Apple Ceases Development of 'AirPort' Wireless Routers as Engineers Reassigned to Other Products

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 21, 2016.

1. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

I am quite sure it would be possible for Apple to have made a WiFi router that was easy to set up, offered some information to guide the user and even mention in more detail certain types of issues and possible ways to resolve them. Apple chose NOT to do this. What I really enjoy about all this is that Apple in the days of Apples vs IBM PC, was designed with ability to network out of the box while IBM PC was NOT. Apple in this, led the way and now finds itself becoming just another company rather than the creator of a "living style" through technology. I have never made claim before in any area with respect to Apple that I could do a better job on an Apple device than Apple but certainly here I feel more than confident. Apple simply is going a very different direction and the "eco" system was already fractured and now a gaping hole to come. There is an entire area where "vision" would be in order with respect to "connectivity" in the home from typical Apple devices to home controls etc. Apple seems to have little vision here and is lagging behind other companies and this is a perfect indicator of Apple's desire to make its profit and continue to lose its long term customer fan base in favour of the newer unsuspecting buyer who has no measure of how mediocre Apple has become.

2. theelysium macrumors 6502a

theelysium

Best when it comes to usability and setup. Find another compnay a simplton can created an extened netwok or a roaming network with ease. Hardware is still decent.

3. RumorConsumer macrumors member

RumorConsumer

https://eero.com

4. Badrottie macrumors 601

Badrottie

Google and Amazon killed Apple routers that's the big reasons.

5. Martyimac macrumors 6502

Martyimac

And another one new to the market is the linsys velop http://www.linksys.com/us/velop/

6. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

The new WiFi that offers more coverage, perhaps NAS capabilities and the like were all a part of Apple's history with the Airport Extreme, TimeCapsule and Airport Express. There was nothing to stop Apple from advancing in this area and incorporating more "APPLE" in the mix with Siri type unit, mesh or extenders that did other chores. Apple simply chose not to do it and the niche worked well for others and is the on going trend by several makers. Really amusing is that this is Apple's "wheel house" way before all these other players came to be and yet, Apple summarily dismisses itself. All rather amusing.

7. goobot macrumors 601

goobot

It's Tim Cook focusing only on iPhone. It beyond apparent on their entire line up. The MacBook Pro took twice as long to update and the rest of the Mac line is in even worse shape. The iPad's ui is just blown up iPhone ui. Control center is the obvious indication of this. Mac OS is basically receiving updates that only expands iCloud compatibility with iPhone. The only new product they have released is the Apple Watch and AirPods which are completely dependent on the iPhone. Tim is putting all the focus on iPhone to increase short term profits.

8. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

I truly appreciate your words here. I'll just say Apple is sure playing a game I fail to fully appreciate. The iPhone is now in an arena shared by power houses as well and for lower cost smart phones, Apple lost out completely. I guess my only point is I would hope Apple will not put all its serious "eggs" in one basket. If ever there was a time when Apple could have pulled off a really cool "Apple eco system" it is now. Instead its adios to routers, certain software, and more... but hey we now know that when Apple gets puggy over "thin" they also mean the number of types of devices they are willing to truly advance.

9. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

I read good things about this one. Google for a review in case you care.

10. lysingur macrumors regular

lysingur

11. Martyimac macrumors 6502

Martyimac

My undersstanding of Airplay, and I am no expert, is that Airplay is an apple centric feature on devices and not limited to Airport routers. My research consistently says "over wifi" and NEVER states you must use Apple routers. Many just say your devices must be connected to the "same wifi network".
    Hope that helps.

12. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

You are correct. The only thing you lose is some of the wifi extending features you get with the Airport Express. While Airplay is "Apple Centric", it is built into tons of third party products. The only thing that would worry me is if Apple decided to kill Airplay in iOS. I doubt that will happen since Airplay is built into the AppleTV, but you never know what Apple will abandon next to make room for "future technologies".

I bought two receivers last year. One from Onkyo and the other from Denon at different price points, but both of them had Airplay as a feature. I also have a Yamaha pre-amp/media streamer and it also has Airplay. All three are brand new to the market in 2016, so at least we still see a vibrant Airplay ecosystem, even if Apple stops making the Airport Express.

13. wxman2003 Suspended

Apple is becoming a one trick pony company. They will live or die with the iPhone. They have abandoned the iMac, TC, and even ATV.

14. aristobrat macrumors G4

There's nothing Apple could have done with the iMac, TC and even ATV to cause those segments to generate revenue that even begins to compare with the iPhone, IMO.

15. cuestakid macrumors 68000

in 5 years all they will sell is the iPhone not because they don't care but because phone/tablet capabilities will finally exceed notebooks. Desktops of all kinds will also simply cease

16. Martyimac macrumors 6502

Martyimac

I hope you are wrong. As a senior, I find using a tablet to be challenging and unsatisfying. Maybe it's because it's not what I am used to but in addition to that, I always default to my desktop when I want to do anything other than just minor web surfing.

17. Digital Dude macrumors 6502

Digital Dude

Arizona where freedom still means something
    Amusing, I don't think so. After 35-years of being an Apple consumer, I'm now looking elsewhere for tech that's more advanced and seamless. I think Microsoft will exceed Apple within 2-years IF they continue with their 'surface' line strategy. Heck, if I were purchasing a desktop today it would be the 'Surface Studio' hands-down! Unfortunately, Microsoft has a bad habit of giving up too quickly on most every endeavor they've attempted.

18. Bacillus macrumors 6502a

Bacillus

Same here.
    Looking forward to see you in 10 years, in the Apple Campus Heritage Museum

19. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

Somethings they give up on too early, and others they flog on until there is nothing left, no bones, skin, tissue...

20. goobot macrumors 601

goobot

Same was said 7 years ago.

21. TheFluffyDuck macrumors member

7 years ago we still had Steve Jobs, putting is all into Computers, tablets and the iPhone. Now its just iPhone and poor mans Spotify. Apple should have nailed online streaming years ago. But I cant find any new music, their music exploration sucks.

Im building a hackintosh next computer. I need power, but I dont want viruses and malware. Microsoft still ship a compromised by design junk OS; Apple now ship Fisher-price hardware and luxury costs. Doesn't leave me with much options.

22. jblagden macrumors 6502a

jblagden

Don't forget the Mac Pro and Mac mini!

23. jblagden macrumors 6502a

jblagden

So, down the road, the only Apple stuff we'll have will be iOS devices and our computers will run Windows?

24. jblagden macrumors 6502a

jblagden

I'm in a similar situation. I want my next "MacBook" to be repairable, upgradable and I want it to have a 512 gigabyte Solid State Drive along with a 2 or 3 TB hard drive.

So far, the best laptop I've found for my needs is the System76 Gazelle. System76 is an ideal vendor because their OS of choice is Ubuntu Linux, which should make driver acquisition possible, or at least easier.

I'm just worried that it'll be a lot of work to set up a laptop as a Hackintosh, and I've read a lot of comments about Hackintoshes requiring a lot of maintenance. I'm just not 100% sure a Hackintosh laptop is worth the work, though it would be nice to have one. Since a Hackintosh laptop might be more of a nuisance than it's worth to set up and maintain, I'm considering just running Ubuntu Gnome instead.

25. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

There are a couple of sites known as being dedicated to the Hackintosh crowd that cover various hardware combos for using OSX/MacOS including some full builds (out the door branded models of computers). My thought would be to find which models out the door have the least challenge for installing the OS. After that, I would always be behind the curve on the latest installs/upgrades and have to wait until word was out on how to fix any issues caused by those installs. The catch I suppose is that sooner or later, one must move forward with the OS and that to me, is the challenge of it all.