Apple Celebrates Earth Day With New Apple Watch Activity Challenge

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 19, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Ahead of Earth Day, Apple is debuting a new Activity Challenge for Apple Watch owners, which will become available in the Activity app on the iPhone when Thursday, April 20 rolls around.

Apple is challenging Apple Watch owners to complete a 30 minute outdoor exercise activity on Earth Day, which is Saturday, April 22. For finishing the challenge, Apple Watch owners will be rewarded with an exclusive Earth Day award and stickers that can be used in the Messages app.

[​IMG]
    This is the third public Apple Watch challenge Apple has debuted since the Apple Watch launched in 2015. On Thanksgiving, Apple challenged Apple Watch owners to run 3.1 miles as part of a Thanksgiving Day Challenge, and on New Year's, Apple encouraged Apple Watch owners to "Ring In The New Year" by closing all three Activity rings each day for a week in January.

[​IMG]
    Earth Day Challenge stickers in Messages​

In honor of Earth Day, Apple employees are also transitioning to green shirts starting on April 20, and Apple will decorate its retail stores around the world with special logos that feature a green leaf accent.

Article Link: Apple Celebrates Earth Day With New Apple Watch Activity Challenge

2. doboy macrumors 68000

3. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Hah, I'll be photographing an outdoor charity event for my work for about half the day on Saturday. This will be easy! Supposed to be 45 degrees with 45mph winds and pouring rain though. Today it's 85 and sunny. Yay Earth!

4. Boatboy24 macrumors 6502a

Perfect. I'm scheduled for a long run on Saturday.

5. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

Call me a skeptic, but won't this create more CO2 than just sitting on the couch?

;)

6. Mlrollin91 macrumors G3

Mlrollin91

Very cool. I really enjoy these extra activity challenges.

7. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

After I couldn't win the Jan 2017 one, I am so winning this!
    Wish badges and Activity data synced with iCloud, it will suck to lose all my data when iOS 11 is released and I wipe the phone entirely :c

8. mcfrazieriv macrumors 6502

mcfrazieriv

Can't wait for my CrappleWATCH to somehow acknowledge only 29 minutes of my 30 minute outdoor exercise as "exercise" because of the terrible accuracy of the heart rate monitor ... resulting in not receiving yet another challenge medallion of absolutely zero value.

9. RiddlaBronc macrumors 6502a

RiddlaBronc

Are people really obsessed with badges and emojis? Jeebuz!

10. Reason077 macrumors 68000

Reason077

Earth Day is such a sham.

One day of the year when we declare our love for the environment, so we can continue with our abusive, unsustainable consumerism on all the other days? Cool, sign me up!

11. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Have you been to the internets? Fake points and gamification are all the rage.

12. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

Closing rings and earning badges is empowering and fun. Emojis not.

13. rajat8676 macrumors regular

Yeah yeah yeah... Earth Day! Now make a good iPhone 8 and make us proud :)

14. robjulo macrumors 6502a

Lol....creating cute stickers to celebrate earth day while bulldozing hundreds of acres of trees to build the monstrosity of a campus.

15. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

In honor of this showing up on my watch I shall have either pizza or a hamburger for lunch. :)

16. DTphonehome macrumors 68000

Hmm, for some reason "keep your perfectly good device for a while longer so it doesn't end up in the trash and resources are spent to make a new one" isn't one of the activities. Wonder why.

17. twinlight macrumors 6502

twinlight

It synched with mine when I changed from a 6 plus to a 7 plus. I had badges and activity saved.

18. thespacekid macrumors regular

And jetting around the world to receive awards is helpful too.

19. jayducharme macrumors 68030

jayducharme

The way things are going, maybe the watch can remind us about Earth Day by suggesting exercises digging coal or chopping trees.

20. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

Did you restore from a backup?

21. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

Yeah, that's Al Gore's job.

22. entropi macrumors 6502

Nice Apple. Now make all products easy to upgrade and change storage and switch batteries too. Let the customer freely choose witch OS-version they want to use and make them all secure. Because you already have a great energy-plan and make great longlasting products. (It is just A BIT unnecessary to use more materials than actually needed.)

23. twinlight macrumors 6502

twinlight

Ah yes I did. Obviously it won't work as you intended with just a sync from your old installation to a new and fresh installation.

Hopefully they figure that out in the future. Can hope for it in iOS 11.

24. mrgraff macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

They're just going to wear a different colored shirt tomorrow. Unless Apple is doing away with the blue shirts, transition seems like an odd word choice to me.

25. fh-ace macrumors newbie

Compare the two campuses. Old HP vs. New Apple. More trees, less asphalt and crowded buildings. In my opinion, The new campus is much better having seen both. Cheers.

Attached Files: