Apple Card Rolling Out Today to Limited Number of Customers

newyorksole

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Why do you care if people are excited? If you are so vexed why are you posting in this forum?
Yooo listen. These Apple Card threads are filled with people that “don’t care” and think it’s “stupid” lmaooo it blows my mind. It really does.
[doublepost=1565096425][/doublepost]
But how much Apple stuff do we typical consumers buy, really, to make an occasional 3% worthwhile of opening & managing another card?
What if someone only has 1 credit card? Is adding the Apple Card really going to have a dramatic negative effect?

I’m genuinely curious why some of you are so against the card and why you can’t fathom why someone would want one? Even if it’s just “because it’s Apple” whoooo caressss.

Let people live their lives. Holyyyy s***.

ozziegn

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2007
Central FL Area
My credit score is over 800 and I still can't justify ditching my Citi, 3% cash back card for this pretty Apple card.

Trust me, I'm a 100% Apple loyalist but I still need to have some sort of justification in terms of a particular Apple product. This Apple credit card gives me zero justification.

Reactions: millerj123

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2015
It's funny, since this story broke not one person has said they have gotten an invite. If this was actually live we would have some saying something.

This might be like the Airpower, lol... Too many charges in close proximity and it overheated the device and caused it to shut off.

PickUrPoison

Suspended
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
My credit score is over 800 and I still can't justify ditching my Citi, 3% cash back card for this pretty Apple card.

Trust me, I'm a 100% Apple loyalist but I still need to have some sort of justification in terms of a particular Apple product. This Apple credit card gives me zero justification.
Which Citi is 3%? Also, you wouldn’t want to ditch your Citi, closing it could hurt your credit score. And for some, the security and privacy is the only justification they need. But really there’s no requirement for you to apply; if you don’t want it, don’t get it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ipponrg

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2008
But :apple:Card has only 1% on most items.

But how much Apple stuff do we typical consumers buy, really, to make an occasional Apple 2-3% worthwhile of opening & managing another card?
It’s really not that hard to manage if you use it exclusively for Apple store purchases and maybe Apple Pay for very specific use cases. Both cases don’t require you to carry the card

What could work is you can get friends and family Apple discounts plus the 3%. That’s my plan at the moment

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2015
It’s really not that hard to manage if you use it exclusively for Apple store purchases and maybe Apple Pay for very specific use cases. Both cases don’t require you to carry the card

What could work is you can get friends and family Apple discounts plus the 3%. That’s my plan at the moment
I won't use this card for even my own Apple purchases since it has no warranty extension coverage built in. For an extra year at no cost seems a no brainer TBH. Even for the 3% cash back. It's only a % less than my current card to the return isn't that great.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
I won't use this card for even my own Apple purchases since it has no warranty extension coverage built in. For an extra year at no cost seems a no brainer TBH. Even for the 3% cash back. It's only a % less than my current card to the return isn't that great.
Can you link to something verifying no supplemental coverage? I’ve seen this claim a few times but nobody’s backed it up yet. Goldman’s T&C points to MC for supplemental coverage.

Last edited by a moderator:

blueracer

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2010
Sunnyside, New York
One thing I'm still unsure about, does this card offer virtual disposable numbers or not?
according to the articles, yes, you can create a credit card number use it once and dispose of it. at the moment, i didn't see a video on Apple's youtube channel yet on how to do that, but supposedly you can.

Has anyone here gotten an invite yet? I did sign up to be notified when it comes live, but i haven't gotten any notification as of yet for me to apply. i hope soon.
[doublepost=1565098355][/doublepost]
I guess the only compelling reason would be the interface and the fact that your 2% cash back is available to spend instantly in Apple Pay.
and the fact that there is no late payment fees, or foreign transaction fees.

Reactions: the johnmc

Abazigal

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Right now, the key argument seems to be in pitting the rewards from Apple Card against other existing cards. While this would be one factor, it seems foolhardy to make this the only determining factor.

In a way, it kinda reminds me of how so many people here were dismissing the AirPods based on sound quality alone, while it would proceed to take off thanks to other benefits such as form factor and ease of use. In the end, the one factor most people thought should have been the key driving factor in what made or broke a pair of headphones turned out to not be so important after all. Meanwhile, the factors they so casually dismissed (like the design) would go on to be the key reason why the AirPods are selling like hotcakes.

Who is to say that there won't be people willing to give up a little bit of monetary benefit in exchange for the other benefits of the Apple Card, from the improved UI to a more flexible cash-back policy to the emotional appeal of being all-in on the Apple ecosystem? I can't distill the value of using an Apple-backed credit card for a die-hard Apple fan into a numerical value the same way I do a cost-benefit analysis of the rewards that one credit card offers vs another, but that doesn't mean that there isn't any (value).

And if I decide that I value this intangible benefit over an additional 1 or 2% cash back, who is to say that I am wrong?

To each their own, and I do say this again - one underestimates Apple to their own detriment.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
I'm really curious to see how Apple will handle this in Belgium/Europe.
In some markets, like Switzerland, also formerly UK and Australia, still somewhat DE and AT, the banking cartels have conspired to block Apple Pay. This card is as much an end run around that collusion as it is the point of a slow entry into consumer banking in those markets by Goldman Sachs. LoL, the Kartells while soaking customers on annual fees, and fees for using, tried to keep Apple from getting a 0.15% fee for Apple Pay, and build up their own clunky systems, that in the end they will be disrupted by a new entrant into their finance markets. Serves them right, and the customers will be better served.

Reactions: BlankStar

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2015
I posted elsewhere a small overview of my comparative thoughts on cards in those places.
[doublepost=1565097757][/doublepost]
Can you link to something verifying no supplemental coverage? I’ve seen this claim a few times but nobody’s backed it up yet. Goldman’s T&C points to MC for supplemental coverage.[/QUOTE]

I've looked and haven't found anything indicating they do provide the warranty coverage. So it's not a burden of proof that it doesn't have it, but rather if it does... I'll ask the customer support person in the app like Apple shows once you have it running and can verify, plus I'm sure they are req'd to send you the standard mailing or emailing upon approval.

And still, no 0% apr is kinda a downer. Will be interested to see how this goes. I'm guessing this'll be like the original iPhone with Cingular. It then worked its way to others later on. I don't expect this to be exclusive long term in what the card can do, maybe for a year or so. Apple is just trying to get their system up and used by more in order to sell hardware and services that accompany that hardware. This aids that process.

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2015
First person to get the invite email and post true confirmation here gets 50 likes.
Unicorn!

Also, you can use with things like amazon by going into the app and holding down to copy the card number and paste into the other app. The tutorial videos on apple's site show this.

Reactions: NetMage

udflyer

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2011
Anyone know which bureau they pull from (I will need to unlock before apply assuming I eve get an invite)

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Do you get any type of points or rewards? That's a huge selling feature of other credit cards. My Amazon prime card is awesome in this regard as I get $50 a month or so to spend just for using it. Since I pay it off every month I don't pay any fees or interest at all anyway.

Apple might have a much nicer app or interface, but the other credit cards will copy that in a heartbeat.

ericgtr12

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2015
"I got to hold the card itself and it is very nice, although it is fairly thick and felt a little bit heavier than the typical metal credit card. You can use the card without your phone nearby like any other card, but it doesn't support contactless payments -- Apple obviously wants you to use your phone or watch for that."
I guess I'm trying to see the point of this, other than the "tech" factor of the card itself it's a step back, reaching for your wallet to make a purchase. I'll stick with my Visa and Apple Watch.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
So how do you use this card online (from a computer not iPhone) at somewhere the doesn't accept Apple Pay... like Amazon?
I believe you use the wallet app on your phone to generate a "one time" credit card number. Refunds could be a bit of a hassle.