Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Bloomberg Businessweek sent an Apple Card to University of California, Berkeley professor and mineralogist Hans-Rudolf Wenk to determine the card's atomic makeup. The answer: 90% titanium and 10% aluminum.

apple-card-front-back.jpg

From the report:
But how much titanium? To find out, a Bloomberg Businessweek reporter sent his card to a mineralogist, University of California, Berkeley professor Hans-Rudolf Wenk. Professor Wenk used what's known as a scanning electron microscope, or SEM device, to determine the card's atomic makeup. He found that the answer is about 90%. The rest of the card is aluminum, according to the analysis.
Apple previously said the card's white finish is achieved through a "multi-layer coating process" that is added to the titanium base material. In a recent support document, Apple said if the card comes into contact with hard surfaces or materials, it is possible that the coating can be damaged.

Apple also said some fabrics, like leather and denim, might cause permanent discoloration on the card that will not wash off.

Article Link: Apple Card Found to Contain 90% Titanium and 10% Aluminum

Reactions: 4sallypat

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
After determining the card's atomic makeup, the professor informed the Bloomberg reporter that he was going on an extended overseas vacation, and that he would return the Apple Card to the reporter "if I come, er, I mean, when I come back." :D

tito2020

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2011

Bloomberg Businessweek sent an Apple Card to University of California, Berkeley professor and mineralogist Hans-Rudolf Wenk to determine the card's atomic makeup. The answer: 90% titanium and 10% aluminum.

apple-card-front-back.jpg

From the report:Apple previously said the card's white finish is achieved through a "multi-layer coating process" that is added to the titanium base material. In a recent support document, Apple said if the card comes into contact with hard surfaces or materials, it is possible that the coating can be damaged.

Apple also said some fabrics, like leather and denim, might cause permanent discoloration on the card that will not wash off.

Article Link: Apple Card Found to Contain 90% Titanium and 10% Aluminum
Now they can pick doors with it

Reactions: jjhny

Nuno Lopes

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
Lisbon, Portugal
This kind of “innovation” is actually what gives a bad rep to people that actually like and care for their Apple products.

Innovation would be if they actually went the other way. Instead of producing a card so susceptible to wear and tear, they produced something that was wear and tear proof as much as possible.

Anyway, I almost don’t take cards anyway, soon hopefully will be none.

Just my too cents.

Reactions: LordVic

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
It’s most likely 6AL4V titanium alloy. Commercially pure titanium is soft and would bend very easily. Almost all things that are said to be titanium are titanium alloys with other things mixed in. There was probably vanadium in there as well.

This. As someone in an industry that revolves around titanium, "common" titanium contains aluminum and vanadium. 6al4v as you referred to. Almost anything made of "titanium" has this makeup. 6% up to sometimes 10% aluminum. This is not news at all.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
I’m surprised folks aren’t stripping off the paint, and putting different surface treatments on the metal.

There’s lots that can be done with color, machine turning, buffing, etc.

Both the chip and mag strip could be masked to protect their functionality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.