inc.'s long-awaited electric car in Georgia, according to people familiar with the matter. The proposal would involve a multibillion-dollar investment, according to people familiar with the matter, who stress that a deal hasn’t been completed.

Hyundai has talked to Apple about investing more than $3 billion in a deal that would see its subsidiary Kia begin building cars under the tech company’s brand as soon as 2024, a person familiar with the matter said. Under such an agreement, up to 100,000 vehicles could be assembled in the first year in Georgia, where Kia has a factory, the person said.

Meanwhile, in Asia, Nikkei reports that Apple is in discussions with at least six Japanese automakers over supply partnerships and manufacturing contributions (via Bloomberg). Honda and Mazda said they couldn't comment on rumors that they had been approached by Apple, while Mitsubishi said it had not been contacted and Nissan declined to comment.

According to Tatsuo Yoshida, a senior Bloomberg Intelligence analyst, Japanese automakers are usually too busy with their own development, manufacturing, sales and customer service to take on a task like working with Apple. However, Nissan or Mitsubishi "don’t have much work, and are somewhat idle, so they might sign up," he said.

Apple Car rumors have swirled for weeks now, with Apple said to be aiming to have a vehicle‌ in production in 2024, though it's possible that timeline will be delayed as work on the ‌Apple Car‌ is still in the early stages. Bloomberg recently said it would be five to seven years before an ‌Apple Car‌ is ready to launch, while Apple analyst Ming-Chu Kuo said this week that he expects to see the ‌Apple Car‌ in 2025 at the earliest.

Earlier this week it was reported that the first Apple Car to be released will not be designed to operate with a driver and could be marketed for food delivery operations and firms that incorporate robotaxis.

Article Link: Apple Car Latest: Kia Talks With Potential Partners About Vehicle Assembly in Georgia, While Apple Seeks Supply Deals With Japanese Automakers

Last edited:

TurboJobo

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2009
As a car enthusiast they are getting the most crappy companies they can, maybe because Apple can get them to do what they want. But I would never buy a Kia, Hyundai, Nissan and Mitsubishi are not what they used be back in the day. Go with Toyota or Mazda, Porsche used toyota engineers when they created the boxter. Even Tesla has issues with their build quality.

wilhoitm

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
As a car enthusiast they are getting the most crappy companies they can, maybe because Apple can get them to do what they want. But I would never buy a Kia, Hyundai, Nissan and Mitsubishi are not what they used be back in the day. Go with Toyota or Mazda, Porsche used toyota engineers when they created the boxter. Even Tesla has issues with their build quality.

It is funny that it is probably harder to assemble an iPhone than a car!

Romeo_Nightfall

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2018
Vienna
Apple Car has been rumoured for so many years... Production starting on 2024?

I found that’s way more plausible to see men walking on Mars prior Apple Cars running on Earth.
Nope - its for real now - but it will not be what many hoped for.

And i highly doubt apple is capable of making a real car from scratch like Tesla - its just not possible with their current headcount and strategy

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
Because other companies like BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Tesla etc. are already working on their own autonomous driving and infotainment systems, and are technologically quite advanced already. Hard to imagine any of the big companies would scrap their own r&d in favor of Apple, who cant even get Siri to work properly.

anthogag

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
If Apple wants a “designed in California“ car with outsourcing for manufacturing it could make deals with Canadian auto manufacturers. Established car companies have their own brands to think about. Canadian auto factories are already pros at making autos for someone else, for established brands.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Video streaming services, credit cards, cars . . .

How long can Apple keep being run as a big startup?

I think it's already long shown fault lines. Product categories and quality that languish I think in part because they generally operate like one school of fish all headed in the same direction rather than having clear departments.

For example, yes Intel chips run hot. But they didn't have to wait until the M1 to accommodate that. They let the Mac languish for years, while PC manufacturers made far cooler running computers with the same chips.

I know they're all about integration, but products actually worked pretty well together in the "old days" before everything Apple did had a common core OS and they aimed for feature parity across products, even at the cost of making some products worse. iPods didn't run any version of OS X and synced fine. In fact, iTunes worked well with third party devices. These days I can't properly connect an iPhone to a Mac to import photos, but I can on a Windows PC.

I remember before Apple products were less enmeshed across product categories, and it was actually easier using open standards to do a lot of things than it is today. I don't know how I did it but I remember back in 2001 beaming vCards between my iCloud and a friend's PC over Bluetooth. Now everything is about signing everything into iCloud and praying it works.

I think Apple is past the point that their structure should have become divergent, but maybe at last a car will push them to do that.

There will never be an Apple Computer company again, but maybe there can be an Apple Car company. Do something single purpose. The iPod was single purpose. It seems like in a way that was the last new device from Apple. The iPhone was, too, but then Apple made the Mac in the iPhone's image in so many ways that it reversed that trend of new products that are great on their own and not held back just to be semantically like the others (e.g., iWork crippled on the Mac so that it would be like iWork on the iPhone as one small example).

Edit: IF this doesn't make sense, in my defense, I am writing it as I am falling asleep.

Romeo_Nightfall

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2018
Vienna
Video streaming services, credit cards, cars . . .

How long can Apple keep being run as a big startup?

I think it's already long shown fault lines. Product categories and quality that languish I think in part because they generally operate like one school of fish all headed in the same direction rather than having clear departments.

For example, yes Intel chips run hot. But they didn't have to wait until the M1 to accommodate that. They let the Mac languish for years, while PC manufacturers made far cooler running computers with the same chips.

I know they're all about integration, but products actually worked pretty well together in the "old days" before everything Apple did had a common core OS and they aimed for feature parity across products, even at the cost of making some products worse. iPods didn't run any version of OS X and synced fine. In fact, iTunes worked well with third party devices. These days I can't properly connect an iPhone to a Mac to import photos, but I can on a Windows PC.

I remember before Apple products were less enmeshed across product categories, and it was actually easier using open standards to do a lot of things than it is today. I don't know how I did it but I remember back in 2001 beaming vCards between my iCloud and a friend's PC over Bluetooth. Now everything is about signing everything into iCloud and praying it works.

I think Apple is past the point that their structure should have become divergent, but maybe at last a car will push them to do that.

There will never be an Apple Computer company again, but maybe there can be an Apple Car company. Do something single purpose. The iPod was single purpose. It seems like in a way that was the last new device from Apple. The iPhone was, too, but then Apple made the Mac in the iPhone's image in so many ways that it reversed that trend of new products that are great on their own and not held back just to be semantically like the others (e.g., iWork crippled on the Mac so that it would be like iWork on the iPhone as one small example).

Edit: IF this doesn't make sense, in my defense, I am writing it as I am falling asleep.
It’s kinda confused written but i can decipher it and you are right.

Apple is just to big for what they are doing and their native approach of Evolution and chaining together services and devices which makes and made a lot of their success does work out less and less - and the whole chain of their evolution shows massive flaws already - as crippled software and lots of defective hw like AirPods and stuff.

A really wise leader would do what you said and cut not only cars out but imho cut out a whole new catergory like ar and position it against the old and dying macOS iOS iPadOS iPhone iPad eco-system.

Is Tim Hollywood that kinda guy - definitely not - he will corrupt and deteriorate the whole dna of apple more and more!

I can not see myself using things like iPad iPhone computers anymore - i want to transition to cars, ar and complete voice input.

This is not evolution but a new revolution - is Siri capable of that - i highly doubt.

But as always i am 20 years ahead - and everyone will „stone“ me for that statements.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
It’s kinda confused written but i can decipher it and you are right.

Apple is just to big for what they are doing and their native approach of Evolution and chaining together services and devices which makes and made a lot of their success does work out less and less - and the whole chain of their evolution shows massive flaws already - as crippled software and lots of defective hw like AirPods and stuff.

A really wise leader would do what you said and cut not only cars out but imho cut out a whole new catergory like ar and position it against the old and dying macOS iOS iPadOS iPhone iPad eco-system.

Is Tim Hollywood that kinda guy - definitely not - he will corrupt and deteriorate the whole dna of apple more and more!

I can not see myself using things like iPad iPhone computers anymore - i want to transition to cars, ar and complete voice input.

This is not evolution but a new revolution - is Siri capable of that - i highly doubt.

But as always i am 20 years ahead - and everyone will „stone“ me for that statements.
oh I’m sure you will be right. 🧐

But until those 20 years are achieved Apple will continue having record quarters across each existing product category even while introducing new ones.

Justanotherfanboy

Suspended
Jul 3, 2018
Nope - its for real now - but it will not be what many hoped for.

And i highly doubt apple is capable of making a real car from scratch like Tesla - its just not possible with their current headcount and strategy
Yeah. We all knew this years ago (if we were paying attention).
They hired a bunch of production guys, then got Bob Mansfield to do a feasibility study... after which they let the production guys go.

Cars as hardware = slim margins... pennies
Cars as subscription service = swimming pools full of that McDuck money

Reactions: Romeo_Nightfall

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
Mitsubishi?

The same Mitsubishi that committed fraud on safety recalls back in the early 2000’s such that the Japanese government stopped buying its vehicles, it’s top management resigned, one committed ritual suicide, and Daimler had to renegotiate its acquisition price of Mitsubishi severely downward? Same Mitsubishi that Daimler eventually gave away to the Mitsubishi Keiretsu to be recapitalized in late 2000’s? Same Mitsubishi that committed engine certification fraud while building contract cars for Nissan that the damages settlement ended up with Nissan owning Mitsubishi about 5 years ago? Same Mitsubishi that because of failing sales decided to abandon major global markets last year?

If Apple’s going to go with Mitsubishi, it better plan to cope with a company with a culture of cheating on safety, quality and hiding things.

Nissan? Same Nissan that was nearly bankrupt in the late 1990’s that only one car company took a chance to save them (it was Renault by buying 45% ownership for an effective 100% control). Same Nissan that after being nursed back to health and returned to greatness by Renault ungratefully embroiled itself in an unethical attempt to prevent a full merger by arranging for the arrest of the Renault Nissan CEO to derail said merger?

If Apple is looking for a partner in Nissan it better be prepared to deal with a management culture that is unethical and bites the hand that saves it and is prepared to wage strategic chicanery.

Mazda? Perhaps the best of the three Japanese companies named here. After being spun out of Ford Motor a decade ago, Mazda has managed to survive (its a stretch to save thrive) on brains, grit and a can-do spirit.

If Apple looks to Mazda, it may have to contend with a small manufacturer that may get weaker as the market shifts to electric drive. I believe Mazda has tech agreements with Toyota so that should help such a transition but Apple should be prepared to deal with a Mazda in the Toyota orbit with primary loyalties to Toyota.

Also as far as joint work with Japanese companies goes, Apple should be prepared to deal with a greater language barrier than in Europe , China or Korea (in my time in Japan I was surprised that a company so dependent on international trade had comparatively so few proficient English speakers.)

I think Kia is an interesting choice. Owned by Hyundai, from the mid 2000’s, it’s gone from being really sub-par on quality (one reason it was taken over by Hyundai amid falling sales) to a quality and satisfaction leader nowadays.

I’ve no direct experience with them so I can’t say what Apple might need to prepare for but Kia seems to have a culture that can change and improve in the same time as Mitsubishi and Nissan commit serial frauds and chicanery respectively against (as applicable) their partners, owners and regulators.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
Looks like it’s going to be assembled exactly like the iPhone and every other Apple product using multiple supply chain....but the heart and guts designed wholly by Apple
Successful business model that doesn’t vertically integrate that which is a commodity component or service.

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
I think you guys are looking too much into the “Apple is over reaching” mindset. iPhone was birthed from happenstance, as they stumbled upon the development of the iPad. They’re bringing something to the car/robotaxi space. It could be a service that makes the Uber/Lyft model seem outdated or unnecessary. It could be a service where people breathe a gasp of fresh air knowing they don’t spend a third of their pay into financing, maintaining and insuring a car.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.