Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ios_7_icon.jpg
As of today, Apple has stopped signing the iOS 7.1.2 firmware, which will prevent users from downgrading from iOS 8 back to iOS 7 (via iClarified). This means that users who are unhappy with the changes that iOS 8 have brought or unsatisfied with bugs introduced with the update will be unable to downgrade back to iOS 7.1.2.

Apple's decision to stop signing iOS 7.1.2 is not unusual, as the company often stops signing prior versions of iOS shortly after the release of a new version of iOS. iOS 8, the latest Apple mobile operating system, was released to the public on September 17.

iOS 7.1.2 does, however, remain available for iPhone 4 users, as the iOS 8 operating system can only be installed on the iPhone 4s and later.

Released on June 30, iOS 7.1.2 is the latest version of iOS 7, which included minor bug fixes, security improvements, and a fix for an email attachment encryption issue.

Article Link: Apple Ceases Signing iOS 7.1.2, Downgrading No Longer Possible

adn rcd dly

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I kept a copy of my IPSW for the 4S just in case.

Edit: Thank you to all members of this forum for letting me know this is not possible with the file as it has to be signed by :apple: I throw myself on the mercy of the court and plead pure ignorance as I have never had to downgrade an OS or even though of it before 8.0. True it's very sluggish on my 4S, but I'm likely to replace it with the 6+ before too long. Again, thank you for letting me know what's up with IPSWs

Last edited:

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
This is unfortunate. Ios 7.1.2 was very stable. Ios 8 took all that and flushed it down the toilet.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Defense against bugs, from easiest to worst:

1. Wait at least a week or two before installing any new version of any product from any company.

2. Install right away! If a bug appears, wait for a fix.

3. Install right away! If a bug appears, install a downgrade, then wait for a fix before installing again.

#3 is almost NEVER worth the effort, and can cause problems all its own. People doing it needlessly is more harmful than helpful. If something so dire came up that #3 became necessary, Apple could easily choose to re-sign iOS 7 (or simply fix the issue quickly, as they did recently).

How does other people downgrading their devices affect your life?

Hardly at all--unless you're a developer! Otherwise, it only affects the time and effort developers have available to deliver goodies to you.

adn rcd dly

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
Interesting. All these years, I had no idea you could even downgrade, although the 8.0.1 problems made me rethink that for those who could revert to 8.0. I always thought iTunes wouldn't let you. Maybe this was why I thought that, if Apple shortly-after-release stopped signing the older versions.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Interesting. All these years, I had no idea you could even downgrade, although the 8.0.1 problems made me rethink that for those who could revert to 8.0. I always thought iTunes wouldn't let you. Maybe this was why I thought that, if Apple shortly-after-release stopped signing the older versions.

but they do / did

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.