Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple CEO Tim Cook is attending the first state dinner of the Trump administration, which is honoring French president Emmanuel Macron, according to CNN. Cook is accompanied by Apple vice president of environment, policy and social initiatives Lisa Jackson.

Guests at the dinner, which is taking place in the White House State Dining Room, will dine on a goat cheese gateau with tomato jam and buttermilk biscuit crumbles, a rack of spring lamb with Carolina Gold rice jambalaya and a burnt cipollini onion soubise, and a nectarine tart with crème fraîche ice cream.

timcookstatedinner.jpg
Image via Paul Bedard

Other state dinner attendees, aside from President Donald Trump and Melania Trump along with President Macron and his wife, include Vice President Mike Pence, Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts, former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger, Rupert Murdoch, Olympic curler John Shuster, hockey player Meghan Duggan, Defense Secretary Jim Mattis, Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross, and CIA Director Mike Pompeo. Approximately 150 guests are attending.

Cook has met with Trump several times in the past, attending a December 2016 tech summit and a meeting of the American Technology Council put together by Trump. Most recently, Cook was in Washington D.C. to meet with Senators Mark Warner (D-Virginia) and Richard Burr (R-North Carolina).

Update: Cook will have a private meeting with Trump in the Oval Office at 1:45 p.m. Eastern Time on Wednesday, according to a copy of his schedule obtained by Bloomberg and other media outlets.

Update 2: Trump has now confirmed the meeting and says the discussion will be focused on trade agreements between the United States and other countries.

Looking forward to my meeting with Tim Cook of Apple. We will be talking about many things, including how the U.S. has been treated unfairly for many years, by many countries, on trade. - Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 25, 2018

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook Attends State Dinner at White House and Will Meet With Trump on Wednesday

craig1410

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2007
Scotland
I'm kind of surprised he chose to attend to be honest. But hey a free meals a free meal.

As Tim has said many times, you can't exert change from outside.

Speaking as someone who holds Trump in extreme disdain, I applaud Tim for his ability to engage despite obvious and profound disagreements with Trump policy. The sad fact is that Trump was voted as US president by the American people. What do you expect Cook to do? Dissolve Apple in protest?

budselectjr

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
Minnesota

Speaking as someone who holds Trump in extreme disdain, I applaud Tim for his ability to engage despite obvious and profound disagreements with Trump policy. The sad fact is that Trump was voted as US president by the American people. What do you expect Cook to do? Dissolve Apple in protest?

Resist we much. We much and we will much. About that, be committed.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Tim Cook does not look comfortable in black tie. And, for a man as wealthy as Cook is, that evening suit looks dreadful. (I think its the same one he wore to a Kennedy Center event a couple years ago.) The jacket fits like a sack and the trousers are baggy and wrinkled.

Yes, I know he is a business executive and not a movie star, but if you are going to do something - do it right.

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois

He’s the duly elected president of these United States. 60 million Americans voted for him. Criticize someone when you feel someone is wrong, but the “all Trump all the time” focus of people on the left is insanity. You people are absolutely deranged. It’s truly mind boggling.

Let the CEO of the worlds biggest company dine at the White House without an analysis of ***** Donald Trump and all the hand wringing. Get a grip, people, please. Most of your lives have not changed one iota since the guy was elected.

autrefois

macrumors 65816

Tim Cook is CEO of a company that is on their way to becoming a trillion dollar company. I don't think he needs to give Trump the time of day, and Trump certainly doesn't deserve it. Sometimes what you don't do (like not going to the dinner at Trump's White House) is just as important as what you do. This is a missed opportunity to distance Apple from a swindler who is helping to bankrupt the country by enriching himself and his buddies through insane tax breaks, and bankrupting the morals of the country by his racist policies.

Last edited:

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Tim Cook does not look comfortable in black tie. And, for a man as wealthy as Cook is, that evening suit looks dreadful. (I think its the same one he wore to a Kennedy Center event a couple years ago.) The jacket fits like a sack and the trousers are baggy and wrinkled.

Yes, I know he is a business executive and not a movie star, but if you are going to do something - do it right.
Considering he’s worn a tux like twice ever. Who cares. Steve looked weird in a tux too.
[doublepost=1524623160][/doublepost]
I just keep wondering how Trump is going to eat that dinner. Rack of lamb is best served medium-rare. He prefers his meat napalmed.
I know right ?! I thought the same thing. Nuked steak, French fries .....I guess he might eat the ice cream. Hahaha.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.