Apple Ceases Selling Nest Products Online and In Stores

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 23, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has stopped selling the Nest Learning Thermostat and the Nest Smoke Alarm in its stores and has confirmed to Mashable that it will no longer be carrying Nest products. The Nest thermostat was still available online earlier this month, but a search for the Nest thermostat or smoke alarm now redirects customers to other HomeKit products.

[​IMG]

Apple's decision to stop offering Google's Nest products in its retail stores and online comes just over a month after the first HomeKit-compatible products became available for purchase. In early June, Lutron, iHome, Elgato, Ecobee, and Insteon began offering a range of smart lights, plugs, thermostats, room monitors, and more, all of which work with HomeKit.

The HomeKit-compatible Ecobee3 smart thermostat is a direct competitor of the Nest, so it's no surprise Apple has opted to stop offering Google's products in order to highlight accessories that are compatible with its own smart home platform.

This isn't the first time Apple has stopped offering products that directly compete with its own product offerings. Last year, the company stopped selling Fitbit activity tracking devices ahead of the launch of the Apple Watch and also culled several other activity trackers from its store earlier this year.

Apple's decision to stop selling the Nest thermostat comes as the company is working to revamp accessory lineups in its retail stores, cutting back on the number of accessories offered and packaging many of them in boxes that match its own design aesthetic.

Article Link: Apple Ceases Selling Nest Products Online and In Stores

2. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I'm shocked they have sold them as long as they have.

3. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

Makes sense if they are moving towards HomeKit enabled products and Nest doesn't have plans for that.

I currently have two Nest Thermostats and plan on swapping them out in the near future for something that does support/use HomeKit.

4. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

I ordered two garage doors and a fireplace from Apple.com before they took them down/ whew.

Control from your iPhone!!!

[​IMG]

5. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Has Nest officially said anything regarding HomeKit, IE, either that they're working on supporting it or that they have no interest in supporting it?

6. nezr macrumors regular

nezr

7. poematik13 macrumors 6502a

I smell a pending fall intro/launch of apple-branded homekit accessories.....

8. AppleMad98004 macrumors regular

My understanding is they are not a supporter of HomeKit in any form whether Nest or Android.

9. Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

Good to see Apple dropping a Google product.

That said, I don't see HomeKit going anywhere, either. Like the Apple Watch, HomeKit is one strictly for the gadget-obsessed, lovely people though they may be.

10. Kar98 macrumors 6502a

11. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Is it good? Why do they have to be enemies? I support Apple and Google and if they would play nice we'd have significantly better technology in our pockets.

12. Dwalls90, Jul 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2015

Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

"I'm willing to go thermonuclear war on this."

It's less to do with Apple maybe introducing something, and more the fact that Google bought Nest.

13. surfingarbo macrumors regular

surfingarbo

I contacted them a year ago asking about that. They asked me to fill out a survey on their website requesting it. I think only a few hundred had done the same. There were other more popular requests to Nest on their website at the time, and so I believe they take more of an interest from those people, rather than the few who asked for HomeKit.

I have the thermostat and smoke alarm, so would love them to integrate HomeKit!

14. nutmac macrumors 68040

About a month ago, I asked their Twitter account this exact question. Their response is simply that their products are not currently part of HomeKit.

15. henryhbk macrumors member

It kind of makes sense anyway. When I go to get a new smoke alarm or thermostat, my first thought is NOT "hey, I'll drop by the Apple store!" I can't imagine this was worth it to either party, lots of inventory across Apple and probably not a huge mover for Nest.

16. SteveBlobs macrumors member

I like the nest smoke detectors and am sad that home automation is going to suffer from competing standards. I think everyone should take a que from the car makers and the CarPlay/android auto issue (where car makers are deciding to support both standards) and support both standards.

17. macs4nw, Jul 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2015

macs4nw macrumors 68040

macs4nw

My very knowledgeable HVAC repair guy literally talked me out of getting the Nest thermostat..... something about all one's WiFi data and WiFi activity being uploaded to Google's servers, and not just that which is relevant to the operation of the thermostat.

Don't know if it's true, but it got me thinking, and I'm giving myself the benefit of the doubt. :eek:

18. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

There needs to be a MIDI of home automation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIDI#History

19. bigjohn macrumors 6502

bigjohn

this kind of thing is the same brand of stupid as when we heard Bill Gates dropped the hammer on anyone bringing Apple goods into his house. really Apple, you can't compete even in your own store. ok buddy.

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yeah, but that happened a while back already.

21. uid15 Suspended

uid15

Because we ALL need an "intelligent" smoke alarm and central heating, don't we? Yeah... no... the phrase "sledgehammer to crack a nut" JUMPS into my mind. The more technology there is, the more there is to go wrong. Seriously, a "connected" smoke alarm? Listen okay, a smoke alarm DETECTS SMOKE - that's ALL it needs to do. If you need it to do more, it's going to become progressively more unlikely that it will be able to RELIABLY (kinda important for a LIFE SAVING device) do the one, SIMPLE thing it needs to do, which is to tell you "HEY! I DETECT SMOKE - TAKE IMMEDIATE ACTION" - you're not going to be admiring how "cool" it is for being "intelligent", when your house is on fire.

I've been a qualified electronic engineer for 24 years, and an idiot for ZERO out of my 40 years. All these "intelligent" and "connected" gadgets just exist to validate the existence of smart phones, by dumb people.

22. dec. Suspended

dec.

Or like the Nest...

23. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yeah, it's not like it would be an advancement to have an alarm like that that could notify you of trouble if you aren't home at that moment. Or to be able to turn on or off or adjust your heater or cooling while you are away or perhaps in bed and don't want to go to a different floor across the house. No value at all to something like that.

Remote controls are just gimmicks too that only add more complexity and can clearly be without. Heck electricity is like that too when we can just use candles and not worry about all those complexities of power plants, transmission lines, etc., etc., etc. People lived just fine for thousands of years without any of that.

24. dav1dd macrumors regular

dav1dd

Must be a b*tch when you get dropped from a high traffic store like this... major blow to business.

25. LordVic macrumors 68040

I too have switched to candle power and am currently reading this via scroll delivered by Carrior Pidgeon OS :D

this evidence refutes itself :p