Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
I hate it when marketing creates the second class customer - i.e. their current customers. There is no such thing as a second class customer as their money is first class, but marketing can't comprehend that. Make it available to everyone, as without exception, if you accept our money, we are all first class!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: freedomlinux

Oberhorst

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2010
Stockholm
Include Apple stores and I'll get one for everyone in my family! You hardly buy any software these days, it's all subscriptions anyway. But that's probably exactly the reason why they try to push sales with this offer.

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
I don't like this. Apple should never offer discounts on anything. It's not part of their brand identity.

Thats a strange take, but okay...

Regardless, they aren't offering a discount on anything. They are offering cash back via a credit card, when used to purchase from them.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
I agree that Apple could do more to make the card even more attractive, but the card is already attractive to us as is.

I used to carry 5-6 cards cause I was all about the cashback and trying to maximize it, but it was really difficult to manage it all, especially when trying to explain all the different caveats to wife. The biggest pain point was the quarterly bonuses and telling my wife how to shift all paying habits to a different card! I will never subject myself and my wife to that chaos!

I want simplicity and Apple Card, together with our Cosco Visa card offers excellent cashback across all purchases that we do. Both cards are free of foreign transaction fees, so we never have to worry about ordering something random online and getting hit with those fees.

We use Costco Visa exclusively for the following:
gas - 4% cashback
restaurants - 3% cashback
travel / air fare - 3% cashback
costco warehouse/online - 2% cashback

We dont use costco for any purchases that net 1% cashback, instead we use Apple Card via Apple Pay. The only occasional time we get 1% is for some rare Amazon.com purchases, home improvement stores (which that got just remediated cause Menards started to take Apple Pay). The only other place that we get 1% cash back is our town website for paying water- we do that each quarter. Overall, 99% of our transactions in a month net us 2% cash back or more, and that is with zero effort on our part, no scrambling to figure what card to use at the check-out, etc. For us, for such ease of use, that is a small price to pay.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
...you gotta be kidding me. Why isn't this offer for existing customers too?

I'm starting to get angry with Apple Card as of late. With how piss the rewards have been combined with the rumors they're moving to American Express, I'm honestly thinking of just ditching it and getting a Chase card instead.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
There is really not much benefit to this card outside of Apple Stores. Its even horrible for everyday purchases like a flight ticket or groceries.

but the benefits for Apple Store purchases alone are worth having the card.

Alan Wynn

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2017
And that’s the other I forgot about, the Mac Apps. I don’t do much design anymore, they’re charging for an update? Interesting. My work pays for Creative Cloud so I just make due because it’s free.
They have both Mac and iOS/iPadOS versions. Their model is that minor updates are free, major updates have a cost. That means that version 1 lasted several years and one can still use it, but will no longer get updates. Always felt like a fair model I get to use what I bought forever, but they still have an incentive to keep it running and do updates.

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
I wish they offered this to existing members, or some better cash back on things other than Nike

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
The Apple Card as it stands is a good general card...no late fees, no foreign fees, no annual fee, daily apple cash that can be instantly put into your savings. but everything else is really lame. nothing about purchase protection, no included AppleCare on X purchases, nothing incentivizing hardcore usage.

For example you can get an AmEx HYSA with 4% compounded daily, paid monthly, you can get one of their Personal or Business (as sole proprietor) Blue cards for 1-6% cash back, dump it into savings and have a similar ecosystem. If you have an AmEx card, open an AmEx checking account and get ~1% or 1.5% interest 🤷‍♂️

perhaps if they do move to a financial network such as AmEx, they might be able to offer some better incentives on the AppleCard.

I'd like to see some incentives like AppleCare+ included for certain items or over a certain amount or if you've purchased X amount of things through apple, Apple subscriptions included like iCloud+, Fitness+, AppleTV+
better than 14 day returns on apple products purchased. promotional periods for apple purchases..and that's just inside the ecosystem.

it'd be great to have purchase protection, rental car incentives, airline incentives, hotel & restore incentives...and for the luxury brands that apple is trying to be on par with, some sort of discount or credit to those.

this too, my credit score is near perfect, I had a few credit line increases with Apple/GS the first were very minor, but now it increased by 20K. its a nice everyday card and easy to see transactions immediately (but I noticed my AmEx cards do this now too, as long as their in Wallet).

GS just doesn't understand consumer banking I think, im not sure if their system properly measures parameters meant for consumers vs business or other factors. I've seen people that have **** credit scores get high credit limits and those with great to perfect get denied all together for the card. like what??

what kind of AmEx card does she use?

Has had various AMEX cards (platinum and gold) over 30 years at different times for different purposes. Last few years just a simple SkyMiles blue as it has most AMEX card features like supplemental insurance, good miles rewards and no annual fee.

Costco for most things.
Apple for non Costco groceries or Apple Pay purchases.
AMEX for big ticket items like new Mac that benefit from warranty extension.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
I had hoped companies had gotten the message about this. AT&T has even used it in marketing lately. If even AT&T thinks there is money to be made by giving existing customers incentives (and that is the only reason they would do it) maybe Apple should too.
AT&T has stiff competition from other carriers so they have to retain customers as it's their only business. I don't really see Apple as competing against anyone else including banks here. Apple Pay is kind of like Apple TV+ and a few other services. It's a loss leader so they don't make much money from it. And there are no other tech companies offering a credit card and savings account. All banks offer a terrible customer experience which is why they are forced to sweeten the incentives so customers don't walk across the street to a competing bank. I don't see anyone leaving Apple Card just to get an extra 1% cashback or some buyer protection from a lousy bank.

tooloud10

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2012
FYI I have had an Apple Card for a year or so and received a notification on my iPhone that I am eligible for the 10% cash back until 7/25. I made a few purchases and it confirmed the 10% within seconds on every transaction.

Reactions: Sorinut

Seeds

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2023
larry-david-unsure.gif

On the one hand...10% is nice.

On the other hand...it's just software.

Apple needs to start competing on benefits and discounts like chase or the other cards.
In my experience they are. My chase card is 5 percent cash back on specific things and only if I activate it each month.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I agree that Apple could do more to make the card even more attractive, but the card is already attractive to us as is.

I used to carry 5-6 cards cause I was all about the cashback and trying to maximize it, but it was really difficult to manage it all, especially when trying to explain all the different caveats to wife. The biggest pain point was the quarterly bonuses and telling my wife how to shift all paying habits to a different card! I will never subject myself and my wife to that chaos!

I want simplicity and Apple Card, together with our Cosco Visa card offers excellent cashback across all purchases that we do. Both cards are free of foreign transaction fees, so we never have to worry about ordering something random online and getting hit with those fees.

We use Costco Visa exclusively for the following:
gas - 4% cashback
restaurants - 3% cashback
travel / air fare - 3% cashback
costco warehouse/online - 2% cashback

We dont use costco for any purchases that net 1% cashback, instead we use Apple Card via Apple Pay. The only occasional time we get 1% is for some rare Amazon.com purchases, home improvement stores (which that got just remediated cause Menards started to take Apple Pay). The only other place that we get 1% cash back is our town website for paying water- we do that each quarter. Overall, 99% of our transactions in a month net us 2% cash back or more, and that is with zero effort on our part, no scrambling to figure what card to use at the check-out, etc. For us, for such ease of use, that is a small price to pay.
I have six credit cards and one debit card. for me, it’s pretty simple. I know on the fly which card I should/need to use and it is also based on the time of month.

I can’t see myself with more than six though. 2 Chase. 2 AMEX. 1 Capital One. 1 Apple Card.

I’ll add myself as an authorized user on my partners CapOne once his balance is lower lol.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
30k credit limit, $0 balance and never paid interest on this card. Got a $500 limit increase this week. Makes zero sense.

It makes perfect sense, to the people lending the money. Credit is given to those who need it least, and is most expensive for those with no money. That's the entire basis of credit scores.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.