Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Hyundai intends to transition the company's Apple Car involvement to its Kia brand as part of an internal arrangement that could see production move to the U.S., according to a new report today.

Apple-and-Hyundai-feature.jpg

On Sunday, Korea IT News reported that Apple and Hyundai are seeking a partnership agreement for the upcoming Apple Car by March, and that the electric vehicles could be made at a Georgia factory owned by Kia Motors, a Hyundai Motor Group affiliate.

First spotted by iMore, Korea's eDaily today added its own take on reports that Hyundai plans to hand off the project to Kia, which could see manufacturing take place at its Georgia plant. The following is a machine translation:
It is known that the Hyundai Motor Group, which received a proposal from Apple for electric vehicle-related cooperation, has internally arranged that Kia Motors is in charge of this project. If Kia decides to do this, the Apple car production base will be at Kia's Georgia plant in the US.
The report claims that discussions took place on Tuesday between Kia and its parent company about "Apple Car cooperation," and that following confirmation of the plan, the project could be carried out at Kia's West Point plant, which would "facilitate cooperation with Apple."

It goes on to say that despite reports that Hyundai is in pole position for Apple Car manufacturing, the Korean company has decided that it is "not suitable" for the Apple Car business because of its "strong will" to continue the Hyundai brand. In addition, it does not intend to become an "OEM factory" for Apple cars. The report concludes by stating that Hyundai "is still cautious" and that the move has not yet been decided.

Rumors that Apple is in negotiations with Hyundai first surfaced last week‌, suggesting that Apple is planning to work with the automaker to produce electric vehicles and develop batteries due to the high costs of the technology and the necessary production facilities.

Hyundai initially confirmed its electric vehicle discussions with Apple in a statement to CNBC, but the statement was revised hours later with no mention of Apple.

Reuters last month reported that ‌Apple Car‌ production may begin around 2024. However, a report from Bloomberg last week said that the ‌Apple Car‌ is "nowhere near production stage" and could be ready in around five to seven years.

Article Link: Apple Car Production Again Linked to Kia Motor's US Plant in Georgia

Reactions: Mike_Trivisonno

moabal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
Korean Car hate comments incoming....

In all seriousness. Kia/Hyundai/Genesis makes great cars now. If this is true, this would be great for both them and Apple. I like the idea of it potentially being built (at least somewhat) in the US!

Seriously though, go to your local Kia dealership and test out a Kia Stinger with the 3.3L V6. Your mind will be blown!

Last edited:

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
I last test drove a Kia SUV in 2015, but I hope Apple improves their quality. (Maybe they've done so by now.). The SUV didn't compare to a Lexus, let alone Mercedes, or even the Ford Explorer.

I'd definitely give it a try though.

Edit:

Since some people missed the point below - the rumor seems untrue anyway, but:

The point is that Apple is NOT a Kia class product. Kia is down market, known for their unreliability, poor build quality, and low price. Apple is the opposite (except sometimes unreliable until the x.x.1 version). Would I give an Apple/Kia car a test drive? Yes, because of the build quality of most of the Apple products from Macs to iPhones to iPads. One would hope that if this is true, Apple would require a Lexus/Mercedes/Porsche build quality from Kia before being affiliated with it.

Would I buy one that had a rattling doors and would rust in 2 years? No. Having an Apple Car with the build quality from Kia 6 years ago would tarnish the Apple brand and be a disaster. Doing otherwise would be like Apple going to Fero to build iPhone MTN Fero A4001 to run iOS on a $30 phone with a 1MP camera and plastic exterior that could survive a 1 inch drop but no more with Face ID taking 15 seconds to scan.

It should be noted that from what others in the thread have said, Kia has improved, which would be great. The more competition the better. I hope they have great build quality. I don't care about the brand, I care about it being reliable and safe.

Last edited:

wbeasley

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2007
next week, Samsung announce plans to have Hyundai build Galaxy electric cars.
after scoffing at Apple for doing so.

Samsung will rush a folding car to market... but it will have hinge issues from road dust they didnt have in test labs and a few battery fires due to super fast charger... each car will have a plastic laminated windscreen and only after a few people peel them off will it be revealed the coating was meant to stay in place. and you'll get free in ear noise cancelling pods which will no doubt add to driver inattention.

bobmans

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2020
It goes on to say that despite reports that Hyundai is in pole position for Apple Car manufacturing, the Korean company has decided that it is "not suitable" for the Apple Car business because of its "strong will" to continue the Hyundai brand. In addition, it does not intend to become an "OEM factory" for Apple cars. The report concludes by stating that Hyundai "is still cautious" and that the move has not yet been decided.
If anyone's going to be cautious I bet it will be Apple and not Hyundai/Kia. I don't think any car company in the world would say "no" to a car partnership with Apple, but I'm sure Apple won't go through with a possible partnership if there's even one thing that's not going according to their will. Apple knows car manufactureres/companies are basically lined up and that they have the upper hand here on how a possible partnership would go.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Seriously though, go to your local Kia dealership and test out a Kia Stinger with the 3.3L V6. Your mind will be blown!
Gas cars are already banned from operating in some areas, they’ll be banned from entire countries within 4 years, and from entire continents within 9 years.

Plus Apple likes to tout how “green” they are.

Experience building engines is deadweight for anyone who wants to be a car company in the 2020s, and especially for Apple in the back half of the decade.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
The problem with Hyundai/Kia is the price is a few thousand away from a Toyota, which won't break down all the time.
You're about 6 years behind the times (and even then are exaggerating unless you're talking about 15 - 20 year old cars). I'm not knocking Toyota (I own a Toyota and a Kia) but Kia and Hyundai have made huge improvements in reliability and quality over the past 10 years and certainly give Toyota a run for the money.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Not true. These are rumors. Every other week, there will be a new rumor involving a new manufacturer until they cycle through all of them. After 6 months, they will start with Hyundai again, then cycle through all the manufacturers once more to attrack more clicks.
Read my post again. I said, “if true...”

Mac Prodigy

Suspended
Jan 2, 2021
You're about 6 years behind the times (and even then are exaggerating unless you're talking about 15 - 20 year old cars). I'm not knocking Toyota (I own a Toyota and a Kia) but Kia and Hyundai have made huge improvements in reliability and quality over the past 10 years and certainly give Toyota a run for the money.
Yeah, they've really stepped up their game recently ?

"Hyundai recalls 471K more SUVs, tells owners to park outside". They are telling owners to park their vehicles outside :rolleyes: But please, tell us more. This shows you how much Hyundai paid JD Power to get on their list.

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008
Oh irony! The most premium consumer brand in the world seeks to partner with the most reviled and derided in North America car brand to make its most awaited in a decade product.

Kia has just announced a new rebranded logo to be used on its first EV (code named CV) based on the new dedicated platform, which will have 300 mile or higher battery range and will be released in 2021. The CV will be followed by 10 other Kia electric powertrain vehicles by 2025. So, I really don’t think Kia wants to become the OEM for Apple and lose its brand.

Looks like Apple will have to partner with LADA after all.

Last edited:

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
If anyone's going to be cautious I bet it will be Apple and not Hyundai/Kia. I don't think any car company in the world would say "no" to a car partnership with Apple,

I can think of a number that would if it meant releasing the car under Apple's brand and simply being an OEM. Car companies are pretty protective of their brand image; and building a car for Apple isn't part of their image. If Apple wanted to go to an OEM there's always Magna/Steyer.

Car companies may want to incorporate some of Apple's tech buts still make cars that reflect their image.
but I'm sure Apple won't go through with a possible partnership if there's even one thing that's not going according to their will.

That's the reason many car companies would not want to be partnered with Apple and risk their reputation on decisions made by Apple.

Apple knows car manufactureres/companies are basically lined up and that they have the upper hand here on how a possible partnership would go.

A doubt there are many lined up to be an OEM for Apple. Many of their customers would not want a car made by the same company that makes their iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.