apple care? can details and worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shyam09, Nov 1, 2010.

1. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

okay so im planning to buy an ipad, and two MBP the total price is about 3000+? this is without the apple care for each system. so can anyone describe what apple care is and if its really worth it? i know warranties are important, but i have never bought a warranty (im a PC user switching to Apple).
    the exception was my first "real PC" that i bought from HP.com (brand new but horrid configurations) with a warranty attached. i never used the warranty once, because by the time my computer got messed up the warranty was done and i got a new one. the bad thing was that after i bought my computer, i realized the problem but my parents already threw it out haha.

so back to the main point. is it necessary to buy it. im just curious because my dad might say no to it and all (he is paying for it)

thank you!

2. jdaniel macrumors 65816

not worth it if u buy it full price, I bought mine on ebay just look for proper sellers.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4. shyam09 thread starter macrumors 68000

shyam09

so i was reading on the other threads that you can purchase apple care before the one-year warranty ends. so can i buy the MBP now, and then in 6 months buy it?

also what does apple's normal one-year warranty cover?
    thanks

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

6. jdaniel macrumors 65816

read the links above. applecare is just an extension of the normal 1 year warranty, plus phone tech support for the duration of applecare.

7. Resist macrumors 68030

An extended warranty is rarely ever worth it, because the odds are you will never have to use it. That's one reason why manufactures offer them. Don't be fooled by "peace of mind" and "cheap insurance" comments.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That is only one opinion. For many MBP owners, AppleCare is well worth it. It's not just the peace of mind. There is also an extension of telephone support (which many find helpful) from 90 days to 3 years. It also extends the coverage for defective batteries, which many have found pays for the cost of AppleCare. There is no definitive answer to "Is AppleCare worth it?" The real question is "Is AppleCare worth it to YOU?", for which there will be many varied opinions.

9. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

//shrug

If your mbp sits in a closet and barely sees any action for three years, then it probably won't be worth it.

If you actually use your machine vigerously and/or use it to make cash then the lines become a little blurrier.

It doesn't help that people will wait for issues to accumulate before bringing/sending their machine in ("My CD drive is dead, my Screen is only halfway working, some of the kys n y kybrd dn't wrk, and my battery doesn't hold a charge. It's been like this for several months. Should I bring it in? I have AppleCare.")

Bring in your machine for any and every anomaly that your Machine exhibits for which repair is needed. After three seperate documented repairs, petition for a replacement. Too easy.

10. Resist macrumors 68030

True support is great, but I have found more support by just using this forum and it's free. As far as defective battery coverage, you would be surprised to know that Apple routinely covers issues out of warranty for free.

11. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

can you recomend one?