Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Classical Microsoft move.. Oh no wait.. this is Apple! Seriously, what has gotten in them these days? Form of function, fine. But money over substance? It gets worse and worse.

I said something similar comparing Apple to MS a few months ago only to get ripped with comments. I kind of feel like the new Apple, is becoming like MS from 2000ish.... Feel free to show me the hate.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Well, Beats 1 is really cool as a free alternative. To anyone switching I recommend Chart, Request, Haim Time, Beats LA and Beats NYC. Oh, and avoid Julie Adenuga's show.

Reactions: StupidMac

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
That's why I paid for iTunes match (radio without advertisements). Is it legal for Apple to cancel it for iTunes match subscribers ? ?

I did. I pay a yearly iTunes match subscription to get the ad free radio from Apple.

Of course it is legal. It is also legal for you to cancel iTunes Match.

Or were you thinking it would be similarly illegal for you to do that?

crazyninja

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2008
Lwhat does this mean for previous gen Apple tv access to radio streams?

I have the 3rd gen Apple TV and that is how I played music. I paid for iTunes Match, so it had no ads. That was the only streaming radio option offered on it since they decided not to put Apple Music on it. The only way to listen to music now looks to be your personal songs if you use iTunes Match so it has all your music. Or you are required to buy another newer device that has access to a streaming service that works?

Have they said anything about adding support for Apple Music on older Apple TV's? There isn't even a Spotify, Pandora, or any other option for streaming music on there that I am aware of.

Last edited:

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
I'm not sure exactly what was discontinued since iTunes radio is working for me. Apparently only the ad supported version was discontinued.

I'm okay with that.

However, I should mention, advertising does show up on some stations, even the paid version.

Enabledobject

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2014
Guess what? I use Apple Music every day. Love to use it while I work-out, and in my office. $10/month is a small price for something so useful in my life. I don't understand people who won't get something for $10. I can understand saving like $1,000 on something, but $10 is pigeon feed. I'm glad my finances are better than yours.

My whole model of listening has changed with Apple Music. Sure, I have options, I could choose Spotify, but Apple Music is more convenient and cheaper. The family plan brings our cost to less than $5 a person.

I now hear a song by an artist, and find out other albums the artist has made, and listen to the whole albums in their entirety. I'll find a few favorites and add them to my work or work-out playlists.

It works out to be more than $10 per month if you have to use data. I don't have unlimited data, so I won't be jumping on the streaming music bandwagon anytime soon

Apple a Day

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
iTunes and the Music app on the phone have become so cluttered you can't even tell what is what anymore.

Funny you say this, I was trying to play music the other day on my iPhone and I got so frustrated because the music app is so convoluted now it's impossible to find anything. I miss the simplicity of the older devices such as original iPods. Forget trying to play something specific in the car!

iOSFangirl6001

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2015
Well dam I just knew I was waiting too long to go for the free trial and now legit the day I decide to Apple gives its ecosystem the middle finger in both emoji and real life form :rolleyes:

Last edited:

thatChrisHarper

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2016
I've been an iTunes Match subscriber for several years now and that was primarily for ad-free radio to listen to at work. The announcement didn't mention iTunes Match as being affected, so I was cautiously hopeful that I could keep on listening.

But this this morning, after listening to my first song, it stopped playing and offered for me to pay for Apple Music. I went through with it because I listen every day and had already decided to do this in case my radio was cut off.

But what I can't figure out is if there is anything Apple will do for those of us who paid for iTunes match under the understanding that it included this service. But of course now it is no longer included in the T&C for iTunes Match. Maybe I will call support and ask for a refund.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
You never joined apple radio. It was there for free. They don't owe you anything for free.

As it was said on a few posts already, ad-free iTunes Radio was a part of iTunes Match subscription. So, people did join it. People did pay for it. It my opinion, Apple should compensate the Match users or allow them to cancel their subscriptions with a pro-rated refund for the remainder of their sub.

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
Could Apple please stop having the stupid Zane Lowe audio portion in between every 3-5 track when using the various Apple Music genre "radios"?

I love the radios, but being interrupted by a audio clip of Zane Lowe telling me that I'm listening to Pop Hits white skipping through songs is just stupid on every level.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Well dam I just knew I was waiting too long to go for the free trial and now legit the day I decide to Apple gives its ecosystem the middle finger on both emoji and real life form :rolleyes:

I think you might be talking about Apple Music? If that is the case, the stations are included in that.

imnotthewalrus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2015
earth
After 10 years of paying $10 a month of music, what will you have if Apple ends AM? You would have spent crap loads of money, and nothing to show for it.

What you will "have to show for it" will be the music you enjoyed without buying. Enjoying no limits on how much music you wanted to hear at any given time, by any artists, in any order. For God's sake, have you ever rented a movie? You pay less than buying it would have been and, for whatever period of time the rental is agreed upon, you can watch it to your heart's content. THAT is what ANY subscription service is about. Seeing/hearing/playing premium content during a limited amount of time for as often as you like during that period for FAR less than purchasing it outright. When it comes to media, people (I am NOT singling you out here) are really greedy these days.

Last edited by a moderator:

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
After Earnings call, and Wallstreet reaction this purely feels like a knee jerk move to try and show that they can make additional revenues to help with the prediction of decrease in device sales next year.

They're catering to Wallstreet and trying to bleed as much revenues out of their existing customer base as much as possible.

Beats 1 isn't bad. I've enjoyed turning it on from time to time to see whats playing (though rarely what i'd want to listen to), but if it requires a subscription? I might as well just un-install iTunes, because its literally the last thing I'm using from that horrible software

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
this stinks. I used it at work so I don't need to fill my work computer with songs/mp3s
it was great for my wife who has the 16gb iPhone and can't fill it with too many songs so she used Apple's iTunes Radio free. I also loved it and it was great to "share" stations and find new music that after a while, I decided to just buy those songs so I'd have them "permanently"

I get it. Apple's iAds failed. Apple's iAds paid for the FREE iTunes Radio. Apple failed. Apple pushed iAds to the wayside and is giving the profits to those companies wishing to sell or be the point-person. And because Apple no longer gets those profits, they had to ditch the FREE service because at this point Apple isn't making any money. and so, to make money, Apple needs to PUSH AND SELL Apple MUSIC.

The reason I don't like paying for streaming radio is because, though i love the music, I usually use it as background "noise". Paid TV subscription si different as I am more focused on the program (albeit less now with using phone at the same time). I also don't use Netflix/Hulu since I am already paying a subscription service for Television.

We have great local radio stations and some have an App which is nice. I have used Spotify in the past but didn't like how on the Mac when i try to pause with my headphones, it-insitead-starts playing iTunes and now I have 2 songs playing at once. Apple Headphone controls work best with Apple stuff...it is just something I'll have to get used to now though.

I won't be paying for Apple Music anytime soon. I get the $10/mo is cheap. but it adds up and over time I will have paid more into the streaming and have less to "show" for it. if after 2 years I stopped paying for AM I have nothing. if I have paid $10 +/- for songs purchased then after 2 years i can stop and still have those songs.

Nausicaa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Guess what? I use Apple Music every day. Love to use it while I work-out, and in my office. $10/month is a small price for something so useful in my life. I don't understand people who won't get something for $10. I can understand saving like $1,000 on something, but $10 is pigeon feed. I'm glad my finances are better than yours.

My whole model of listening has changed with Apple Music. Sure, I have options, I could choose Spotify, but Apple Music is more convenient and cheaper. The family plan brings our cost to less than $5 a person.

I now hear a song by an artist, and find out other albums the artist has made, and listen to the whole albums in their entirety. I'll find a few favorites and add them to my work or work-out playlists.

I'm personally a Spotify guy myself, but I agree with this sentiment. Whenever I hear people saying they "prefer to buy music" I just have to laugh. Spending $10/month on a streaming service doesn't preclude you from also buying albums if you want. Only you can also listen to a huge catalog of music and more easily discover new content.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I said something similar comparing Apple to MS a few months ago only to get ripped with comments. I kind of feel like the new Apple, is becoming like MS from 2000ish.... Feel free to show me the hate.
No hate for you here. You are correct. This was a very Microsofty move by Apple. I paid for iTunes Match in part because I wanted the ad-free radio service, and Apple pulled the rug on it when I still have four months left on my subscription.

The "Get on our wavelength" message is condescending, too.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
If it was part of iTunes Match and now it's not one could argue you were paying for it as part of that. I don't think Apple has lowered anyone's iTunes Match subscription fee.

What about the iTunes Match customers who did pay for it?

Members in the few countries who previously had free iTunes radio stations are obviously going to be a bit upset now the service has been taken away. Recommendations of alternative solutions would be welcome but there's no need to mock them.

I was paying for it.

iTunes Match customers were paying for it. Many were using iTunes Match just for the ad-free iTunes Radio....

The fact that iTunes Match customers received streaming music free was never a stated benefit or service of iTunes Match. They were never promised such service with iTunes Match. Just because I get girls driving a Ferrari doesn't mean I can get mad at Ferrari if I go out and don't get girls.

https://www.apple.com/itunes/itunes-match/

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204962

If you're upset, request a refund. I'm sure they're happy to make it happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.