Apple Card Rolling Out Today to Limited Number of Customers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 6, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple Card got its first group of public test users today. A limited number of customers who signed up on Apple's website to be notified about the release of Apple Card are now able to apply for the card in their Wallet app as well as order a physical Apple Card (via TechCrunch).

Sign-up invites for Apple Card Preview are going out to a random selection of people who signed up to be notified about Apple Card. Apple hasn't disclosed exactly how many people are part of its preview rollout, but a full rollout of Apple Card is expected later this month.

The Apple Card signup process on iPhone asks for your address, birthday, income level, and the last four digits of your Social Security number. This information is sent to Goldman Sachs, which approves or declines the application in less than a minute. Once the card is approved it shows up immediately in the Wallet app.

TechCrunch's Matthew Panzarino, who has been using Apple Card for a few days, called the card's app interface "multiples better to use than most card apps," thanks to spending categories and clear transaction names (including logos in some cases).
    The Verge's Nilay Patel also received a physical titanium card early and had this to say about it.
    Apple Card is limited to the United States at the current time, but may expand to additional countries in the near future. Apple is already in talks with European regulators, and has trademarked Apple Card in Europe, Hong Kong, and Canada.

Apple Card is a no fee credit card. There are no annual fees, international fees, fees for making a late payment, or fees for exceeding your credit limit, which means there are no penalty rates for missing a payment.

As part of its Apple Card Preview, Apple has also shared a series of videos via its YouTube channel explaining how to set up and use Apple Card on iPhone.

Apple CEO Tim Cook said last Tuesday that the Apple Card will launch in August, so the full rollout could be coming any day now. Goldman Sachs last week made its Customer Agreement available providing more detail on the Apple Card. For questions about how everything will work, make sure to check out our Apple Card guide.

Article Link: Apple Card Rolling Out Today to Limited Number of Customers

2. backslash-f macrumors newbie

backslash-f

Nice. Hopefully it won’t take that long for Germany to support it.

3. Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

Hopefully it will come to the U.K at some point, when i travel to the U.S it would be nice to have a card that doesn't charge international fees.

4. newtestleper macrumors 6502a

Yep, hopefully it will be available in [country] soon.

5. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

It’s a Credit Card. Trust me, Apple and the banks want one in as many hands as possible.

6. pojo1806 macrumors 68020

pojo1806

Fingers crossed this comes to the UK by the end of the year.

7. nathan_reilly macrumors member

nathan_reilly

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why is everyone so excited about a credit card? I don't get it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

9. dan9700 macrumors 68030

dan9700

I think people just think it’s a new Apple product haha it’s a credit card not exciting I never use a credit card anyways cos I have money in my debit card people have got a bit to excited for it, Apple is happy people will use it more
    --- Post Merged, Aug 6, 2019 ---
    Exactly people get to hyped
    --- Post Merged, Aug 6, 2019 ---
    No chance in the uk we don’t have Apple Cash yet, the uk banks won’t agree to it for a few years at least

10. SoundJudgment macrumors regular

SoundJudgment

"""I got to hold the card itself and it is very nice, although it is fairly thick and felt a little bit heavier than the typical metal credit card.""

Hmmmm... I wonder what a 'typical' metal credit card must feel like?

11. Robert.Walter, Aug 6, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2019

Robert.Walter macrumors 68000

Robert.Walter

Thinner.

12. lyngo macrumors 6502a

Insert “the card is not thin enough” joke here.

In all seriousness, the Amazon credit card is metal. I like it because it doesn’t wear down as much with time like my debit card and gift cards.

13. az431 macrumors 65816

az431

Amazon credit card is not metal.

14. SuprPwrUsr macrumors newbie

SuprPwrUsr

Oh but it is.

15. millerj123 macrumors 68000

My Prime card is.

16. lyngo macrumors 6502a

My prime one is.

17. brgjoe macrumors regular

brgjoe

I assume there will be directions for this.

But, how do you request the physical card? I read somewhere that it will show up in your Wallet app, but you have to ask for the physical card to be sent to you.

Yeah, yeah, I know...it's just a credit card. :p

18. phillytim macrumors 65816

phillytim

Pass. There is no compelling reason for me to bite on the :apple:Card, as my Citi DoubleCash card (which is a MasterCard WorldElite card) gives me 2% cash back for *everything*.

19. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

There are two Amazon credit cards. The Amazon Prime Card is definitely metal (I own one), the non-Prime Card is not.

Here is a list of all the metal credit cards currently offered.

20. BarrettF77 macrumors 6502

BarrettF77

Who here has actually received an invite is the question?

21. peterh988 macrumors 6502a

One thing I'm still unsure about, does this card offer virtual disposable numbers or not?

22. BarrettF77 macrumors 6502

BarrettF77

The videos show you can get the card number in the app but don’t think it’s like en-email with disposable features.

23. mattster16 macrumors 6502a

I guess the only compelling reason would be the interface and the fact that your 2% cash back is available to spend instantly in Apple Pay.

24. JohnApples, Aug 6, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2019

JohnApples macrumors 65816

"Why is everyone so excited about a credit card?" asks the MacRumors user.

When you break it down, it's not that hard to see why.

First and foremost, it's a new Apple product- and remember which site you're on. We're some of the most diehard Apple fans here, and anything new from Apple is guaranteed to generate buzz and excitement.

The way Apple has marketed the card also has an aura of "fun" about it. Take a look at the page on Apple.com and see how it breaks down using an Apple card and analyzing your finances. They advertise it just like they would an iPhone or iPad. Say what you will about the card, but they did give it that "Apple feel".

The security and convenience of this thing is also a big plus. Apple is known for simplifying complex things so that you don't really have to think about it, and even the least tech-savvy users can enjoy it. That's no different here. Everything is built right into the iPhone, you've got color-coordinated spending charts, transactions spelled out clearly instead of those confusing statement codes, exact locations of where the card was used right in Maps, and that little wheel that lets you choose how much you pay and tells you exactly how much interest, if any, will be owed. It's extremely user-friendly, and people trust Apple. For some, I'm sure getting a credit card from Apple 'feels better' than getting one from a bank or directly from a CC company.

If you're an avid Apple shopper or Apple Pay user, the rewards also make sense. It's got 1% cashback on everything which is pretty standard, but doubling that for Apple Pay uses is a huge plus- especially now that NFC terminals are finally prevalent here in the US. This is big for me personally because I now use Apple Pay at over 90% of the places I shop. For me, the 2% cash-back will essentially be standard which is already a bigger gain than my current cards. Then you factor in the 3% when you shop with Apple directly. This is also huge for some because again, we're Apple diehards and already shop quite a bit with them. Plus, it applies to iTunes, the App Store, and in-app purchases. I have a Discover card which offered 5% cashback at Apple.com... but iPhones, iPads, Macs, Beats headphones... just about anything that wasn't a simple accessory- was excluded. There may be better reward cards out there but for a lot of us, this combined with the "instant" cashback is a huge deal.

And lastly, the titanium card is a pretty appealing part of the deal too. Sure, it's gimmicky, but seeing as how metal cards are fairly rare, (apparently I’m in the minority as people keep pointing out how common metal credit cards are. But I digress) this is just one more way to make the Apple Card feel unique and have that Apple-premium quality to it.

25. PTVMan macrumors 6502a

Why do you care if people are excited? If you are so vexed why are you posting in this forum?