Apple CEO Tim Cook Attends State Dinner at White House and Will Meet With Trump on Wednesday

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacRumors, Apr 24, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple CEO Tim Cook is attending the first state dinner of the Trump administration, which is honoring French president Emmanuel Macron, according to CNN. Cook is accompanied by Apple vice president of environment, policy and social initiatives Lisa Jackson.

Guests at the dinner, which is taking place in the White House State Dining Room, will dine on a goat cheese gateau with tomato jam and buttermilk biscuit crumbles, a rack of spring lamb with Carolina Gold rice jambalaya and a burnt cipollini onion soubise, and a nectarine tart with crème fraîche ice cream.

[​IMG]
    Image via Paul Bedard

Other state dinner attendees, aside from President Donald Trump and Melania Trump along with President Macron and his wife, include Vice President Mike Pence, Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts, former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger, Rupert Murdoch, Olympic curler John Shuster, hockey player Meghan Duggan, Defense Secretary Jim Mattis, Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross, and CIA Director Mike Pompeo. Approximately 150 guests are attending.

Cook has met with Trump several times in the past, attending a December 2016 tech summit and a meeting of the American Technology Council put together by Trump. Most recently, Cook was in Washington D.C. to meet with Senators Mark Warner (D-Virginia) and Richard Burr (R-North Carolina).

Update: Cook will have a private meeting with Trump in the Oval Office at 1:45 p.m. Eastern Time on Wednesday, according to a copy of his schedule obtained by Bloomberg and other media outlets.

Update 2: Trump has now confirmed the meeting and says the discussion will be focused on trade agreements between the United States and other countries.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook Attends State Dinner at White House and Will Meet With Trump on Wednesday

2. Quu macrumors 68030

Quu

I'm kind of surprised he chose to attend to be honest. But hey a free meals a free meal.

3. craig1410 macrumors 65816

craig1410

As Tim has said many times, you can't exert change from outside.

Speaking as someone who holds Trump in extreme disdain, I applaud Tim for his ability to engage despite obvious and profound disagreements with Trump policy. The sad fact is that Trump was voted as US president by the American people. What do you expect Cook to do? Dissolve Apple in protest?

4. budselectjr macrumors 6502a

Resist we much. We much and we will much. About that, be committed.

5. Danoc, Apr 24, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  6. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Tim Cook does not look comfortable in black tie. And, for a man as wealthy as Cook is, that evening suit looks dreadful. (I think its the same one he wore to a Kennedy Center event a couple years ago.) The jacket fits like a sack and the trousers are baggy and wrinkled.

Yes, I know he is a business executive and not a movie star, but if you are going to do something - do it right.

7. tridley68 macrumors 6502

tridley68

Yuck yuck yuck Goat cheese I would have to stop at a drive thru before attending

8. blacktape242 macrumors 65816

blacktape242

oh no a liberal having dinner with trump, lets all go crazy..... who cares....

9. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

If they served that dinner to me as the president, I’d fire the chef.

Bring me some real food.

10. Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502a

Scottsoapbox

11. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

He’s unsure what to think about the lady. Nice classy looking woman. And, he’s looking at her like “what do I do???”

12. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Why was he invited? Also that’s not the right photo.

[​IMG]

13. Glockworkorange macrumors 6502a

Glockworkorange

He’s the duly elected president of these United States. 60 million Americans voted for him. Criticize someone when you feel someone is wrong, but the “all Trump all the time” focus of people on the left is insanity. You people are absolutely deranged. It’s truly mind boggling.

Let the CEO of the worlds biggest company dine at the White House without an analysis of ***** Donald Trump and all the hand wringing. Get a grip, people, please. Most of your lives have not changed one iota since the guy was elected.

14. Zenithal macrumors 603

15. dogslobber macrumors 68030

dogslobber

16. michaelant macrumors regular

michaelant

Thank you for the goat cheese gateau with tomato jam and buttermilk biscuit crumbles, and the rack of spring lamb with Carolina Gold rice jambalaya and a burnt cipollini onion soubise, and the nectarine tart with crème fraîche ice cream.

17. dogslobber, Apr 24, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2018

dogslobber macrumors 68030

dogslobber

Damn, Mrs Macron is a fine looking lady. France is privileged to have her while we’re stuck with an illegal alien as First Lady.

Tim Cook is sitting next to Mrs Macron.

18. chown33 macrumors 604

This "action figure" pose is definitely better than the "Tim the timorous" pose of the 1st post.

It's almost a "35th Anniversary of Risky Business" look.

19. Blackstick macrumors 6502

Blackstick

This is most certainly a “This would have never happened if Steve were still here!”

20. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Trump is going to have a private meeting with him to figure out when the mac pro is coming out ffs. Trump also might try to get a refresh on the mac mini to prove that he is the best negotiator alive.

21. PortableLover macrumors 6502a

‘The name is Cook, Tim Cook’ no idea why that popped in my head when I saw the bowtie

22. miniyou64 macrumors 6502

miniyou64

Major eyeroll

23. AsherN macrumors 6502

I just keep wondering how Trump is going to eat that dinner. Rack of lamb is best served medium-rare. He prefers his meat napalmed.

24. autrefois, Apr 24, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2018

autrefois macrumors 65816

autrefois

Tim Cook is CEO of a company that is on their way to becoming a trillion dollar company. I don't think he needs to give Trump the time of day, and Trump certainly doesn't deserve it. Sometimes what you don't do (like not going to the dinner at Trump's White House) is just as important as what you do. This is a missed opportunity to distance Apple from a swindler who is helping to bankrupt the country by enriching himself and his buddies through insane tax breaks, and bankrupting the morals of the country by his racist policies.

25. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

jonnyb098

Considering he’s worn a tux like twice ever. Who cares. Steve looked weird in a tux too.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 24, 2018 ---
    I know right ?! I thought the same thing. Nuked steak, French fries .....I guess he might eat the ice cream. Hahaha.