Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
Not stupid, just ignorant and blinded by pride.

Maybe more the ignorance of others than anything else. Some people consider others feelings some people have other things on their minds like how the universe began.
Personally I don’t care one bit what a person is like if what they produce is amazing. He may have come across as arrogant but imagine he probably didn’t care.

He was one of the few people around that I had some real respect for with what he did and how he did it whilst restrained physically.

MarkB786

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
USA
Maybe more the ignorance of others than anything else. Some people consider others feelings some people have other things on their minds like how the universe began.
Personally I don’t care one bit what a person is like if what they produce is amazing. He may have come across as arrogant but imagine he probably didn’t care.

He was one of the few people around that I had some real respect for with what he did and how he did it whilst restrained physically.

Just to clarify the context, my comment was in response to Cambridge math dept comment in general, not Hawking specifically.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I had to look up this clip after I heard of his passing, classic.

I almost forgotten this episode ... thank you for posting this.

Seeing him smile and laugh was VERY cool a testament of his spirit which shows him to be ...

What a fighter to keep pushing forward for so long, despite the odds stacked against him. People like to talk about his intelligence, but they fail to recognize the mental fortitude required to deal with the problems he had to deal with physically. He will be missed. May he rest in peace.

Beautifully stated. I think it's his mental fortitude and sheer internal happiness that's kept him alive so many years, not the science or the pursuit to finish his work or interest in science. Having 3 children really helps too!!

His death took me by surprise. I mean, it shouldn’t, but it really did.
The world is incredibly lucky to have had such a brilliant mind for decades, well past his estimated life expectancy.

Rest in peace, Stephen. Your legacy will live on.
I will truly miss you, you’ve been such an inspiration and role model.

Resting in peace while travelling the cosmos.

Reactions: macduke

LinusR

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2011
Not stupid, just ignorant (different from stupid) and blinded by pride.

I struggle to follow your reasoning -- please forgive me for that.
Do you have anything to back up your claim that Stephen Hawking was arrogant? Is your assumption based on his research output?
It is science we are talking, after all. His work has (of course!) been peer reviewed, hence, according to the current level of understanding among the world's theoretical physicists, his theories describe the universe appropriately. That is exactly what natural sciences strive for.

Reactions: Falhófnir

Defthand

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

The greatest enemies of knowledge are the illusion of knowledge and the concealment of knowledge. Tell that to the architects of batterygate.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Very Inappropriate to attempt your usual Apple bashing on this post about the passing of a great man!

Trashing others, sadly, is the only way some can feel good about themselves. It also provides those who otherwise have no power in their lives, a minute or so of power.

Reactions: I7guy

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I struggle to follow your reasoning -- please forgive me for that.
Do you have anything to back up your claim that Stephen Hawking was arrogant? Is your assumption based on his research output?
It is science we are talking, after all. His work has (of course!) been peer reviewed, hence, according to the current level of understanding among the world's theoretical physicists, his theories describe the universe appropriately. That is exactly what natural sciences strive for.
I feel like people are perhaps confusing his wit with rudeness or arrogance - see @WBRacing’s post above (#107) as an example. If you aren’t used to that sort of humour I guess you could interpret it as rude or condescending?

Reactions: LinusR

tw1ll

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
You don’t know that, he might be a fan, he might of read his books, no one knows because Tim Cook is a private person.
Guess you don’t do sarcasm? I doubt Cook has read any of his scientific papers, in fact I bet money on it.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Considering Mr. Hawkins was diagnosed at 21 with ALS is it common today for people to live so long. Was he undergoing any unique treatments? 50+ years from the initial is phenomenal for ALS, yes?

deckard666

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth
A man who overcame bucket loads of adversity to become a foremost thinker in his field died and you lot are still fixated on Tim Cook, Jobs and point scoring. Rather than looking at your feet look to the stars...

Plus science is always theory and ready to be knocked down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: citysnaps

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Considering Mr. Hawkins was diagnosed at 21 with ALS is it common today for people to live so long. Was he undergoing any unique treatments? 50+ years from the initial is phenomenal for ALS, yes?
Jason Becker is the other person I know of who has beaten the doctors prognosis by decades.
But both Jason and Stephen were relatively well known so there could be many others out there who slip under the radar.
Both Stephen and Jason had/have incredible support from friends and family, I'd guess that would make a big difference in longevity, that and both were/are really driven and at the top of their game, mentality.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Becker

Reactions: Glideslope

grundoon

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2013
What seems pretty clear is that neither Tim Cook nor anybody here has read any Jane Hawking. That Dr. Hawking possessed an extraordinary and inspiring mind is not really in question. Whether he was an inspiring human being: perhaps not so much.

Reactions: gtg465x

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
You’re in a position to actually quantify this? Or it’s just your opinion?
You don't need to be a corporate behavior psych to recognize Cook’s personal PR: his perceived proximity to the (really) Great Minds on the planet.
Hawkins never publicly mentioned Cook in his proceedings or conversations, wasn’t even an Apple user, let alone fan - so he probably even doesn’t know Tim.
Reversely, what did Tim - with his great compassion for the impaired - contribute to Steven when alive ?
Now only to gain free publicity at his decease.
Cook probably figures he'll get away with that - as Hawking can’t respond anymore and the grey herds millions of people won’t notice or either ignore it.
Your commonplace reaction supports that notion.

Last edited:

Whathappened

Suspended
Mar 15, 2018
I kinda doubt Tim knew much about Stephen's writings. Just trying to sound cool.

I kinda think that’s something you and Tim share then.

Perhaps, but it is my opinion. Hawking actually KNOWS what happened prior to this universe coming into being? That to me is the epitome of arrogance (or stupidity).
Hey, thanks for proving it yourself! Obviously you have no idea of Hawking’s work.

Machead2012

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2011

Dawg....a bit off topic but I gotta say that your MacDawg Photo is the Mac Daddy! Love it!
Back to the thread...
[doublepost=1521107994][/doublepost]
Despite the title, in the article Hawking is basically saying we know nothing since time starts there at Big Bang, so we cannot trace back before that. It's not Hawking's fault that people misunderstand the issue, it's how journalists write these misleading articles.

Agreed! They do Hawking no justice at all! Journalism has a hit an all new low. Not that it has ever been anything special.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Hawking was a bozo. The sheer arrogance of the man for being so arrogant. So-called "geniuses" such as Melville or Feynman or even the late Steven P. Jobs were also arrogant, therefore it is morally imperative to downplay these men for their accomplishments, instead of understanding them as individuals with human flaws. Oh, the pretension of these "scientists" to believe they are somehow closer to "reality" because they use a process of observation to achieve some objective understanding. Hogwash, I say. Hog. Wash. We Philosophers have no need for such blandishments like "science," whose enterprise is seemingly always in flux as theories, which are hypothesis supported by evidence, are discarded or revised as new data is collected. But Philosophy? We can explain why a flower is beautiful. That happiness is possible just as long as you believe in yourself!

But, yes, it is entirely reasonable to discredit Mr. Hawking's life's work because he was so arrogant to have opinions. He was, after all, a physicist. And physicists are so arrogant as to say ghosts are not possible because of the dynamics of atoms and such things. No matter how well-supported opinions might be. It's the arrogance that should be considered. Just as it's morally imperative to discredit all of Melville's work because he was, in fact, a racist. I often like to stand before a room and denounce Melville and Darwin for their racism, not their work, and wait with great anticipation for the adulation I so strongly desire.
That was excellent.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
You don't need to be a corporate behavior psych to recognize Cook’s personal PR: his perceived proximity to the (really) Great Minds on the planet.
Hawkins never publicly mentioned Cook in his proceedings or conversations, wasn’t even an Apple user, let alone fan - so he probably even doesn’t know Tim.
Reversely, what did Tim - with his great compassion for the impaired - contribute to Steven when alive ?
Now only to gain free publicity at his decease.
Cook probably figures he'll get away with that - as Hawking can’t respond anymore and the grey herds millions of people won’t notice or either ignore it.
Your commonplace reaction supports that notion.
Talk about misplaced disdain, a commonplace reaction. Your post supports that. How dare cook eulogize a person who never used Apple products or didn’t know him personally. You’re correct, my bad, it was absolutely a pr grab.:rolleyes:

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Talk about misplaced disdain, a commonplace reaction. Your post supports that. How dare cook eulogize a person who never used Apple products or didn’t know him personally. You’re correct, my bad, it was absolutely a pr grab.:rolleyes:
Tim's mental or material support to Steven was zero.
You may then consider a late appraisal genuine, I consider it artifical/opportunistic.
Like a "Think Different" while keeping markets unaltered to milk them better

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Tim's mental or material support to Steven was zero.
You may consider a late appraisal genuine, I consider it artifical/opportunistic
A cynical person goes with the latter, a positive person goes with the former. As far as Tim to Steve it’s not the discussion, I didn’t know either to make that determination.

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
A cynical person goes with the latter, a positive person goes with the former. As far as Tim to Steve it’s not the discussion, I didn’t know either to make that determination.
You're so grossly uninformed - it is embarassing
Hawking originally used an Apple II but got it replaced it for an MIT speech synthesis device that offered him an 80's Amiga voice until his death.
Tim could have easily served him with all the better Apple tech available - but he didn't.
Says enough about his compassion with the disabled and proximity to Great Minds

Last edited:

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
You're so grossly uninformed - it is embarassing
Hawking originally used an Apple II but got it replaced it for an MIT speech synthesis device that offered him an 80's Amiga voice until his death.
Tim could have easily served him with all the better Apple tech available - but he didn't.
Says enough about his compassion with the disabled and proximity to Great Minds
Hawking tried multiple different hardware setups but *chose* to keep his "80s Amiga synth" voice because he came to consider it his voice, and the learning curve of any new system was pretty huge. He needed really specific support that Apple would have been in no hugely advantageous position to help with. https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn21323-the-man-who-saves-stephen-hawkings-voice#.U_cnolZ9qzA

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Hawking tried multiple different hardware setups but *chose* to keep his "80s Amiga synth" voice because he came to consider it his voice, and the learning curve of any new system was pretty huge. He needed really specific support that Apple would have been in no hugely advantageous position to help with. https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn21323-the-man-who-saves-stephen-hawkings-voice#.U_cnolZ9qzA
That’s just half the truth. He was reluctant to upgrade the instruction interface.
But the speech synthesis itself could have been 25 times better - it is nowhere near to anything that has a learning curve. And Apple has more tech that was never successfully offered - the only connection between Tim and Steven was that there was no connection

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.