Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

cook_hero.png
Apple CEO Tim Cook sold an additional 30,000 shares of Apple stock over the course of the last few days, according to a disclosure shared by the U.S. Securities and Exchanges Commission.

Based on the Apple's stock price of $120 to $120.41 at the time of the transaction, the sale, conducted as scheduled based on Cook's trading plan adopted back in August of 2015, netted Apple's CEO approximately $3.6 million.

Tim Cook also divested 30,000 Apple shares last week, so he's received a total of $7.2 million in 2017 thus far. Following this week's transaction, Cook continues to own just under 100,000 shares of Apple stock, valued at more than $117 million based on Apple's current stock price.

In early January, an SEC filing revealed Cook earned just $8.7 million in 2016, down from $10.28 million in 2015. Cook and other Apple executives only received 89.5 percent of cash incentives during the year due to Apple's failure to meet its target performance goals for net sales and operating income.

Cook's 2016 salary was, however, supplemented by the vesting of previously awarded stock bonuses worth approximately $137 million, tied to Cook's tenure and Apple's performance under his leadership.

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook Cashes in Another $3.6 Million in Stock

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
Tim Cook is the Steve Ballmer of Apple. He does an excellent job at satisfying the shareholders while simulatneously releasing uninnovative lackluster products.

Yep. Its like waatching a slow motion car crash - exciting, until you see the blood,
guts, and entrails flying out of the broken windows.
[doublepost=1485304032][/doublepost]
Totally missed the part where it says "the sale, conducted as scheduled based Cook's trading plan adopted back in August of 2015" huh?

I guess you totally missed the fact that Cook told his brokers to sell once it got to that price.

MichaelQ

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2007
Dubbo, NSW
CEO selling off almost 40% of his part in the company? At what point do you get concerned?

Also - doesn't seem like it would cost that much for another company to buy Cook away. $12-$20 million to buy out his shares - seems cheap?

Carnegie

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2012
CEO selling off almost 40% of his part in the company? At what point do you get concerned?

Also - doesn't seem like it would cost that much for another company to buy Cook away. $12-$20 million to buy out his shares - seems cheap?

There's a typo (or a mistake, at least) in the OP. He still holds almost a million shares, not 100,000. So he's sold more like 6% in the last week or so.

He's sold 10,000 shares per day each (week) day since last Tuesday. The separate filings have to do with timing requirements for reporting such transactions. It wouldn't be too surprising if we see another filing later this week. Or maybe it'll just be the 6 days of 10,000 shares sold per day.

Reactions: orbital~debris

Cloudkicker

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2016
London, Canada/Los Angeles, CA
Is this blatant stock manipulation, like when Steve Jobs was dying & jumped the queque for a new liver & didn't tell anyone -- maybe even the board members -- so Apple stock wouldn't plunge?

The fact that he got away w/ it Scot-free sickens me. So I don't hold Cook in the same esteem, let alone *more* than Jobs.

Edit: I should have clarified that perhaps Tim knows something w/ ear to the tracks that a storm is coming to Apple. Why cash in your chips in later if you feel a cold streak coming (?)

Attachments

• 1480607698697.jpg
    1480607698697.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 117

TAC3D

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2017

cook_hero.png
Apple CEO Tim Cook sold an additional 30,000 shares of Apple stock over the course of the last few days, according to a disclosure shared by the U.S. Securities and Exchanges Commission.

Based on the Apple's stock price of $120 to $120.41 at the time of the transaction, the sale, conducted as scheduled based on Cook's trading plan adopted back in August of 2015, netted Apple's CEO approximately $3.6 million.

Tim Cook also divested 30,000 Apple shares last week, so he's received a total of $7.2 million in 2017 thus far. Following this week's transaction, Cook continues to own just under 100,000 shares of Apple stock, valued at more than $117 million based on Apple's current stock price.

In early January, an SEC filing revealed Cook earned just $8.7 million in 2016, down from $10.28 million in 2015. Cook and other Apple executives only received 89.5 percent of cash incentives during the year due to Apple's failure to meet its target performance goals for net sales and operating income.

Cook's 2016 salary was, however, supplemented by the vesting of previously awarded stock bonuses worth approximately $137 million, tied to Cook's tenure and Apple's performance under his leadership.

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook Cashes in Another $3.6 Million in Stock
[doublepost=1485305185][/doublepost]Get back to the vision and off the phone!
[doublepost=1485305390][/doublepost]
There's a typo (or a mistake, at least) in the OP. He still holds almost a million shares, not 100,000. So he's sold more like 6% in the last week or so.

He's sold 10,000 shares per day each (week) day since last Tuesday. The separate filings have to do with timing requirements for reporting such transactions. It wouldn't be too surprising if we see another filing later this week. Or maybe it'll just be the 6 days of 10,000 shares sold per day.
"I am not a crook" nixon

Reactions: Huck

Labeno

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
Hey Timmy,
I've been a mac user for years, and converted about 20 people. There's used to be lots of people like me helping Apple out. That's a lot of money in your pocket. But with your new laptop is a joke. My wife just got the new SurfaceBook... way better than a mac:
- Has a magnetic power cord connector, you got rid of magsafe.
- Has a touch screen, way better than a tiny touch bar on a keyboard.
- Screen detaches to turn into a tablet with a different visual interface appropriate for a tablet. With your money sucking model, I'd have to buy a laptop and a tablet.
- Has a very nice pen. I'd have to get an iPad Pro to use a pen.
- Has the option for Nvidia graphics do do more pro level CUDA development. Apple no longer supports the Nvidia option.
- Has two full size USB ports, the new laptop only has the mini C.

You have ruined what used to be a great laptop. Stop acting like everything is magical. Let me know if I'm being ridiculous with any of the above features found on the SurfaceBook, but not on the new MBP.

You're last name should be Crook instead of Cook because you only work for investors, and not your computer customers who used to promote your products. Apple mac way more money than Microsoft, and look what you've done to show for it. I will no longer promote Apple. You do the math for the long term effect of the many people like me who used to help Steve Jobs out.

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
And what does that prove? It didn't take a genius to see in August 2015 that Apple was at risk of losing steam, and he certainly saw before most of us here what was in the pipeline.

... But it hasn't been losing steam. AAPL stocks is at the all time high since late 2015.

Cook's allocation of RSU (I believe) is in August of each year, he's been submitting plans regularly and like most officers of any company - regularly sells them off according to plan each year.
(Usually the officer of the company sell because they get they have to pay the taxes which is due the for that year the RSU is granted).

The most likely scenario, is his plan says to sell when stock reaches $120. $3.6M isn't much compared to his current holdings.

Last edited:

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
I have to admit that I celebrated when Forstall left but lately I feel like I was rooting against the wrong guy. I didn't like his vision when it came to UI, but at least he HAD a vision.
A coupe of days ago, I had a "Memory" appear in my Facebook feed from 6 years ago... it was a screencap from my iPhone 4S with iOS 5. The first thing I said was, " I miss that design!"

mikezmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2014
NH
... But it hasn't been losing steam. AAPL stocks is at the all time high since late 2015.

Cook's allocation of RSU (I believe) is in August of each year, he's been submitting plans regularly and like most officers of any company - regularly sells them off according to plan each year.
(Usually the officer of the company sell because they get they have to pay the taxes which is due the for that year the RSU is granted).

The most likely scenario, is his plan says to sell when stock reaches $120. $3.6M isn't much compared to his current holdings.

Stock is transitory. This is not the only measure.

If you followed apple the pace of new ideas, innovations has stopped.

Apple will lose its fans and the the stock will crash.

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
... innovations have stopped...
Apple will lose its fans and the the stock will crash.

You mean Apple is "doomed"? Seems like kinda of drastic statement (lose it's fans and crash).

I'm disappointed with lack of USB, Kaby lake or marginalization of the so called "pro", as the next person complaining on this board but,
- Apple has been gaining more fans. It's just catering to more mainstream.
- People have been saying doom and gloom about Apple at least 10 years (or each release of a new Macbook ;)).
- The CEO for any public company legally bound/fudiciary to maximize value to it's shareholder. Sorry that's capitalism.
- Sticking to this thread about Cook taking money home ... it seems everytime Cook cashes in any stock its "doom", and he's a "bad person", because we didn't a USB or max Memory - and even worse "Crook", just turns around and donates most of his bonus to charity (such as 50000 shares in 2015) and made a commitment to donate most of his earnings like many other tech leaders. Some of these comments make it look like Cook is the most horrible guy/Apple is the most disappointing company in the world.

So the most probable outlook, is:
- Apple will continue to become more popular to mainstream fans (perhaps at the cost of power-users)
- Vocal enthusiasts/power-users will continue to call him a bad person for whatever reason (... they didn't get their Kaby lake or USB port).
- Apple continues to innovate, but perhaps not always the way you or I would like it.

I could be wrong, it's just my opinion (I'm just another fanboy/dumbass in the peanut gallery), but
if you don't believe me go back to MacRumors threads from 3 or 5 or 7 years ago and just read all the negativity.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.