Apple Card Begins Arriving to Customers, Wide Range of Credit Scores Reportedly Being Approved

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 9, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Following the Apple Card's rollout to a limited number of customers in the Wallet app earlier this week, some are beginning to receive their physical, titanium Apple Card in the mail for use at stores that do not accept contactless payments.

The Verge's Nilay Patel has shared photos of his Apple Card, revealing that it is thicker than his other metal and plastic credit cards. It was earlier reported that the Apple Card weighs around 14.75 grams, making it slightly heavier than the Chase Sapphire Reserve credit card but lighter than an American Express Platinum.

Another early adopter, Aaron Andino, has shared an Apple Card unboxing video on YouTube that provides a closer look at its packaging. The card and packaging look consistent with pre-launch photos that leaked.

The physical Apple Card, made out of titanium, features a clean design with an Apple logo, a chip, and a name. There's no card number or expiration date on the card, nor is there a CVV on the back. Instead, these details are stored in the Wallet app for added security in the event the card is lost or stolen.

The back of the Apple Card also has a minimalistic design with embossed Goldman Sachs and Mastercard logos and a magstripe. Goldman Sachs is the Apple Card's issuing bank, and it relies on the Mastercard payment network.

Read our step-by-step instructions on how to order a physical Apple Card by mail. The card ships free of charge and a notification is sent to your iPhone when it ships. The turnaround time appears to be a few days right now.

[​IMG]

Later this month, Apple will allow all U.S. residents age 18 or older to apply for the card. So far, it appears that Goldman Sachs is being quite lenient with approvals, as CNBC and iMore have reported that some customers with credit scores in the 600s have been approved, albeit with lower credit limits and higher APRs.

When fully available, iPhone users can apply for the Apple Card in the Wallet app within minutes and take advantage of features such as 1-3 percent in daily cash back, color-coded spending summaries, and no fees. Just ahead of launching, the card's APR range was lowered to 12.99-23.99 percent.

Article Link: Apple Card Begins Arriving to Customers, Wide Range of Credit Scores Reportedly Being Approved

2. ruslan120 macrumors 6502

ruslan120

Credit score of 760 nets me $6,500 credit limit and 17.99%.

This is my first card that gives me no international fees. Super excited!

3. BootsWalking macrumors 65816

Goldman probably figures if you can afford an iPhone you're probably a better credit risk than the average consumer, even if you have a middling credit score.

4. calzon65 macrumors 6502a

calzon65

Unlike some of the crazy Apple expansion rumors, I think this will be a success for Apple.

5. twocents macrumors regular

twocents

Got a $6,500 limit with 17.99 APR. Higher limit than I expected but perfect as my primary card for security, privacy, and dashboard of my transactions

6. BootsWalking macrumors 65816

An unboxing video of a credit card? I think we've reached Peak Consumerism.

7. M-Life macrumors 6502

M-Life

Anyone that hasn't received the invite yet should avoid this thread.

8. ruslan120 macrumors 6502

ruslan120

You could interpret that as "better for potentially charging interest." > : )

9. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

People are being seduced by the minimalism and Apple Wallet integration. There are much better cards out there from a rewards perspective). In terms of privacy and security you're not liable for any fraudulent charges with normal credit cards that have the number on them so....no real difference.

10. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

It is pretty funny, I watched it though.

11. BootsWalking macrumors 65816

This is odd - I just opened my Apple Card box and instead of a credit card there was a Vampire Squid inside.

12. ElectricPotato macrumors regular

ElectricPotato

13. konqerror macrumors 6502a

Also lower identity theft fraud risk by tying applications to a valuable piece of hardware, versus a form somebody filled on the Internet or found in the mail.

This is why traditionally cards start with a low limit and after a few months of successful payments, kick it up. ID fraudsters instead rack as many charges as they can then abandon the card.

14. Kaibelf Suspended

Kaibelf

Depends. What are the rewards and are they actually used? For example, who cares if you get a ton of miles if you don't actually take them, and if you instead cash them in for Amazon credits at a tiny fraction? And who cares about 4-5% cash back when it's a rotating category?

15. timber, Aug 9, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2019

timber macrumors 6502a

We also found out that those scales besides chemistry classes and drug dealing (or both if your name is Walter) can also be used for other things.

16. vipergts2207 macrumors 68020

vipergts2207

Seriously, in the end it's just a middling to decent credit card. It's not even the best and has a gimmicky feature here and there. And again, it's just a credit card. Peak consumerism indeed.

17. mikethemartian macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know how well it works as a putty knife?

18. LS3 POWER macrumors 65816

LS3 POWER

My card is shipping today, 816 Transunion Score, a $7500 Limit at 17.99%

19. emmab2006 macrumors regular

Why you would trust your Finances to Apple is Crazy. who knows what they can pull.

20. klunernet macrumors member

klunernet

I doubt Europe will get this card then. Both the cash back and APR lowest percentage is illegal here.

21. BlendedFrog macrumors regular

I'd like to thank all those people on Twitter that are posting pictures of their new CC with their actual names. While it doesn't show the CC number, it does show that it is a mastercard and their name. It's just asking for fraud and identity theft. What idiots.

22. rpat701 macrumors regular

I still am at a lost as to why someone would get this above a cash back card from capital one.

23. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

Oh I would trust my finances with Apple over any bank. But the billing is processed through Goldman Sachs.

24. konqerror macrumors 6502a

Why would you assume those parameters would remain unchanged over different countries? HSBC, Barclays, Rabobank, American Express, etc. have cards in US and Europe with very different policies.

25. mattyj2001 macrumors member

mattyj2001

"Not liable" is not the same as "more secure".

I wouldn't get/keep a card from an entirely unsecure issuer (Capital One) just because I'm not liable. Identity theft is still a nightmare, even when you're 'not liable'.